Do yall still wear your dog tags? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Do yall still wear your dog tags?

Central Texan
04-26-2004, 20:17
Howdy yall.
I wear my tags whether I'm in uniform or not. I guess I just kinda feel nekkid without them. My Dad was comenting about this yesterday when he saw them while we were working on my lil sister's car.
He told me that he wore his tags for about 12 years after he got out of the Army and continues to use one as his key chain for his car and one for his motorcycle.
I was just wondering if any of yall still wear your tags or use them for something like my Dad does.

RussP
04-26-2004, 20:57
If some of us had continued wearing them the chain/cord holding them would have worn out long ago.;f

Don't wear them, but I still have mine. They are wrapped with the same tape just as I wore them on my last combat mission 30+ years ago... I never could bring myself to break that tape; superstition I guess. Like when I went home on leave in between my two combat tours and shaved off my mustache. First mission after coming back was about the closest I came to dying. Didn't shave the upper lip again until years after I left the service. Superstitions, that's another thread...;)

leadbutt
04-26-2004, 22:59
Don't wear'em any more, but always have one in my pocket

TScottW99
04-27-2004, 03:44
I lost mine in the swamps of Camp Lejeune somewhere and never replaced them. If any jarheads find them please send them to me ;f

Chopperdog
04-27-2004, 04:58
I have one on my keychain.

truckstop cop
04-27-2004, 05:35
dont wear em but still got em ,i think i still have a pair of jungle boots with them tied into the laces.

JaviFL
04-27-2004, 05:58
Lost track of mine a while ago. I wish I still had them. I have considered getting new ones, but it just wouldn't be the same.

pizzaaguy
04-27-2004, 05:59
Since my discharge in 1976, I've had one tag on my key ring.

xcrewman
04-27-2004, 06:25
laced in my hiking boots (tounge area). easily to ID...when shtf, traveling...

justkidding

noway
04-27-2004, 08:04
Yeap still have mine and wear one around the neck with orginal chain. Tag is scratched up and bent from using it as a screw driver a few times,but it is still readable. It is actually the oldest thing I own next to my copy of my Birth Certificate.

04-27-2004, 10:19
Keep one on my key ring, along with a P-38 ;f

Had another set made, and I wear 'em to work (pistol range).

pizzaaguy
04-27-2004, 11:13
Originally posted by sjstill

I forgot about the can opener!
I got a P-38 on the keyring, too! ^c

Central Texan
04-27-2004, 13:09
Oh the P-38! Hahaha. Ya know, when I first saw one I had no freaking clue what it was! Our MRE's are a far cry form the ol C-rations, you dont need anything but fingers to open it, warm your main course, or eat it. Everything is provided and the main bag is easy to open now (vs having to chip a tooth or use a knife on the earlier MRE's). So when my dad was fiddling around with a P-38 I asked him "What the heck is that?"
He just laughed and said "Boy, if you only knew what we had to go through just to get a meal while in the field". Hahaha, I could see in his face while he started telling me stories just how much he realy missed his time in the service.
I knew we had it good compared to the soldiers before me, but I gained a whole new respect when I tried to open a can of peaches with his P-38, but I guess if your hungary enough a guy would do what ever it took to get a can open! Hahaha.

4TS&W
04-27-2004, 13:31
Keychain here too..

..even though I know it's not a good idea, since it has my social on it.

whiskey_moodz
04-27-2004, 18:30
I still have mind. The only time I wear them is when I am camping or when I fly. Force of habit I guess...

Whiskey Moodz

Steve in PA
04-27-2004, 23:27
I wear one dog tag on a chain around my neck along with a spare handcuff key when working (LEO)

04-28-2004, 07:56
Originally posted by Central Texan
Our MRE's are a far cry form the ol C-rations, you dont need anything but fingers to open it, warm your main course, or eat it.

HA! You must have been issued the new and improved MRE. The last one I got (1985) had a can of tuna fish in it..... along with a P-38.;)

And no, I don't still wear my dog tags. But I do still have them.;f

Central Texan
04-28-2004, 15:10
Yes'r! Easy open bag, chemical heater, tabasco sause, salt, pepper, gum (also a laxitive;P ) matches, toilet paper (but still not enough to prevent your finger from sliping through;g ) fork, main course, "desert", some times candy, usualy some kind of fruit, all kinds of goodies!

MR. Fantastic
04-28-2004, 21:39
Not only do I still wear my dog tags but I also stamp my name on all my skivies, sound revelie at 0530, prepare for field day inspection every Thursday evening and have a fresh high and tight haircut for work every Monday morning. Seriously though, I don't know what happened to my old set, I know I have a couple of spares in an ammo can somewhere.

