Alligator Hunting? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Alligator Hunting?

Esox357
05-09-2004, 08:45
Has anyone gone alligator hunting with a bow? I am interested in trying it. What would it cost to harvest an alligator? I imagine there are outfitters in Florida that do this type of hunting? Any information related would be helpful. Thanks Esox357

Shaner
05-09-2004, 09:01
You trying to get ate, man?

noway
05-09-2004, 09:58
I'm in Fl and whent as a "observer" on 2 alligator hunts. And I would say that a bow would not be a wise choice from a boat due to the angles present and the movements of the gator while being hooked. BUT if you where taking one from the shoreline of a waterway or lake it would work. I knew of a few guides services that reccommends a compund bows for such hunts with the biggest cutting broadhead and heaviest arrow that you can accurately shoot.

The last hunt I whent on was done from a boat and let me tell you just whats kinda involved. The outfitter in Imokalee, FL that I whent on, used a big hook baited and if I was a guessing man, it was a 15/0 hook or bigger. ( don't know if a 15 Ought hook exist but you get the idea ). The gator was then drag or better worded " battle back to the boat" and shot with a 44mag bang stick on the top of the head.

Now yes I would guess a arrow could do the same thing as the bang stick, but picture a boat with 3 guys standing , kneeling and bending over the side, 2 of then holding and pulling on the rope and the 3rd holding the bangstick, with a splashing, darting object attach to hook that you have very little visibility of. Now also picture the water as about as dark as oil and then scratch the bangstick and put you in his place with an arrow shooting almost at a straight downward angle.That would be quite hard or a interesting feat.

Now if you where shooting from the land buggy or by foot on a gator resting on the water edges, then you would have a better access in hitting and killing a gator. Most big gators don't stay stationary verl long, when people approach them and are very quick into sliding away US humans.

Good luck and tell us if you manage to get one. Bring alot of energy and the gator hunt is a real thriller to be around even as a observer. Also they are quit expensive thru a guided operation and the public lottery selection is very hard to get . The hunt I whent on cost, my best friend neighbor dad almost 2K and like $900 to get it tranposrted and mounted. The meat isn't all that great in my opinion, but definetely a big rush for anybody involved ;)

{You trying to get ate, man?}

Contrary to hollywood movies , the american gator is probably more afraid of us then them and will leave you alone unless you where challenging them or invading his/her home during gator mating/breeding seasons. Most wild gators fear us and the one to be most afraid of are the local nieghborhood , in your backyard canals/ponds that have over came their fears due to humans feeding them. The 100% wild gator is just that "Wild!".

Shaner
05-09-2004, 12:06
{Contrary to hollywood movies , the american gator is probably more afraid of us then them and will leave you alone unless you where challenging them or invading his/her home during gator mating/breeding seasons. Most wild gators fear us and the one to be most afraid of are the local nieghborhood , in your backyard canals/ponds that have over came their fears due to humans feeding them. The 100% wild gator is just that "Wild!".}

Sorry, But I'm not an american and we don't have gators up here in Canada (Well, except for the john deere gators), I just thought if you shot at an gator with an bow, and it didnt go into a vital organ or two, wouldnt it piss it off and make it come at you? I don't know much about gators but that was just my theory..

I'm not flameing you..

Shane

Esox357
05-09-2004, 13:49
Thanks for the replies, very good story. Esox357

f1b32oPTic
05-09-2004, 20:35
Originally posted by Shaner
{Contrary to hollywood movies , the american gator is probably more afraid of us then them and will leave you alone unless you where challenging them or invading his/her home during gator mating/breeding seasons.

i lived in south fla for 2 years and fished alot of canals and the everglades with a canoe, and i will be the first to tell you from experience that alligators are not afraid of humans.

they will eat you if given a fair chance and not just mating season

DonD
05-10-2004, 09:07
What little I've seen on the internet, Noway is being a little conservative. Gator hunting has become a cash "crop" for property owners. You are often offered a "guarantee" of a minimum sized animal but if you're into a real trophy beast, the prices rise astronomically. A record sized animal might cost you upwards of $4,000. I was interested until I saw that and on state lands, I believe firearms (what I wanted to use) were not allowed. Good luck.

