I got my spring turkey!! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I got my spring turkey!!

MDT
04-19-2004, 13:45
I got a turkey!!! Wooohooooooo;f .

20 lbs, 1" spurs and 10.5" beard. Great hunt!!! There was a hen working in our decoys, she did most of the calling and drew in three good toms. After trying to ignore the pounding in my chest, I aimed at the big one and now he's in my freezer!!!

I'll try to attach a pic. All I had was my Sprint phone, so it's kinda crappy.

The fan is beatiful. right now it is drying with a heavy dose of salt. Can anyone give a suggestion on curing/drying the tail?

Thanks....

MDT

noway
04-19-2004, 14:50
1st off good job.

{ Can anyone give a suggestion on curing/drying the tail? }

Go down to walmart and get a box of the 20 mules Borax.

Once you successfully cut the fan & beard from the bird and removed all loose skin and fat ( very very important ). They you will preserve and dry theese items with the borax over about 10-15days and keep checking and adding the borax as needed. NWTF at one time had a "how to mount your tail" link or sometime my local walmart or cabelas will sell you a fan kit that gives details instruction in mounting the tail, it also comes with fan board for display it.

Good Luck, by the way letting the hens doing all of the talking is the best way to get a gobbler. My very 1st turkey was done that way, and a good thing because just like now I 've never been good with any mouth call. ;f

CanyonMan
04-19-2004, 21:28
MDT,

"Congrats"....

Like Noway said... man if you can let the real thig to the calling for ya... Go for it.

Enjoy the feast.

CanyonMan

Michigun
04-20-2004, 11:00
Congratulations MDT!

I shot my gobbler at 6:35am yesterday & had some of him for dinner that night around 5:30pm. Mmmm turkey... ^7

Roger C
04-20-2004, 13:45
You guys are making me so jealous......

Congrats!