Favorite hikers? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Favorite hikers?

Mud
05-04-2004, 08:57
Need a new pair of boots and just wondered what you guys liked and why
i always feel like the sales guys at stores SUCK soo i gotta look elsewhere for help

thanx

JDP
05-05-2004, 15:48
Most major name brands like Solomon, Merell, Montrail etc. are all high quality. Just think about what kind if hiking you plan on doing and look to see which models suit your needs and try all of them on and wear them in the store for a few minutes and pick the best one. If you shop at a backpacking/climbing specialty shop you should be able to get decent advice. I usually find Solomons to be the most comfortable. I hope this helps!

valkyrie182
05-05-2004, 18:58
La Sportiva makes great boots/climbing shoes. A bit on the pricey side, but they make everything from basic hiking boots to composite mountaineering boots.

Dogbite
05-06-2004, 20:42
I have a pair of columbia hiking boots--i work in them--they feel pretty good--on my feet about 10 hours a day.Cost about 80 something bucks--not as nice as the brands other people above talked about,but pretty good for the money.

PlasticGuy
05-06-2004, 21:06
What kind of hiking/hunting you do will determine what particular model is best for you. Backpacker Magazine has great boot reviews that will tell you which makes hold up the best, and their reviews generally parallel my personal experience.

I have been very impressed with my Garmont (now called "Montrail") boots for all season hiking. I had a great pair of light-weight Merell's -- they were a perfect compromise between a trail runner and a hiker, and I will be getting another pair for this summer. My Vasque insulated Gore-Tex hikers have survived three intense hunting seasons and are still going strong. If they ever wear out I will get another. I've probably put more miles on my Danner work boots than any of the others, and when they wear out I will replace them with a similar pair.

The biggest things to consider, as long as you pick a good brand to begin with, is the weather and terrain you expect to hike in. If the terrain will be rough, you will want a lot of padding in the soles and some ankle support. If you expect rain, Gore-Tex is great. If you expect hot and dry weather, Gore-Tex will make your feet hotter and more sweaty and will actually be a bad thing. Insulation is great when it's cold all day, but will lead to hot and sweaty feet (and blisters) when it's hot.

Always wear a pair of liner socks under your hikers. It will keep your feet more dry and blister free. And make sure that your outer hiking socks are smooth and soft (to prevent blisters), but not so thick that the fit in your boots is affected or your feet get too hot.

And remember to break your boots in properly by wearing them for several days before you hike in them. If they're too stiff or uncomfortable to wear around town for a day or two, hiking in them will be a bad idea.

And finally, try on any pair of boots that you are interested in. Mail ordering is a way to get great prices, but the best boot sale in the world is only a good deal if the boots fit you perfectly. It's better to spend the extra $20 if it lets you try them on and walk around in them for a few minutes before you buy them.

Good luck, and if you have any questions be sure to ask.

Nomaspescado
05-07-2004, 01:50
Mud,
It's all about the fit...almost nothing else matters.
There are many good boot manufactures out there and they all use or have their own "lasts". This refers to the mold that most of their products are designed to fit. i.e. I cannot where Nikes if you were to pay me! For me, it's Asics for running and Kayland for boots.
Good luck!

Mud
05-07-2004, 06:53
May wanna clarify a lil bit you guys had some great suggestions

i just prefear to wear a boot so these will be for daily wear and on the trails on the weekends

i work in retail and i am on my feet alot and hikers are just more comfy.

thanx

JIM

05-16-2004, 13:18
I can tell you that I have a pair or LL BEAN Cresta hikers that have been really good. About 150 but I just sent them back for another pair for free due to a minor fit issue. Their service is great.

Ravenn
05-20-2004, 08:29
Unless your going to do lot of rough area hiking/bushwhacking, and carrying a heavy load, you shouldn't need a havy boot. Look into Hi Tech, New Balance, or any of the leather/nylon combo boots.The prob . in wearing daily vs. just hiking in them is in sox. Hiking sox should be heavier, wick moisture away from your foot. Good arch supporst is a must too. Adding inserts works there.
Just my Tupence

Ravenn