For those who hunt praire dogs [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : For those who hunt praire dogs

RMTactical
05-03-2004, 20:04
Check out these videos, the last of the 4 is the best...

http://www.dogbegone.com/video.htm

Drjones
05-03-2004, 21:56
Be careful...the last time someone posted that, it pissed off a lot of our resident lefists.

;Q

El Capitan
05-03-2004, 22:02
http://www.varmintvideos.com/

"Now you see 'em, now you don't!" ;0 ;N

RMTactical
05-03-2004, 22:50
Originally posted by Drjones
Be careful...the last time someone posted that, it pissed off a lot of our resident lefists.

;Q

Bring 'em on!!

bambihunter
05-04-2004, 22:31
Here's some aftermath still-shots from last summer... I bet you can't figure out which ones were shot with a .22lr and which ones weren't... ;)
Click here for some gross pics (some clean gun pics too) (http://bambihunter.myftp.org/images/PrairieDogHunt/)

RMTactical
05-05-2004, 02:16
I have shot prairie dogs, but only with .22's.

Gary42141
05-05-2004, 03:11
Is there a purpose behind killing prairie dogs, other than to simply kill them for the fun of it?

I hunt deer, and eat what I kill rather than kill for the fun of seeing something die, which seems to be the point behind shooting prairie dogs. It definitely seemed to be the point behind the videos.

If there is a point to it beyond that, let me know.

Wotan
05-05-2004, 03:36
Originally posted by Gary42141
Is there a purpose behind killing prairie dogs, other than to simply kill them for the fun of it?

I hunt deer, and eat what I kill rather than kill for the fun of seeing something die, which seems to be the point behind shooting prairie dogs. It definitely seemed to be the point behind the videos.

If there is a point to it beyond that, let me know.

^6

bambihunter
05-05-2004, 04:11
Yes, there's a major point to it... The prairie dogs (also referred to as "ditch diggers" for a good reason) reside on farmland which is also often used for raising livestock. The prairie dogs dig thier tunnels out in open pasture and rarely in the woods. These pastures are where cattle, horses, and other livestock live and graze. They dig the tunnel, then the livestock walks along and either steps into the holes or the tunnel collapses causing the livestock injuries, usually broken legs. Of course this either costs the farmers money to the vet or they have to put the animal down. They also can carry disease, but that's such a seldom occurance that one rarely hears of it.

In both Oklahoma and Kansas (the only places I've hunted them), farmers welcomed hunters that will shoot these vermin. I have even had farmers offer to buy my ammo to shoot them.

bambihunter
05-05-2004, 04:14
Also, I'd like to add that I consider myself a very ethical hunter, I wouldn't dream of shooting a "sport" animal that I wasn't intending on eating. However, I do shoot crows, mangy-looking coyotes (but normally leave healthy looking ones unless they are a problem), and prairie dogs. That may seem contradictory and may make me a hypocrite for calling myself an ethical hunter (if that's the way you perceive it, so be it), but I don't see it that way. I might think this way because I grew up on a farm and we had problems with varmits.
Yes, I do enjoy shooting what my buddy calls "interactive targets"...

Gary42141
05-05-2004, 04:23
Ahh..ok.

The videos still seem a bit perverse. It's almost as if they're getting off on killing, rather than doing it out of necessity.

HerrGlock
05-05-2004, 05:07
Consider what you do to spiders or scorpions in your house. Same thing, only on a field and, unfortunately, they're cuter.

DanH

Gary42141
05-05-2004, 06:35
Originally posted by HerrGlock
Consider what you do to spiders or scorpions in your house.

I've conceded the point to Bambihunter regarding the necessity of the act itself. If the holes dug by prairie dogs cause harm to cattle and to the livelihood of ranchers, etc, then I've no problem with it.

I think though, that when you videotape something like this and then slow it down so as to see an animal exploding into bits....there's a problem with the mentality of the individual as well as anyone who believes it to be cool, neat, fun, exciting, or entertaining.

Your results may vary.

PDogSniper
05-05-2004, 07:00
Gary,

Prairie Dogs do a tremdous amount of damage to pasture and crop lands. Ranchers have been battling them for centurys. If you look at the alternative shooting by sport shooters is the most humane way to control their numbers, and control is the correct word.

Ranchers have resorted to poisoning and vacuuming them from their dens. Vacuuming them litterally collects hundreds of thousands of them and they still run rampant, having up to three litters a year, with the first litter able to reproduce within that first year...;P

Poisoning wrecks havoc on the enviroment. Hawks and Eagles feed on the poisoned carcass's and thusly become poisoned themselves.

With shooting, the scavengers are able to come in and clean up with no harm to them. Snakes are then able to move in to the dens...

