Advice for hunting with my Glock 20 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Advice for hunting with my Glock 20

tylerdurden244
05-01-2004, 11:10
I want to hunt with my Glock 20 this year. I'm looking for advice on barrels, scopes and mounts. Also looking for advice on what game is practical to hunt with this handgun. the ammo is 10mm, 200 gr JHP, 1250fps, 690ft.lbs. i'm interested in deer, black bear and cougar. utah law has no requirements on barrel length anymore. as long as i'm .24 caliber or better with at least 500lbs at the muzzle and an expanding bullet, i'm good to go. but the law doesn't tell me what's a "good idea". what distances can i expect to shoot effectively with a scope?...50 meters...150 meters? should i drop in a longer barrel anyway? any info is apreciated. if you think of things i haven't mentioned feel free to speak up. also, if you know of any online or local resources (SLC, UTAH) for handgun hunting please let me know.

TJC
05-01-2004, 15:08
You should be able to take all the game you mentioned with the 20 provided that you hunt responsibly. Keep the ranges approx. 50 yds for the deer and cougar (I've never hunted cougar but given their size and makeup I would guess you will be ok at that range) and maybe 25 yds and under for the bear. They are built with more muscle and bone than the other two.

If your 20 is a 3rd Gen gun, the Carver mount is the best mount on the market for a Glock. I'd use a 2x scope. It is all you would need at those distances, and in fact, you could probably consider a red dot scope with no magnification. I use one on my Super Redhawk.

While not really needed, if you are setting this up for hunting you may want to drop a 6" barrel in. If I were going to do it I would go with a 6-6.5" BarSto barrel. You will notice the accuracy difference, especially at 50 yds.

tylerdurden244
05-01-2004, 16:15
that's exactly the kind of info i am looking for. thanks. can you please recommend a make and model scope?

AK_Stick
05-01-2004, 19:25
anything in the lower 48 is game for the 10mm, hell even buffalo in AK are game, I wouldn't want to try a brownie or moose though

TJC
05-01-2004, 20:26
Originally posted by tylerdurden244
that's exactly the kind of info i am looking for. thanks. can you please recommend a make and model scope?

Any of the name brand pistol scopes. Leupold, Burris, Simmons etc.

If you go red dot, there are just as many. Just pick one that's got a small MOA dot. If you go too large, you'll cover a great deal of your target at 50 yds.

A.F. Lineman
05-02-2004, 11:18
Think of it like bow hunting. Read up on bow hunting and use the tactics and ranges (0-50 yards or so) for that and you should be safe. Practice, practice, practice.

bambihunter
05-02-2004, 22:32
Also, you might want to check out Doubletap ammo for some real hot 10mm stuff that's still within original Norma specs. It'll do more for your 10mm than all the add-on accessories you could want.

I've taken 5 pigs with mine, all dropped in thier tracks, a buddy of mine took 7 pigs and all but one dropped in its tracks (ironically, the smallest one out of all of them was the one that ran just a little ways before dropping).

I've also taken a spike buck with mine at near point-blank range and of course it dropped where it stood too.

As someone else mentioned, think of it as a bow for larger game. The 10mm cartridge actually shoots very flat out to 100 yards plus, but the energy is falling off quickly after that. I won't even shoot deer over 100 yards with a .44 mag carbine (with 16.5" barrel).

Good luck and practice like the others mentioned and enjoy the 10mm!

MrMurphy
05-04-2004, 18:08
Friend of mine uses his 10mm G20 to take pigs fairly routinely, or did til his wife bought him a .454 Raging Bull. :) Stock setup, 3-dot sights and nothing fancy.