;T

jawjaboy
04-29-2004, 04:13
Couldn't tell you what happened to my tags, don't know. But I do still have and carry on my key ring the P-38 that came in a "ham dinner" box that I opened on Christmas day in 1969. Still use it too.

John's 26
04-29-2004, 09:04
...I wore them for the longest time. Then, for some reason I took them off. Don't really know why. I do still have my original set I carried for 20 years in a safe place as a keepsake.

John

Delta
04-29-2004, 09:39
I wore mine for about ten years after I got out, now they are in my gun safe along with various other medals and awards, important paperwork, and guns.

I wear them if I am going hunting, or flying.

B

CarlosDJackal
04-29-2004, 11:47
I wore mine for a while. Nowadays I have them in my neck wallet.

You can take teh man out of the military. But it's near impossible to take the military out of the man.

Bonk
04-30-2004, 10:33
I have two pairs...they made us get a second set on my first deployment.

My first pair from Boot Camp are still on the chain (threaded through a stretch of 550 cord) in the pocket of one of my old utility shirts, which is in a seabag downstairs somewhere.

I took the other pair, separated them, then safety-pinned one onto the front of each of the two covers I have for the bullet-resistant vest I wear at work (city LEO). I figure if ever there was a time where finding out my name, SSN, and blood type in a hurry would be helpful, then heaven forbid if I get hurt, it would be then.:) Kinda morbid, I know, but I consider it forethought.

joefred
05-02-2004, 16:07
I carry mine on my key ring, have ever since my discharge in 1970. I don't know why, just something that makes me feel comfortable doing.

glockjunkie
05-03-2004, 14:04
I don't wear mine but I do have them proudly displayed on the rear view mirror in my truck. Semper Fi til I Die.

Lou Abbott
05-03-2004, 18:03
:)
Mine's on my keychain. A little worn, but then we have a few miles on us.
AVCM(AW) Retired

RussP
05-03-2004, 19:15
Originally posted by Lou Abbott
:)
Mine's on my keychain. A little worn, but then we have a few miles on us.
AVCM(AW) Retired Lou, I checked your profile. What British cars do you rebuild?

I once owned a 1970 MGB-GT ;3 that I wish I'd never given away.;1

fade2black
05-04-2004, 17:31
Originally posted by MR. Fantastic
Not only do I still wear my dog tags but I also stamp my name on all my skivies, sound revelie at 0530, prepare for field day inspection every Thursday evening and have a fresh high and tight haircut for work every Monday morning. Seriously though, I don't know what happened to my old set, I know I have a couple of spares in an ammo can somewhere.

;T

ROFLMAO I have to go get mine out and start wearing them again now.

skyboss_4evr
05-04-2004, 22:39
I still wear my dogs tags everyday, religiously. People often ask me why. My reply as you vets will understand is that my tags are a reminder of where I came from, what got me to where I am today and a reminder of those before me who defended this, the greatest nation on Earth. Call me a patriotic, sentimental fool and I won't argue because that's exactly what I am.

;?

python1340
05-04-2004, 22:43
I haven't seen mine in a few years, and have a disturbing feeling one of my ex-girlfriends got them. It's not like those things are replaceable.

Alpha 4
05-04-2004, 22:55
Keep one on my Glock key ring.;j

BilltheCat
05-05-2004, 19:34
Lost mine years ago. Somewhere betwen the first and second wife.
I hear I can replace em somewhre.

may try.

randy_b
05-05-2004, 19:54
link right here (http://safetytags.com/viewProduct.php?proProId=25)

I couldn't find how to get them directly from the VA, but if you're interested, PM me and I can get some more info from our Mobility folks after I return from leave on the 18th.

Randy

rotorhead
05-06-2004, 11:23
Still carry mine,my fathers,and my mothers(WASP)on my gun safe keyring.:cool:

socioloco
05-06-2004, 21:18
Originally posted by Central Texan
Oh the P-38! Hahaha. Ya know, when I first saw one I had no freaking clue what it was! Our MRE's are a far cry form the ol C-rations, you dont need anything but fingers to open it, warm your main course, or eat it. Everything is provided and the main bag is easy to open now (vs having to chip a tooth or use a knife on the earlier MRE's). So when my dad was fiddling around with a P-38 I asked him "What the heck is that?"
He just laughed and said "Boy, if you only knew what we had to go through just to get a meal while in the field". Hahaha, I could see in his face while he started telling me stories just how much he realy missed his time in the service.
I knew we had it good compared to the soldiers before me, but I gained a whole new respect when I tried to open a can of peaches with his P-38, but I guess if your hungary enough a guy would do what ever it took to get a can open! Hahaha.