Does there seem to be a perversity to killing them...? Yea, maybe so. But I think it's more the satisfaction of a 250 to 400 yard shot with a .223 or a 22.250... To see the devesatation and power a round does is, for lack of a better word, a remarkable sight... My claim to fame is a 150 yd. shot with my AR15 and a Holo-Sight on it...

I'm not into persons killing for pleasure either....

The bunny huggers (I'm for protecting the spotted owl) fear the extermination of these cute little buggers. Rest assured, even if the hunters were allowed to go in with complete abandon they still couldn't wipe them out. Even so, the ranchers wouldn't allow it.

What one thing people don't think to much of is that farmers and ranchers do believe in the eco-system and everything here has it place.

I hope this puts it in to a more reasonable perspective..

PDog...

Drjones
05-05-2004, 10:48
In addition to what everybody else said about the tremendous damage that dogs do, I'd like to add that they render literally thousands of acres of land completely unuseable due to their burrowing.

They are a major problem.

And I find it interesting how people get indignant (as I said they would) over these videos. While I can fully understand their point and agree to some extent, I guarantee you there would be no outcry whatsoever were someone to post a video of people gleefully stomping on spiders.

;Q

The cuter a critter gets, the more people value its life. ;Q

noway
05-05-2004, 12:10
Also to add to the above, the praire dogs are know to cause damage to sewage and water lines. Numerous cities in far NW Texas have problems and implement bounties on the black tails heads. Some of the dog towns where reported to have population over the 100s and close to 1000 dogs per communities.

When no other methods are available to reduce counts, then like posted above people are paid to go out and reduce the dogs counts by shooting them. Baiting has shown in the past to be least effective & the poisons have destroyed numerous other animals and traps are pretty much useless.

Now the videos are kinda sick & glorifiys the killing and kinda feeds the anit-hunting campaign that PETA and their likes think about ALL hunters. But I personally wouldn't kill any dogs in the ways that they show. But hunting praire dogs is okay by me.

tjpet
05-05-2004, 12:51
Although PD's are a major pain-in-the-neck for ranchers/farmers hereabouts I shoot them for the sheer fun of it.

Nothing like looking through a 24x scope and getting your daily dose of IVG's (instant visual gratifications.)

Plenty to go around, no season or limit, and they explode so very nice when tagged just right. Around these parts we speak of the "christmas tree" effect when a dog is hit hard: red guts on a sagebrush green backround.

El Capitan
05-05-2004, 20:32
Originally posted by tjpet
Although PD's are a major pain-in-the-neck for ranchers/farmers hereabouts I shoot them for the sheer fun of it.

Nothing like looking through a 24x scope and getting your daily dose of IGV's (instant visual gratifications.)

Plenty to go around, no season or limit, and they explode so very nice when tagged just right. Around these parts we speak of the "christmas tree" effect when a dog is hit hard: red guts on a sagebrush green backround.

Sweet. Finally an honest response.
Ya, it would suck if people were torturing them or killing them in a way they died slowly, but damn, they simply explode. Can't believe they feel or are aware of anything, so who cares if some get excited lighting them up!

Too bad we don't have any out here in the PRK, that's one shoot I'd love to join in on.

firminw
05-05-2004, 22:19
I regurlarly wear a T- shirt showing a prarie dogs head wreathed in the objective and crosshairs of a scope. It has a caption which reads Long Distance is the next best thing to being there. I dont care who I piss off, I've sent several thousand of the little hairy buggers to the great beyond and proud of it. I am foremost an ethical hunter but I enjoy shooting these little leg breakers, it's probably one of the "funnest" things you can do with your clothes on. Let some animal nazi be riding a horse who steps in one of their little bunkers and they'll change their tune. We used to have ranchers pay us per dawg, it wasn't much but it bought beer for later that evening. I thanked each and evryone I offed for buyin' the beer. So I guess i was truly ehtical in offin' the little buggers 'cause I was drinking on them. Dont worry 'bout the animal rightist, I'm for animals having rights when they can vote and pay taxes,

geminicricket
05-05-2004, 22:32
A few years ago, National Geographic did a photo spread of prairie dog hunting. The full color stop-action photos were maximum carnage, and the accompanying text was just about neutral on the subject.
It was just a straight up, "Bubba like to shoot prairie dogs, and ranchers let him. Here's how:"

Elk-ruser
05-06-2004, 10:29
Living near the "Peoples Republic of Boulder" we have alot of wackos that just love the little darlings. I saw a field once that was exterminated, well after the extermination, somebody went in and placed a 10inch tall, white cross at each hole. There were literally a hundred crosses out in the field....Wacko's!

The ranch I used to shoot at -a housing development nearby made it unsafe, IMO, so I quit going there- had caught the "vacuum" truck letting the P-dogs loose on her property one morning real early. She grabbed her .22 and a bunch of ammo and popped them as they ran out of the tube.

