World War II Memorial [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : World War II Memorial

04-29-2004, 13:25
Looks like we finally have a memorial for the Veterans of WWII.:) It opens today.

http://www.wwiimemorial.com/

spetsnaz777
04-29-2004, 18:53
When will German vets get their memorial?

CarlosDJackal
05-01-2004, 21:53
Originally posted by HeyMoe
Looks like we finally have a memorial for the Veterans of WWII.:) It opens today.

http://www.wwiimemorial.com/

It's about freaking time!! Unfortunately, a lot of our WWII Veterans never got the chance to see it. And even more are too sick to even consider making the trip to DC (my Dad included).

Chopperdog
05-02-2004, 07:15
I wish my grandfather was still alive to see it. I would've taken him to DC to visit the memorial. He was on a heavy cruiser in the Navy during WWII, and would have liked to see the memorial, but he died a couple years abo.

CarlosDJackal
05-02-2004, 12:11
Originally posted by spetsnaz777

Why don't you go home and ask the German people to have one built? Why the he** would we want to put up such a memorial in these United States for the very soldiers who facilitated Hitler's actions which literally cost millions of lives?

You sir, may kiss this Veteran's brown a**!! ;l

I apologize for this response. I tried to ignore his post but just couldn't. ;Q

spetsnaz777
05-04-2004, 18:17
Originally posted by CarlosDJackal
Why don't you go home and ask the German people to have one built? Why the he** would we want to put up such a memorial in these United States for the very soldiers who facilitated Hitler's actions which literally cost millions of lives?

You sir, may kiss this Veteran's brown a**!! ;l

I apologize for this response. I tried to ignore his post but just couldn't. ;Q

Calm down there chief... I NEVER said put one up in the USA. Believe it or not, the vast majority of German soldiers in WWII were honorable men. The reputation of German arms has forever been blackened by the actions of the Nazi regime and their criminal lackeys.

The NSDAP was the architect of the Holocaust but all in all the average German Landser had nothing more to answer for than his American or British counterpart.

The Soviets were worse than Nazi Germany and should have been taken out by Patton in 1945.

obxprnstar
05-07-2004, 21:33
"... Sir, I was just following orders."

Hank Weber
05-07-2004, 22:56
I get the chance to transport a fair number of WWII servicemen to the ER while on shift as a FF/PM. I try to remember to thank them for 'saving the world' by their sacrifice. I can't recall to many whoose eyes didn't well up with tears at the thanks. They were a great bunch of Americans. They estimate that around a thousand a day are dying rigt now. If you meet one, thank him.

spetsnaz777
05-07-2004, 23:11
Originally posted by obxprnstar
"... Sir, I was just following orders."

Sounds alot like some of the MPs in Iraq right now accused of maltreating prisoners;Q

Chopperdog
05-08-2004, 09:03
Sounds alot like some of the MPs in Iraq right now accused of maltreating prisoners;Q

No it doesn't. There are but a handfull of soldiers that are accused of this misconduct. There is no proof that it is widespread. They will pay for what they have done if they are found guilty.

obxprnstar
05-08-2004, 09:14

Reading the news this AM they had said that right now seven soldiers were being indicated in this whole prison mess. In my opinion that is seven too many. Even if in the end it ends up being seventy, that number pales in comparision to the number of nazi's.

The excuese "I was just following orders" doesn't do much when it's just seven people, but when you have hundreds of thousands of troops? Give me a break.

Patricia
05-08-2004, 10:44
I made this very clear when this forum was started but I will repeat it again for those of you that may not have read my statement.

This forum was created for Veteran's, to honor those who have served. It is a place for them to get together, reminisce, and discuss their experiences. It will not be a place for political discussion. We have a forum dedicated just for that and you are welcome to discuss politics there. If anyone continues to ignore this, you may not find yourself as a welcome guest on this site any longer.

My apologies to the rest of the Veterans that have made this forum a great place to visit. Please feel free to contact me personally if this occurs.

RussP
05-08-2004, 10:58
Sidearmor in her role as Moderator has already posted. She is also a member of this forum. These are my personal thoughts.

spetsnaz777, obxprnstar, you have hijacked a thread dedicated to the opening of the long overdue memorial to American Soldiers, Sailors, Marines, Airmen, WACS, and Members of the Merchant Marines who served during WWII.

I know CarlosDJackal, whose father survived the Battan Death March, spoke for me, and perhaps others, when he responded to your post spetsnaz777.

Having pride in your heritage, your ancestors is admirable, but perhaps this is not the venue in which to espress it.

If I am out of line, I invite other veterans to weigh in with their opinions.

spetsnaz777, obxprnstar, if you'd like to debate your beliefs in GNG or Politics, or OAF, perhaps some of us would engage you there. If you want to participate here, please be respectful.

RussP

Discalimer: The opinions expressed or implied in this post are mine and mine alone and are not meant to represent other members of this Veterans Forum.

MR. Fantastic
05-08-2004, 17:25

I believe Satan built 2 memorials for the Germans down in hell. One for each war.;Y

geminicricket
05-08-2004, 17:59
No veteran here, but I'm proud of my dad's service in the 124th SRI 1942-1945. All his war pictures look like tourist pictures, and not like BDSM.

MR. Fantastic
05-08-2004, 18:01

Being a veteran of Operation Iraqi Freedom I find this appaling. Anything less than death is a huge maltreatment of those prisoners. ;6

Now, on a serious note the "sir I was just following orders" excuse is total bull#$%&. Today's young soldiers are smarter than they've ever been and think for themselves too much to simply follow unlawful orders obliviously. Those soldiers had to be acting partly under their own free will, most likely in retaliation to a fallen comrade.