Check it out:

http://www.georgia-outfitters.com/page52.shtml

CheesyD
05-08-2004, 22:13
We were never issued dog tags. (USAF '76-'80)

Adams454
05-09-2004, 17:00
I have my original set hanging on a shelf, wraped around a USMC birthday ball glass that I got in 97. I have a set that I had made of brass in jacksonville, NC. Ones on my Keychain the others on my bag that I carry at work.

Lou Abbott
05-09-2004, 18:21
RussP,
I have Sunbeam Tigers (two). One is about 85% and the other is a parts car for now. Whatever I take off of it, I restore and put on the shelf. A screaming mochine'. 260 cubes of whoop ass on the local Camaros, Stangs and older vets. Lots a fun!
Lou;z

05-09-2004, 19:59
Originally posted by CheesyD
We were never issued dog tags. (USAF '76-'80)

That's odd - I was USAF 78 - 82, and I was issued tags. I was at a SAC base. Don't know why that would make a difference.

05-09-2004, 20:00
. (double tap ;f

pbass
05-10-2004, 08:52
Coming in second in the category "Dumb Ossifer Tricks," after the movie <i>Top Gun</i> came out, my Commander started wearing his to the pool to impress the ladies. Being enlisted to the bone, my answer is "Not no but HELL no." Just in case you were wondering, the number one winner is when we were playing off duty in a blues bar and he came in, sat on a table where two ladies were enjoying the music, pointed to us and said "I'm their Commander, they have to salute me," then handed them his official calling card with his home number scribbled on the back.

RussP
05-10-2004, 09:31
Originally posted by Lou Abbott
RussP,
I have Sunbeam Tigers (two). One is about 85% and the other is a parts car for now. Whatever I take off of it, I restore and put on the shelf. A screaming mochine'. 260 cubes of whoop ass on the local Camaros, Stangs and older vets. Lots a fun!
Lou;z One pulled up beside me in San Francisco once. "Cute car," I thought. Light turned green and my next thought was, "What the hell is under there. ;P Last I saw of it was the distinctive tail end two blocks away...

Oh well...

Yes, I know what a Sunbeam is. Somehow, Solar Flare seems more appropriate for some!!!!!;f

Ravenn
05-10-2004, 10:27
Got mine still on a grenade pull ring, with a P-38.

fnfalman
05-10-2004, 13:55
I still have my dogtags but I don't wear them any more for the same reason I don't wear my uniforms any more. I ain't a soldier no more.

MR. Fantastic
05-10-2004, 18:29
Patriotism dosen't make you a fool.
Foolishness is not being patriotic.
;?

MR. Fantastic
05-10-2004, 18:41
Originally posted by skyboss_4evr
I still wear my dogs tags everyday, religiously. People often ask me why. My reply as you vets will understand is that my tags are a reminder of where I came from, what got me to where I am today and a reminder of those before me who defended this, the greatest nation on Earth. Call me a patriotic, sentimental fool and I won't argue because that's exactly what I am.

;?

Patriotism doesn't make you foolish.
Foolishness is not being patriotic.
;?

Thats what I meant to do.

MR. Fantastic
05-10-2004, 19:36
Originally posted by pbass
Coming in second in the category "Dumb Ossifer Tricks," after the movie <i>Top Gun</i> came out, my Commander started wearing his to the pool to impress the ladies. Being enlisted to the bone, my answer is "Not no but HELL no." Just in case you were wondering, the number one winner is when we were playing off duty in a blues bar and he came in, sat on a table where two ladies were enjoying the music, pointed to us and said "I'm their Commander, they have to salute me," then handed them his official calling card with his home number scribbled on the back.

I love dumb ossifers, they crack me up, especially the real young ones.
You know what's funny, last summer I spent a lot of time at the on-base pool and I don't recall seeing many dog tags on the guys there. They were all obviouslly Marines but diddn't have their tags on. However, I would frequently see some wearing those goofy OD Daisy Duke PT shorts. They were obviouslly kids fresh out of boot camp still wearing that bewildered look on their faces.
Now that I think about it the entire time I was in the Corps I didn't really see too many Marines wearing them at all times. I remember it being real popular with the younger guys but after a few years in they'd slowly stop wearing them as much. I remember them being a hindrance and the chain would always break so I would kind of wear them off and on. I do recall however, that everybody had one looped through their left boot laces.
Nowadays I go to college and I'll see kids wearing them on the outside of their shirts, which I think is tacky as hell. They're most likely reservists if their going to college and want to show off to everybody "hey everyone look at me, I'm in the military." This annoys the hell out me. That or they're wearing the dog tags of a loved one deployed or deceased, which I think is honarable.

