Wierdest Thing [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Wierdest Thing

lohmeier
04-22-2004, 15:47
What is the wierdest thing you have every come across hunting, Hiking or Camping?

Basically anything out-of-place that you have found in the woods, desert, Swamp is fair game.

Mine came in 2001 when me and some buddys were exploring the National forest near our property. There are pockets of private property throughout the forest we were in. We must have popped over onto some private land and came across a Rock with a Window in it. Upon closer examination we saw that someone built a bunker joined to some granite and painted it where one could harldy tell the cement from stone except for the window. We didn't go in for fear of boobytraps.

mhambi
04-22-2004, 15:56
hmmm.

I was about 12 at the time. Directly south of my house was a large meadow that the deer used to come down into during the fall evenings to graze. I was quietly moving through some scrub oak to see how close I could get to them without spooking 'em. In between two large scrub oak bushes I found a dude, all camo'ed out with a spotting scope watching the deer. (no season going on, draw only area) I was literally 15 feet behind him, but he hadn't seen me. I quietly left.

I heard about a week later they busted some poachers in the area. I never knew for sure, but I'll bet it was this dude.

lohmeier
04-22-2004, 19:25
That would be freaky. Thinking your all alone..and then.;)

vafish
04-22-2004, 22:09
When I was out rabbit hunting in Central Australia a buddy and I came across what we were pretty sure was a shallow grave. There was a depression in the ground about the right size.

We tried to go back and show it to someone else later on, but we couldn't find the same spot.

I had a friend who was out taking some photo's around a water hole and 2 female German tourists drove up. They got out of their car, looked over at him, and proceeded to strip down and skinny dip. He had photo's so I know he wasn't lying. Some guys have all the luck.

firminw
04-23-2004, 13:52
I grew up on a farm and there was an old abandoned houseplace on it that had a cistern in the yard. The house was gone but the stone cistern was still there. One day just before Easter my dad and I were poisoning a LARGE Black Locust tree in the old yard with his Agent Orange cocktail and we decided to take the cover off that cistern. When we did we noticed that the walls of the cistern were polka dotted with pink, blue and greenish dots and they were moving. On closer inspection we noticed the dots were active, it was kinda overcast and it took a second or two for our eyes to adjust to looking down into the hole. When our eyes made out what it was the dots were on the backs of THOUSANDS of tarantulas. Times being what they were ol' Dad sprayed down the walls with his black market cocktail and threw in a match, toasted those tarantulas quicker than a cheap date. He'd be imprisoned in todays world,not for having access to a controlled substance but for killing those hairy a-- spiders. I never have liked insects or arachnids that needed to shave more often than me.

pizzaaguy
04-23-2004, 14:01
Quite a few years ago, I was cleaning an area for our firepit in camp.
I came across an old carroded coin. I thought it was an old quarter judging by it's size. I put it in my pocket. When I got home, I just threw it in my change jar. One day I needed some coins, so I pulled
some out and noticed that THAT coin was slightly larger than a quarter. I cleaned it up...it was a 1796 penny.

mhambi
04-23-2004, 16:46
Originally posted by lohmeier
... Basically anything out-of-place that you have found in the woods, desert, Swamp is fair game.

I was in the west desert (UT). I had been wheeling around in my Tacoma and was way out in the boonies. There was a series of low, steep hills (900-1200 feet high) that I decided to hike up. I mean this is an area were few people ever drive by, much less stop. I was about halfway up, just under a band of outcropping rock and found.....

.....ooooh the suspense......

a pink marble. Talk about weird! :)

Dogbite
04-27-2004, 21:33
I love reading these stories!!!Keep it up!!

valkyrie182
04-27-2004, 22:07
The fiance and I were doing some canoeing down in Big South Fork along the Kentucky-Tennessee border last summer. We picked out a good spot on the east side of the river and set up camp. We were walking about on the other side of the river and we came acrossed a tent, set up, with all of the camping gear set up around it, but it looked like it had been there for quite a while. The tent was sagging, everything was dirty, and had the look of being left unattended for quite some time. Looked like the people just got up and left everything. There was still a coffee pot sitting on a rock right next to the fire ring, still had stuff in it.
The whole thing just didn't seem right, who would leave all of this stuff behind, and leave it all as if they had stepped away for a short walk? Swear to god it was like they had just disappeared. Needless to say, everything got packed back up and we picked another spot about two miles further downstream.

coboconk
04-28-2004, 03:32
I was squirrel hunting with a friend once and he walked up to a tree and there was a Ruger 10/22 leaning against the tree. About fifty feet away he found a full box of 50 22lr. We figured it must have been a coon hunter or poucher that set his gun down and couldn't found it. My friend wrote a note and tacked it to the tree, saying he found something here and the owner could call and clam it if he could identify it. The note was on a bright yellow flier that was left on his windshield at the mall and he stuck it in his pocket. That was twenty years ago and he never did get a call, but he has shot a lot of game with that little gun.