To be quite honest, I think the media is making this whole situation to be worse than it actually is.

spetsnaz777
05-08-2004, 22:26
So this forum is only for US veterans? My bad- I did not see that posted anywhere.

pjmonty
05-17-2004, 14:43
Sometimes I wish I could, but my wife would probably kill me before I could get to the recruiter's office. I served in the first Gulf War and wish that we had finished the job when we were there the first time. I have a younger brother that is in the ND NG and is getting ready to be activated. I we finished the job then, he would not have to leave his wife, son and soon to be daughter.

I'm with most of you that misses the camaraderie of being in a combat unit.
^1

CarlosDJackal
05-19-2004, 15:10
So this forum is only for US veterans? My bad- I did not see that posted anywhere.

I didn't think it was, but common sense should have told you that the thread had absolutely nothing to do with German Soldiers who goose-stepped their way across Europe and Africa over the bodies of those they had planned on conquering until you put up your ignorant post.

The thread was about THE WORLD WAR II MEMORIAL IN WASHINGTON, DC THAT WAS LONG OVERDUE. Anyone would be clearly out of line if I asked the same question you did, regardless of what country they were for.

FWIW, I did not respond to your initial thread until about the dozenth time I read it.

The World War II Memorial in Washington, DC is way overdue. Unfortunately, too many of the brave men and women it is meant to honor has long since passed away. In the Philippines, Veterans of World War II who fought on our soil (including US Servicemen) have been honored by various memorials from the get go. Even today, American Veterans who return are still hailed and treated as heroes in most localities.

;?

spetsnaz777
05-19-2004, 22:10
Originally posted by CarlosDJackal
I didn't think it was, but common sense should have told you that the thread had absolutely nothing to do with German Soldiers who goose-stepped their way across Europe and Africa over the bodies of those they had planned on conquering until you put up your ignorant post.

;? ;Q ;Q ;Q

deutscheglocker
05-31-2004, 14:36
My wife and I just were discussing the new Memorial and have decided to take my fatherinlaw to the Memorial this fall.
He was on the USS Dorsch(sp)and I think he would really like to go but can no longer drive for that long.

I can double the reason to go by also visiting the Vietnam memorial ( this was the Memorial for some of my friends ).

My personal thanks to all who are serving and for all those who have served.

Speznaz777, I'll ask my father (who fought for Germany in WWll ) if he knows of any memorials for German vets in Deutschland.

He picked up his family and moved to this country in 1952 without knowing a single word of English ( more gonads than I would ever have ) and made a pretty fair living as a carpenter.
i hope that my volunteering for Nam ( even though it was Air Force ) was at least some small thing for him to be proud of.

I agree with the posters on this thread. The way in which you or anyone who comments on a thread like this on this day should have the courtesy to not offend ( intended or not ) the memory of the men and woman who have given their lives for our country and the freedom of many other countries. Perhaps your posts are not specifically intended to do so, but I think you can figure it out that they have.
( Common sense 101 )

Even though you are evidently proud of your German heritage, there are different places to show it.

THIS is my country and has been since 1952. ( it should be yours too, if you choose to live here)

DG

RussP
05-31-2004, 16:11
^6
In 1952, that was a bold move on your father's part.

DaNang couldn't have been fun. Ubon was a little different, wasn't it?

I went to Ubon once in early '69 to do a story for 7th AF News. Had fun; enough said about that...

I was at NKP.

Thanks again for your post!^c

deutscheglocker
05-31-2004, 18:47
RussP,

Good pic of the memorial. Reread your post on where you served and it sounds like you had as good a time as possible under the circumstances.

I always wondered why my father picked up and moved to the country he fought against in the war. He mostly says he needed the work to take care of his family but I have to think there were other reasons he doesn't delve into and may never tell me.

DaNang was not bad duty for me as an Air Force guy.
We would only get rocket attacks about once a month until the last 4/6 weeks I spent there. Then we got hit fairly often until I shipped to Ubon. One time a B52 landed with a Sam stuck in the wing. That would have been a great pic.
I passed through NKP in about April of 72 but didn't get to check it out.
We weren't even trusted with M16's in Nam and only got to shoot them twice while I was at DaNang. They just wanted to make sure we could lock and load. When we drove off base to fire the weapons, we would pick up Army troops whose rifles looked really beat up and their lives depended on those guns. ( Only Col. Sanders :) and the first shirt had keys to our weapons )
I was just glad I wasn't a grunt and had to be in the bush.
Those are the guys this day is all about along with the other men and women who gave it all for the freedom of not only this country but many other countries around the world. They are the heros.

Back on topic about the WWll Memorial. My Father-in-law just left and we made preliminary plans to go to DC and check out the respective Memorials in or around Sept. We will have to make frequent stops for him and my Mother-in-law but he would really like to see it and I want to get him there to see it.
We decided to make it a three day trip.
Next will be getting directions to the memorials, maps, hotel accom.
etc. etc.
Oh, his boat in WWll was spelled Dortsch # 670. maybe I'll look it up and see if i can get him some info on what the history of the boat was after the war.

Take care all and thanks again to all the Vets.

DG

kawalerzysta
06-01-2004, 19:28
Originally posted by Chopperdog
No it doesn't. There are but a handfull of soldiers that are accused of this misconduct. There is no proof that it is widespread. They will pay for what they have done if they are found guilty.
Sad part that only youn enlisted will pey for it and nd not their higherups.

kawalerzysta
06-01-2004, 19:30
Finaly Greatest Generation gets what they earned 60 years ago.;?

kawalerzysta
06-01-2004, 19:31
Ask German Embassy.