M2 Carbine
05-13-2004, 18:29
;f

http://img44.photobucket.com/albums/v135/Bell406_206B/206_dogtag.jpg

USMC79to83
05-16-2004, 08:56
I still have mine.

Wear 'em when I'm on the motorcycle, or exploring in the desert.

I'm new to Nevada, having just moved from the Boston area. There's so much open space here, it's great.

Not sure why, but I feel more comefortable with them around my neck.

Cheers,

db

Adams454
05-16-2004, 20:58
This is hanging on the wall in my spare bedroom.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid110/p17f8970ad1877477d39a8011840a1e47/f915d078.jpg
And this is on my dresser
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid116/pc37f77e20ce9bee716725f15cb865d3d/f8a59155.jpg

Jtemple
05-24-2004, 21:10
They have my DNA on record. We weren't required to wear them after boot camp. So, I didn't. I gave mine to my mom.

A.F. Lineman
05-25-2004, 00:42
I had a set of mine gold plated while I was in Saudi, a few years back. Figure my kids will put them in a shadow box, when I retire.

Cowgunner
05-26-2004, 17:54
I still have mine, one on the chain in my dawer, and the other one still laced to my jungle boots.

Angel Of Death
05-28-2004, 13:47
Strange, I don't wear mine now (active duty) but I think I will when I get out.....

Ol'Duke
05-28-2004, 14:41
When I go to the woods, I wear them...just in case. ;P

tenmikemike
05-31-2004, 03:22
I wore mine for a while after I got out, then put them in the outer pocket of my seabag. The P-38 ( we called it a John Wayne in the Corps!) stayed on my keyring until it kept opening in my pocket and stabbed my thigh. After that I relegated it to my trinket box.

WYO.Kid
05-31-2004, 12:09
Still got mine, stored in dresser drawer with a lot of other "old timer" stuff, including the p-38. Hate to give up my age, but mine don't have the ssn on em...they have a "Service Number".

Hope you all are having a goood Memorial Day Weekend!

;? ;? ;?

tenmikemike
06-05-2004, 17:18
On a very sad note, I have just received word that Ronald Reagan has passed away at 93 years of age. Very sad day for American conservatives from coast to coast. Not to start a flame war or anything, but IMHO he and Teddy Roosevelt were the two best Presidents of the 20th century.

Cava3r4
06-10-2004, 18:14
they took mine off of me when I got medevaced out.
Last year I got a phone call from a guy telling me they recovered my tags. They gave me back one of them at the Howard County Vietnam Veterans Reunion last year on the stage in a ceremony. The US Govt got the other one as it is "their property" I was told.
Mine is setting in my nightstand as I don't want to lose it again.
Bob

kestrou
06-14-2004, 23:19
Got mine "guv'ment issued" but was never in the military! Spent nine+ years as a civvie (guv'ment employee, not contractor) with a large "agency" HQ'ed near D.C. and regularly travelled to out of the way corners of the globe (from 1986 to 1995) - often had to "look military" ;f

Only wore them for those "special trips", but still have them today as a souvenir.

kestrou

06-15-2004, 11:39
Kestrou, the more I find out about you, the more you amaze me ;P

kestrou
06-17-2004, 07:13
Kestrou, the more I find out about you, the more you amaze me ;P

Steve - we should have a beer sometime! Except I (practically) don't drink - average about two beers per year - can I put you down for sometime in 2007? ;f

kestrou

06-17-2004, 09:07
I think we can pencil somethin in for '07 ;f

I'd have to make mine root beer, though. Quit over 12 years ago, was stunting my growth ;P

kestrou
06-17-2004, 21:00
I'd have to make mine root beer, though. Quit over 12 years ago, was stunting my growth ;P

Since you're drinkin' root beer too, then maybe we can plan something sooner?!

Good thing you got your growth stunted there, shorty! ;f

kestrou

graybeard38
06-17-2004, 22:38
Since 54 I've always had my tags on(retired in 84). In 2000, I dropped from a heart attack. Some nice person lifted my wallet and when I got to the hospital the only ID I had was my dog tags. They had my name, but one of the nurses, who was in the Army Reserve, ran my old RA number. They got all the info on me that they needed. When I was stable, they transferred me to the local VA hospital, where I had by-pass surgery. They returned my old tags, plus gave me a new set with my SSN, which I now wear. Yes, that nurse get's a dozen red roses on the 27th of Sept every year.

