View Full Version : Michigan U.P. handgun

FlintGlock
04-23-2004, 18:43
what would you pick for the U.P. woods?

Got Glox??
04-23-2004, 18:46
Originally posted by FlintGlock
what would you pick for the U.P. woods?

Explain a little more please......Like, what are your intentions?

FlintGlock
04-23-2004, 19:28
against animals and such

Got Glox??
04-23-2004, 20:04
Originally posted by FlintGlock
against animals and such

Well, for being soo vague with your intentions, let's assume it's deer? Or bear? Squirrel and rabbit maybe?

Regardless, all of my experiences (which are with seeing bears quite often) lead me to carry nothing less than a 44 mag and using Hornady 240 or 300 gr XTP's or Garrett 310 gr cast.

mikedb
04-24-2004, 20:07
I like to use my gp100 w/4 in barrel. I usually carry 180 winchester partition gold in thw woods and switch to 125gr gold dots in town.

Got Glox??
04-24-2004, 20:17
Originally posted by mikedb
I like to use my gp100 w/4 in barrel. I usually carry 180 winchester partition gold in thw woods and switch to 125gr gold dots in town.

357 with bears around;g;G Brave, brave man you are;)

mikedb
04-25-2004, 17:03
Originally posted by Got Glox??
357 with bears around;g;G Brave, brave man you are;)

Against black bears I feel very comfortable with a 357. I can shoot it very accuratly and fast. I addition to the partitions I sometimes cary hard casts. NOw when I lived out west a 44 would be order at a minimum

Got Glox??
04-25-2004, 17:11
Against black bears I feel very comfortable with a 357. I can shoot it very accuratly and fast. I addition to the partitions I sometimes cary hard casts. NOw when I lived out west a 44 would be order at a minimum

Have you ever shot a black bear with a 44 let alone a 357? I have shot a black bear (up north) in a defense situation with a 44 and know for sure he died with the 5th shot, but made sure with the 6th with all in the head, neck, and chest.;g

mikedb
04-25-2004, 17:43
Have you ever shot a black bear with a 44 let alone a 357? I have shot a black bear (up north) in a defense situation with a 44 and know for sure he died with the 5th shot, but made sure with the 6th with all in the head, neck, and chest.;g

wow how big was the bear? what kind of load? Did this happen in MI? how did th e DNR respond?

Got Glox??
04-25-2004, 18:16
wow how big was the bear? what kind of load? Did this happen in MI? how did th e DNR respond?

290 dressed. Hornady 300 gr XTP. In the UP. And i filled my tag;)
I was ready to shoot at a different bear, but i guess it was in the middle of rival territory. He came from my back left, i saw him, he moved faster and kept shooting until the threat was over.

mikedb
04-25-2004, 19:23
290 dressed. Hornady 300 gr XTP. In the UP. And i filled my tag;)
I was ready to shoot at a different bear, but i guess it was in the middle of rival territory. He came from my back left, i saw him, he moved faster and kept shooting until the threat was over.

what kind of penetration did you get with teh XTP? I have been using them in my 44 for deer, but have yet to get a shot at one. I did fill my tag this year but with my shotgun.

Got Glox??
04-26-2004, 08:20
what kind of penetration did you get with teh XTP? I have been using them in my 44 for deer, but have yet to get a shot at one. I did fill my tag this year but with my shotgun.

On deer, there should be no problem with penetration (even a pass through) because their skin and body frame does not absorb like a bears does. In saying that, not one pass through, head shots fragmented (2) chest shots full expansion, maybe 8" (3) one in the neck (last shot) that shattered the vertebra and traveled in fragments to the front of his neck.

mikedb
04-26-2004, 16:29
On deer, there should be no problem with penetration (even a pass through) because their skin and body frame does not absorb like a bears does. In saying that, not one pass through, head shots fragmented (2) chest shots full expansion, maybe 8" (3) one in the neck (last shot) that shattered the vertebra and traveled in fragments to the front of his neck.

Do you think you would have beeter off using hard cast bullets like buffalo bores?

Got Glox??
04-26-2004, 16:37
With no doubt in my mind!;Y