Man, I gotta dust of the Savage 112 in .223 with 55gr Nosler Ballistic tips and pop some p-dogs!
Erik

RMTactical
05-06-2004, 23:18
Originally posted by HerrGlock
Consider what you do to spiders or scorpions in your house. Same thing, only on a field and, unfortunately, they're cuter.

DanH

good point.

bambihunter
05-06-2004, 23:45
Yeah, some people enjoy hunting to give thier carnal instincts a thrill. I enjoy hunting, even prairie dogs, but certainly not to the point that they do.

I'm glad Gary42141, at least you can understand the need, even if ya don't understand the mentality - I can certianly appreciate that. :)

Incidentally, a "fast-fact" on the History Channel a while back mentioned that the largest single prairie dog town was over two hundred miles long, fifty miles wide and I can't recall how many 'dogs lived in it. I wanted to say they said upwards of 750,000.

striderglock
05-08-2004, 08:31
It's stuff like that the animal rights whackos feed off of. Those guys are fcing idiots for putting that on the web.

CanyonMan
05-08-2004, 09:27
bambihunter Said..(Quote)

"Yes, there's a major point to it... The prairie dogs (also referred to as "ditch diggers" for a good reason) reside on farmland which is also often used for raising livestock. The prairie dogs dig thier tunnels out in open pasture and rarely in the woods. These pastures are where cattle, horses, and other livestock live and graze. They dig the tunnel, then the livestock walks along and either steps into the holes or the tunnel collapses causing the livestock injuries, usually broken legs. Of course this either costs the farmers money to the vet or they have to put the animal down. They also can carry disease, but that's such a seldom occurance that one rarely hears of it.

In both Oklahoma and Kansas (the only places I've hunted them), farmers welcomed hunters that will shoot these vermin. I have even had farmers offer to buy my ammo to shoot them." (END QUOTE).

HE'S RIGHT!

I Was raised in Oklahoma, and cowboyed on a large ranch there. We had plenty of 'prairie dog town's". There "was a need to destroy them," and "BAMBIHUNTER" said it "clearly enough in his post above." It is very costly to have to put down a horse, or cattle, because of a broken leg. I 'did not' watch the video posted here, don't need to or want to, seen that kinda stuff enough in real life. I can only tell ya that when something like this "NEEDS TO BE DONE," ya simply go and do it, and get on with the 'rest of your work.' The rest of your day.

These dogs also carry various plauges, that can be transferred to even humans. So given all the above, yes, it is something on a ranch, that runs horses and cattle, that "needs taking care of, if the livestock are in that pasture or range."

Now, i will say this, where i come from, and where i'm at now. We do not like the guys who come out and "kill to get there rocks off on killing", guts, blood, "hey man did you see that suker blow up? wow"!!!

These guys have no business with a gun, a truck, or a family!
I don't care how you "shake this thing up," "getting off on killing anything", just to get high on the guts and blow ups, is as perverted as you can get.

Most of you know me on here, as i do some of you as well. I have cowboyed most of my life, and guided hunts. I love to hunt, love the outdoors, and respect what God placed here for us. There are things, like the PD's, That 'if in the particular circumstance,' are a hazard to the livestock etc. then they must be killed.

But, personally, and the boys i know on the ranches around home, and west Texas here, don't like to see the perverted hunters coming. In fact i have turned down the opportunity to guide even "game hunts", when i found out the guy did not "even" want to eat the animal, just "wanted to kill it". Got "one" realitive that way, one or two in our family gets mad at me for not taking the guy hunting.... So what!

Well, pardon the novel here, I just wanted to throw in this 2 cents.
Take care of business when needed, but For God's sake, why "enjoy" killing anything.

I ain't asking you boys to agree or disagree, just does something to me to see folks "getting there kicks out of killing", animals, or humans! I here them all the time... Man i'll take that guy out if he touches me again.. wow, what bullet can i get that will really blow a guy away? Man did you see those guts fly?

This, gentleman, is sick.

Wouldn't want a guy like this on our horses or even on the ranch.

It is fine to ask what ammo is best for SD, or what should i use that will work to really keep me safe etc. etc. But, when you really get into the stuff like we are reading here, and the "joy of killing,"
Some one's a half bubble off plumb.

I resently was after a turkey on the ranch i called 'godzilla.' Big sucker, i had some time to hunt, and i took it. He out did me for several days... I saw myself wanting to get him, almost for spite! Had to 'back off' and let it go, and say, well, i had i good time just being out there, even if i did not get the bird.. it is the hunt, not the kill.

I leave those out there who "love to kill," with this:

There was once a mountain lion, he saw a bull, and killed it, and ate the 'whole bull' in one meal. Then the lion began to ROAR, and ROAR, and ROAR. Well, there was a hunter in the woods, and he heard the ROARING, (better known as bragging), and he followed the sound. The lion stood over the remains of the bull, that he had just eaten, and continued to ROAR. The hunter finally spoted him, and shot him. Killed him dead as a hammer. The mighty lion 'FELL'.

