Snubby .357 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Snubby .357

valkyrie182
05-06-2004, 12:40
How would a 2" .357 be for something lightweight for hiking?
I know the velocity would be less out of a short barrel, and I am only concerned with being able to hit the target where it counts, not winning a competition in accuracy at long distances.

CanyonMan
05-06-2004, 13:10
valkyrie182,

I do not know just "what kind of target/s," you are talking about, or what kind of country you are hiking in, or where your at.

That being said... If it is 'two legged critters' you are concerned about.. the 357 mag is plenty. In fact i am totally confident with it on the ranch, (i carry a ruger sp101 3"), "at times", with full power 125gr. Federal JHP's. "Usually i carry a 44 mag" with my cast reloads.

We have pulled down on mountain lion out here with a 4'' S&W 357 mag.
That would be the "lightest choice for me," but it all depends on your ability to shoot, and what your shooting at.

For just general hiking, in not real threatning situations, i see nothing wrong with the .357mag. Might want to get at least a 3" barrel if possible. But for just SD, only, from a human attack, 2" will be fine. All depends on exactly what your 'concerned about running into." !

HTH!

CanyonMan

Dogbite
05-06-2004, 20:26
I think it would be great for hiking.It would be the perfect defense from 2 legged/4 legged--except for big bears..Nice and compact--and powerful--reliable as well.I would get one.

surfinusa
05-08-2004, 14:18
For about 95% of the country I would think a 2 1/2 inch 686 7 shot would be ideal.

akbound
06-01-2004, 06:43
Hi valkyrie182,

When I'm traveling light, not in big bear country, but feel a need for more than a rimfire, I will frequently carry a S&W 649 2 1/8" barreled .357 Magnum. Mine will shoot to point of aim to 25 yards and provides more than the necessary power for anything I'm likely to encounter. It is portable enough to never be a burden on a hike!

If I'm looking for something with more usable accuracy, then a 6" Ruger GP100 chambered for .357 Magnum might be along instead. At times I'll have something else along just because! What's the point of owning different firearms if you don't sometimes "find a need" for them? ;)

When in big bear country......something starting with at least .44 will be along!

Dave

P.S. Only you can answer the question regarding "hitting the target where it counts".