Opinions on Shotguns [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Shotguns

mkink
05-10-2004, 18:51
I am looking to purchase a shotgun for bird hunting and the occassional skeet shooting. I have narrowed it down to a Browning Gold classic hunter and a benelli m1 field. Any suggestions or opinions will greatly help. Thanks

mmsig229
05-10-2004, 19:32
I recently bought a Browning Citori Sporting Clays model 325. It's about 5 years old, and I bought it for about 1/3 of what a new 525 costs. I just took a SC clinic and naturally the Citori was flawless.

MrMurphy
05-10-2004, 20:31
The Benelli is quite nice, as is the Browning. Since this is a noncombat shotgun, whichever feels better in the hands to you would be the one.

f1b32oPTic
05-10-2004, 20:47
if i were to have just one shotgun for birds and targets, it would be a beretta urika 391

justin03
05-10-2004, 22:02
get the benelli. they're great guns and more reliable than anybody who doesn't have one will ever admit;) also, i am pretty sure the prices on brownings just went up quite a bit. you can get a benelli super black eagle for just a $100-200 bucks more than a browning gold.

justin;c

AK_Stick
05-10-2004, 22:07
neither, the berretta is much better. The only problem with the Benelli is it kicks so damn hard

RMTactical
05-10-2004, 22:47
I like the Benelli.

jptsr1
05-10-2004, 22:52
You are way out of my shotgun price range but if I had the dough id go with the Benelli. Handled one at the local GS and it just had that solid well made feel to it. When I grow up ill get one for myself. For now, all birds will fear the 870!!!

J.

mkink
05-10-2004, 23:37
I appreciate your feedback. Does customer service or warranty differ between the two companies?

USMCsilver
05-11-2004, 07:47
If you have the money to spend on a bird gun, then those guns are quite nice. I, OTOH, am not too crazy about taking a decent gun bird hunting. I have shot all kinds of avian creatures with old faithful -- a 870 Express Magnum. The thing has been through hell and back and could tell many 'a stories. From boat paddle to walking stick, it has been through it all. The best stories it can tell is all of the times it has outshot $2,000 shotguns at the skeet/trap/sporting clays range. The look on some people's faces is priceless. Out of my six shotguns, I'll pick my 870, hands down, to complete any task.

TenMil
05-11-2004, 15:12
I actually have a used Citori and a Superposed that I inherited- along with a couple Belgian A5's and countless other shotguns.

I'm a diehard shotgunner (Practice with them more than any other gun I own), so this may sound weird, but I prefer shooting a pumpgun over anything else, especially when shooting birds or clays.

It's like driving a stick over an autoamtic.
Half the fun is in the shifting... Same with clays with a pump gun.
Last trap I shot (I'm not quite a scratch shooter, but close), I used an 870 to shoot 23/25/23 in 3 matches.
It was better than 99% of everyone there who were shooting guns that had triggers that cost twice what my gun did.
Of course, if it's one of those "who has the bigger dick" things, then by all means spend more money. but you can spend a lot more money to buy a gun that doesn't do a damn thing better than what an 870 does.

SquareRound
05-11-2004, 15:18
Beretta Xtrema, comfortable to shoot and accurate as hell.

84S
05-11-2004, 15:28
Originally posted by USMCsilver
If you have the money to spend on a bird gun, then those guns are quite nice. I, OTOH, am not too crazy about taking a decent gun bird hunting. I have shot all kinds of avian creatures with old faithful -- a 870 Express Magnum. The thing has been through hell and back and could tell many 'a stories. From boat paddle to walking stick, it has been through it all. The best stories it can tell is all of the times it has outshot $2,000 shotguns at the skeet/trap/sporting clays range. The look on some people's faces is priceless. Out of my six shotguns, I'll pick my 870, hands down, to complete any task.

Your success of out shooting folks on the skeet range is more shooter than the shotgun itself. That being said, the 870 rules and is the best shotgun in the world IMHO.

Dogbite
05-11-2004, 19:02
If your into semi-auto shotguns,you should look at the beretta 391--i have one,its a great gun,except a real pain to clean the thing.

noway
05-12-2004, 07:36
Both SG are good models to have. I have a Benelli M1 field and it is darn great., but if I had to replace it, I would look very hard at the eXtrema or SBE. Beretta has whent a long way with producing the 3.5" eXtrema and the now economical Benelli SBE is a great field gun that will let you use everything from light 2.75" to the heavy pounding duck & turkey loads in the 3.5" super magnums. Both guns are reliable and easy to shoot and carry in the field.

They only thing they break is the wallet and checking account.
;f

Michigun
05-13-2004, 07:03
Originally posted by AK_Stick
neither, the berretta is much better. The only problem with the Benelli is it kicks so damn hard

I agree on the Beretta AK_Stick... I'll also add that Iíve seen Benelli's auto loading system have troubles with lighter loads.

PlasticGuy
05-28-2004, 22:26
I hunted for 11 years with a 12 guage Remington 870. I did okay with it, but was always a bit disappointed with my performance considering the amount of shooting I did with it. I then switched to a 20 guage 870 lightweight and did a lot better. The 20 guage doesn't throw as much shot, but I made quicker and cleaner shots and killed a lot more birds.

Then I decided to front the money for an expensive shotgun. I handled and shot a lot of really nice guns in the $1000 ballpark, and eventually chose a Beretta 391 20 guage. I've been shooting it for the last year, and I'm doing better than I ever have before -- by far! Recoil is minimal, shots are quick and right on target, and the light weight is wonderful after a full day of flushing pheasant and quail. I don't think you would be at all disappointed with a Beretta 391.

If restricted to the choiced you listed, the Benelli would be my pick, as its handling qualities are most similar to my Beretta.

A_Swede_17_1911
05-29-2004, 00:00
I would go for the Browning Gold, but i have to admit i like Brownings equipent, i have a A bolt, and used to hunt with a Browning Bow till i joined the Army, even use Browning Fishing Rods too.

friar
05-29-2004, 07:49
Benelli super black eagle. I've owed 5 different shotguns over the past 30 years and the black eagle is the best all around shotgun I've had so far.

turq
05-29-2004, 08:15
I own a M1, but if I can give you .02 hold the 20ga. Benelli M1. Feels like it would be a pleasure to carry all day long.Get the longer Bbl.

striderglock
05-29-2004, 08:41
Remington 870 for pump gun or Beretta for auto.

f1b32oPTic
05-30-2004, 12:24
Originally posted by striderglock
Remington 870 for pump gun or Beretta for auto.

agreed

MrGlock21
06-02-2004, 23:25
Originally posted by mkink
I have narrowed it down to a Browning Gold classic hunter and a benelli m1 field. Any suggestions or opinions will greatly help. Thanks

I'd pick the M1 Field in a heartbeat.