noway
05-10-2004, 10:15
Agreed,

Also they have some type of restriction as to what you can and can't take while on the FL public water system. Hunting them thru guides on private land and non public water ways are no limits on weapons used (IIRC). The 2K dollars for hunting a gator is pretty much the flat avg but I have heard of places that charges right around 10K and upwards. Once again, being a observer on gator hunt is very thrilling, heart pounding, experience. :cool

Since the american gators population has been safely restored the prices are way to high IMHO and is a holdover from the early days when the hunts where 1st allowed. If they where under 1K ( not likely to happen ) I wouldn't mind tackling a gator my self.

{i lived in south fla for 2 years and fished alot of canals and the everglades with a canoe, and i will be the first to tell you from experience that alligators are not afraid of humans.

they will eat you if given a fair chance and not just mating season}

I've been living in South FLA off and on since the 70s and I not the least bit worried when out in the "wild" and dealing with gators. I 've stood in the south and south eastern ends of Lake Okeechoobee at 0400AM, in the middle of dark when gators are more active & in 2-3ft of water , waiting for legal sunrise to shoot ducks and never had a concern over gators. Mosquitos & snakes ...Yes , but gators....equals no.

The majority of gators attacks are those around in the urban neighborhoods canals/pools/ponds that have gators that have lost their fear of humans, most likely due to feeding and harassments. 9 out 9 times the gator will leave you alone if you leave him alone and don't try to attack or catch him. They know that their encounter with us 2 legged animals, normally leads to their deaths. A agrees gator might try to attack you but other factors would have to be present before that to happen. They perfer easy targets and meals ( fish/wading ducks/herons on the water way/dead animals & fish/ and hand outs,etc..... ) I guess everybody has their opinions and beliefs.

{I just thought if you shot at an gator with an bow, and it didnt go into a vital organ or two, wouldnt it piss it off and make it come at you?}

Highly unlikely. Think about it for a second, if you where shooting from a boat or shore and you struck him, the gator would most likely swim/dive away to escape further danger or DEATH. Hunting these creatures with a tether line (sp?) is the only way to go. Unlike a deer, you can't really track a gator if he
is mortally wound and dives away. Also froget about looking for a blood trail.
;f

Water is his neighborhood and also provides him protection and stealthness.

f1b32oPTic
05-10-2004, 10:27
Originally posted by noway
I've been living in South FLA off and on since the 70s and I not the least bit worried when out in the "wild" and dealing with gators.

i was never really worried, but lets just say i didnt go swimming

alot of the water that we fished down there was really shallow and anytime a bass or bowfin hooked up, it would almost always break the surface.

if it was a 15lb. plus bowfin that meant fighting the fish a couple of minutes.
when this was happening, you could see gator eyes and snouts moving in on your position

when we would startle one as we paddled down creeks, it would sound like someone airdropped a volkswagon into the water next to you.
the gators i saw in the everglades were fairly comfortable around the canoe and would often not move out of the way if we had to paddle through.

im not really scared of them, its just i respect them.
there is no doubt that they are extremely powerful and primitive animals that can seriousely put a hurtin on you

noway
05-10-2004, 11:15
Esox, I just two-way my neighbor and the guide he used on that last hunt was H&H guides. Here's their link.

http://www.hhgatorhunts.com/

Some cool stuff and I just download their order form, they do offer a cheap $500 hunt.....Just maybe I might look into it but I 'm assuing that other fees apply.

{im not really scared of them, its just i respect them.
there is no doubt that they are extremely powerful and primitive animals that can seriousely put a hurtin on you}

Agreed and true of most species in the wild. Like someone once said, "the humans are the only predators of the gators". Other then that, they have no enemies.

:cool:

Esox357
05-11-2004, 04:01
Thanks again all for the information. I have heard of them attaching buoys to a line when shot to track the alligator. I would love to do this type of hunt. Thanks Again Esox357