new poster [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : new poster

Dig
04-24-2004, 20:35
Hi all,
I found this site looking for a new pistol, ended up getting a G30. Then I stumbled on the "flight deck", a pleasant surprise! I'm an active duty Marine, CH-46E pilot. 17 yrs in, never out of the cockpit until now, I am in my first desk job, :( trying to make the best of it. All my helo time is in 46's except for my last tour where I flew the VH-60 and VH-3 with HMX-1.

Glad to be a part of the team!

Texas T
04-24-2004, 20:56
Welcome Dig!

;F

There are a number of active and retired "eggbeater" drivers on here so you'll be right at home.

With 17 years in the seat you should have some good contributions to our "There I was..." thread. Someone needs to step up and give M2 some competition for best "on the edge of your seat" stories. He's got some great ones though, so you'll need to dig into those gray matter cells for some good memories! :)

M2 Carbine
04-24-2004, 21:04
Hi Digger, Welcome.

I started in the Corps in 1955
and went through the Army Warrant Officer flight school (choppers) in 1964.

Go figure;f

Semper Fi

Dig
04-24-2004, 21:15
thanks fellas

I'll read through old posts and get the flavor for what folks post here.

I feel like I've had a guardian angel on my wing... haven't had as many in-flight emergencies as some I know. Plenty of good luck has helped me out...

thought for the day:
question: when do you officially start "running low on fuel?"
answer: as soon as you start up the aircraft :)

Pave Pilot
04-25-2004, 12:13
I'll read through old posts and get the flavor for what folks post here.

No, there a few old malcontents here....like me. You know the type, don't know how we have it, but Whine anyway....bwahahaha!;Q :) :)

Welcome. Ask me nice and I'll tell you HMX-1 '80's stories from "another" perspective......

Texas T
04-25-2004, 15:24
Originally posted by Dig
All my helo time is in 46's except for my last tour where I flew the VH-60 and VH-3 with HMX-1. There's gotta be some good stories there! ;f

Dig
04-25-2004, 18:25
I always knew that joining Uncle Sam's gun club would let me do things I probably wouldn't otherwise be able to do... but Texas T you are right. Flying the President around was both an honor and an incredibly humbling experience. To this day when I think about it I can't believe I was allowed to do it. More to the point, I am very glad that I didn't screw it up.

Texas T
04-25-2004, 21:51
Originally posted by Dig
More to the point, I am very glad that I didn't screw it up. Yup. That probably would have brought a quick ending to a long career. ;P ;f

I don't know what you can disclose about that assignment, but I'm sure I speak for others in saying that we're all ears (eyes) when you do feel like sharing. ;)

Or, on a more mundane level, go ahead and talk about how you got selected, what extra things you may have had to go through, what the challenges were, what was unexpected, etc.

T

Dig
04-26-2004, 14:48
T, getting selected to HMX is not really hard flying wise, but you have to have a pretty squeaky clean background. They go back through your entire life, it makes the regular SSBI (background check) look easy. Any helo bubba can apply that has over 1500 hrs. Mostly you are selected by a jury of your peers, which is the best way, because the Corps is small enough that somebody knows about every applicants' rep and record. You spend 4 yrs at HMX. Assuming that you do OK in training you fly as a White House co-pilot after a year to a year and a half, just depends. Each year 5 or 6 new Marine One pilots are selected out of the fourth year group, they are the M1's until they leave out of the squadron. A year was enough for me. The flying itself is not particularly demanding, (unless wx sucks) it just has to be done as close to perfect as you can make it every time, and there just isn't room for error. Actually I guess the most stressful part about it is making the wx call when wx is close to margins... the decision has to be made some time in advance to allow for motorcade prep so the worst situation to be in is at wx call time the wx is below mins but forecast to come up before the actual lift (flight). That decision is solely the M1's. And even with the best wx forecasters in the world at your disposal sometimes it comes down to a guess. Those are the times I won't miss!

Superfueler
04-26-2004, 22:06
I work with a guy that was a crew chief in HMX-1 a while back, used to be on the -46. I think he was gone before you got there go, been out for 6+ years now.

Not sure if you can answer this, but what is the mission of the VH-60? Whenever the President comes to my airport, they have the -60 stuffed in some hangar somewhere, even if he is there for just an hour or so. I am assuming it is in case he needs to get out of there RFN, and Air Force One can't do the job. Am I close? Can you add anything?

Dig
04-27-2004, 15:15
Superfueler, the VH-60 is used for executive transport just like the VH-3. However the principals typically prefer the H-3 because the cabin is much bigger and more comfortable. Sometimes range/speed issues dictate the 60 being used for a lift, since it's faster and has longer legs. As to why a 60 was in the hangar there, sorry I can't get into that. ;Q I hate playing that secret squirrel routine but rules are rules and I don' wanna go to jail

Texas T
04-27-2004, 17:05
Originally posted by Dig
I hate playing that secret squirrel routine but rules are rules and I don' wanna go to jail Pssst... hey dig... my real name is Connie Chung and you can just whisper in my ear... I won't tell anyone else. ;)