"Shoot straight, but first"

Glock 22
S&W 4038
and several others

TheBelly
06-18-2004, 15:38
I still wear mine, even though I'm not enlisted anymore.

I'm going to college now trying to be an 'ossifer.' I see all the ROTC-only cadets at my college (tags hanging out of the shirts) and can't wait for them to get their first taste of the "Real" Army.

Makes me chuckle.

WesFL
06-26-2004, 13:49

act235
07-17-2004, 00:45
my father now 74 is a chosin vet. He wears one tag on each key ring and gave his first set from boot camp to my daughter who wears them often on original chain. She is proud of her grandad and we have tried to instill in her a sense of gratitude for all their service

ecgRN
07-17-2004, 01:18
Wasn't in the service, but was an army brat. My folks had all the kids wear dogs tags during the height of the Cold War. We spent ALOT of time overseas, and kidnappings and terroism was in full swing (i.e. IRA vs. British soldiers in area). Still have tags, keep one on key chain.

on target
07-18-2004, 11:58
Took them off 36 years and 7 months ago and I haven't looked at them until today when this thread prompted me to see If I could find them. I did and I hope its another 36 years and 7 months till the next time LOL (that would make me 96)

WIG19
07-20-2004, 12:00

Ditto, along with a beat-up Zippo case that slowed down a piece of shrapnel. Who says smokin's bad for ya? ;j
"RA's first ;+, US's next :), AR's & NG's to the back of the chow line!" ;1

Riverweasel
07-20-2004, 12:53
I know this dosn't count because I was never in the military, but I got my dads tags from WWII. He passed away 8 years ago on 9-11. I don't wear them but I treat them like gold. If those tags could talk they would tell horific tales of Warsaw, probably some i've never heard.

God bless our troops and, a heartfelt thanks to all vet's.;?

jtshombre
07-21-2004, 18:10
One is on my key chain, has been since I was discharged. If my tag won't go on the ring, I get a different one! I often wonder anymore tho, it has my SSN on it, and with all the identity theft, makes you wonder. I also have my deceased dad's dog tag, he was a 23 year 100% disabled Air Force vet who passed away from his disability. Don't need an excuse to think of him, but it's a nice reminder.

I also used to keep a P-38 on my key chain, but I stabbed myself one to many times with it and finally removed it. Used it a couple of times, but not enough to justify the puncture wounds! Take care,

Central Texan
07-26-2004, 11:34
This is great hearing ya'lls stories. Thanks for the replys.

Squid.HM2
07-26-2004, 17:07
Looking it my key ring now,lets see...dog tags with notch in them check...P38(john wayne)check...short timer chain check..yup all here

Grim Jackal
08-03-2004, 01:00
Nah, I don't wear them anymore. My Pops served in Vietnam, two tours. Well when he died my mom gave one of his dogtags to me and one to my sister. Now I have two children, one boy, one girl; so when I die my wife will give them each a dogtag, my son will get my Pops' dogtag as well as that is his right as I see it, he's first born.

sacluded
08-03-2004, 17:11
Mine is somewhere in my house hold goods shipment sitting at Travis Air Force Base. It was hanging on a chain on my desk when the movers packed everything up. Once my stuff gets here it'll go back on, or on a key chain or something.

Sixgun_Symphony
08-04-2004, 02:46
I have not thought about them in a long time. I don't know when or where they got lost.

sensei
08-04-2004, 10:39
Just went in and dug mine out.. Still taped together. Still on original chain. Have my serial # on them. (A************) Still have two p-38's.
Got out in Nov. 1968.

Man, there are some memories there.

sensei

9fingers
08-04-2004, 16:10
I still have my tags on the original chains, one has a tan color sleeve over it that has eyeglass prescription on it. I haven't worn them in 27 years, they are the one part of my original issue I COULD still fit on me, however. My P38 has been on my keyring ever since basic.

hillkillr
08-05-2004, 05:46
Don't wear my tags, but curse and thank the Army every day. Curse for my lifelong backpain, thanks for the free education and dissabeerity check. Looking at my dog tags just makes me remember the last time I jumped out a C130 for the Army...Aaaargh!

Old NFO
08-10-2004, 15:12
I still have both of them also! One Dog tag is still laced into my flight boot, the other along with a P-38 is on the orginal chain. Got em in '71 so they have my Navy service # not SSN. Got a set with SSN and blood type a couple of years ago when flying as a "consultant" to the Navy. And yeah- they do bring back a lot of memories...

Jim