Oh, i don't want to leave out the moral of this story:

"When your full of Bull, it is best to keep your mouth shut!"

That is how it is with those who "love killing."

CanyonMan

tjpet
05-09-2004, 00:50
Never met a PD hunter that was altruistic about killing the critters to rid the world of PD ills.

The things they all had in common were liking lots of free targets, a variety of ranges, no season or limit, and the blow up factor.

If it doesn't tighten your shorts, why do it?

f1b32oPTic
05-13-2004, 23:44
canyonman for mod!

GeorgiaGlockMan
05-14-2004, 22:26
I was in TX last week and was visiting a friend looking to buy some land for a new manufacturing plant.

The site was over run with prairie dogs.

There were literally hundreds maybe thousands on the 40-50 acre site.

About every 5-10 feet there were little volcano shaped mounts with 2-3 of the little vermin going in and out.

If I had my AR or 10/22 with me, I would have done the current owner a huge favor by thinning them out a bit.

They were screwing up the land so bad with holes that it was difficult to keep it mowed properly. My friend also had a real concern that they would be a detriment to his food processing business.

dougader
05-18-2004, 19:45
I have to mow about 4 acres on the property where I live. I hate, hate, hate the little gophers here that burrow and make riding the John Deere mower several hours of pain every week. It's like being punched in the back every time I go over one of those bumps.

If they would pop up like prairie dogs, I'd be out there shooting them and I'd be happy about it. I hate those little vermin bastages. As it is I smoke them to death with sulphur and a propane torch. I figure I've killed near 200 gophers in the last 3 years... and those dreadd bumps are still there... ugh.

RMTactical
05-18-2004, 22:47
Yeah, I see no problem with thinning populations of these little buggers. I admit they are cute but they are no different than ants or rats. They live in your home (or in this case, your property or surounding areas), they are a nusiance and they won't leave unless you kill them.

I think it is funny when people get all worked up over stuff like this. I am not for glutonous killing of animals but come on!! ;Q

CanyonMan
05-19-2004, 14:55
Gorelicks,
said (quote)..
"I think it is funny when people get all worked up over stuff like this. I am not for glutonous killing of animals but come on!! (end quote)."

I am glad to hear you say this Hoss. I don't see that anyone on here is "worked up" or upset... I know i'm not.

But like 'you' said: "I am not for glutonous killing of animals..."

That's all some of us are saying on here.. if you read the post's carefully, you'll see that most agree, that when it becomes a "problem" deal with it. But those who kill, "anything", and enjoy it, for the blood, guts, gore, and perverse excitment... Well, this isn't hard to figure out!

You have a great one! :)

CanyonMan

Drjones
05-19-2004, 15:04
Originally posted by CanyonMan
That's all some of us are saying on here.. if you read the post's carefully, you'll see that most agree, that when it becomes a "problem" deal with it. But those who kill, "anything", and enjoy it, for the blood, guts, gore, and perverse excitment... Well, this isn't hard to figure out!

1) Do you expect us to have a funeral for each of the little pests?

2) Do you feel this way when someone kills an insect? Why or why not?

3) Does the life of an insect have any more or less value than that of a fur-covered pest? Why or why not?

CanyonMan
05-19-2004, 18:18
Drjones,

I started not to even answer such a 'dumb post as yours....' but Hoss, I am not going to argue... read for yourself try to let some understanging through!. Please get a life. :)

Have a great day!

I am done with this BTW.

Adios!

CanyonMan

Drjones
05-19-2004, 19:49
Originally posted by CanyonMan
Drjones,

I started not to even answer such a 'dumb post as yours....' but Hoss, I am not going to argue... read for yourself try to let some understanging through!. Please get a life. :)

I understand the point you and others make about "killing for the fun of it" but I find that no one will admit that their outrage and indignance only covers cute, furry mammals.

I am done with this BTW.

Thank god!

MARTIN FISHER
05-30-2004, 17:49
Rabies, plague and fleas along with crop, land and livestock damage are enough reason to shoot PD's. The government has poisoned millions of PD's over the years and they are still around.

Those who shoot them now, for whatever reason, are just doing varmint control. Granted, the videos I have seen are over the top and open shooters, hunters and gun owners to critisism by those who do not understand killing in any form.

I was listening to a news report on wolves in Yellowstone, animal rights types were travelling hundreds of miles to watch the wonderfull wolves in nature. While the reporter was recording, a coyote was spotted. The nature lovers were happy, then a wolf came into view, they were even happier.

Then the wolf ran down and killed the coyote. There was not much comment on how gracefull and powerfull the wolf was as he slaughtered the smaller coyote. It was a telling moment for the wolf lovers.