First Thread [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : First Thread

05-13-2004, 09:58
Oh boy, oh boy...oh boy................

I get to post the first thread!!!!!;c ;c ;c

Lucky me!

Now I have to send my TenTec Delta II back to Tennessee for repairs; fix my broken tower; and try for 175 countries on 20 cw.

Ham Radio and Glocks.

Life is good.

Texas T
05-13-2004, 11:01
I'm not a ham (yet) but I have some interest in pursuing a license and look forward to learning more about it in this forum. My dad was a ham but I'll have to hunt high and low to see if I can find any of his logs or his callsign. He was an airborne radio operator in the AF and always had a station going wherever we were located.

When we lived on Guam in the 60's we would talk with our grandparents via patches. Pretty cool when you're a kid. :)

When he would fly on missions he would tell me what freqs he would be on so that I could listen in from home. I could only pick up his departure and approaches but that was enough. I doubt if my mom really would have wanted to hear what was going on as my dad was on the actual bomb runs. :)

I was also proficient in morse by the time I was in third grade. We ran a wired setup from his bedroom to the living room and would "talk" back and forth on the keys. I wish I still had that little set-up. I got rid of all his ham gear years ago, and just like getting rid of guns you discover later in life that you wish you would have kept it. I did keep his morse key; the wires are kind of frayed but it should still work well. I'll find out one of these days.

k8ysv
05-13-2004, 11:36
BOOYAH!!!!!!

We get numbers here too? ;f

TWO DAYS UNTIL DAYTON!!!!!!!!!

I wasn't gonna be able to make it, but the cards fell in just the right place and I'm SO there. Now if I only had some $ to spend......

bangelo
05-13-2004, 12:03
Sweet, im glad we got this ham forum up. Texas T I know you live in the woodlands, So if you need some help studing for your license or wana check out some of my equipment, drop me an email orsomething. We could even go to the candy store and pick you up a radio after you get your license or before you get it if you wana listen in.

05-13-2004, 12:39
Good deal Texas T. I'm not familiar anymore with the licensing procedures, but the emphasis on Morse code isn't what it used to be (won't comment on whether that's a good thing or not).

There are lots of study guides available. My suggestion is that you pick one up, and bone up. It won't be too difficult.

Then, you need to figure out what facet of the hobby interests you. It's varied and diverse. I like chasing DX using CW, and talking with my friends locally via UHF and VHF repeaters.

Your avatar shows the Texas and Arizona flags. The XYL and I are thinking of AZ after I retire. Would really like to get the hell out of Kalifornia (for purely political reasons).

Good luck, and let us know if you need any help with your license.

73's

Owl - W6SE

05-13-2004, 12:41
Originally poste by k8ysv
Now if I only had some $ to spend......
The eternal problem.............spend money on radios, or spend money on guns.....

k8ysv
05-13-2004, 12:50
Originally posted by Owl
The eternal problem.............spend money on radios, or spend money on guns.....

Yah, and I JUST bought a new Kimber too.... :)

These tough decisions are killing me!

dave5339
05-13-2004, 13:01
Hey Texas T,

When you get your ticket holler at me. My wife, (vic303/N0VMR) and I might be selling our HF rig and antenna, (TenTech Paragon? and a Gap Challenger). Since we moved to the land of home owners associations and suburbia we haven't set up our HF stuff.

Semper Fi

Texas T
05-13-2004, 13:53
Originally posted by bangelo
Sweet, im glad we got this ham forum up. Texas T I know you live in the woodlands, So if you need some help studing for your license or wana check out some of my equipment, drop me an email orsomething. We could even go to the candy store and pick you up a radio after you get your license or before you get it if you wana listen in. Damn. Just like in the gun forums there is always someone ready to help you spend your money! :( :) :) :)

Thanks Bangelo, I'll keep that in mind, but I just paid a $1600 tranny rebuild charge this morning so there won't be any new toys in the TT household for a while.

Texas T
05-13-2004, 14:01
Good deal Texas T.
If you're congratulating me on getting the forum going it's misplaced. Kudos go to GSD17 for taking the initiative and making this happen. ;c

I'm not familiar anymore with the licensing procedures, but the emphasis on Morse code isn't what it used to be (won't comment on whether that's a good thing or not).
Yes, I had heard that. As with many things in life, as the standards are relaxed more people get involved but not always are they the ones you want to associate with.

There are lots of study guides available. My suggestion is that you pick one up, and bone up. It won't be too difficult.
Specific suggestions?

Then, you need to figure out what facet of the hobby interests you. It's varied and diverse. I like chasing DX using CW, and talking with my friends locally via UHF and VHF repeaters.
I talked a lot of skip in my CB days and had quite a full QSL log so DX is always of interest.

Your avatar shows the Texas and Arizona flags. The XYL and I are thinking of AZ after I retire. Would really like to get the hell out of Kalifornia (for purely political reasons).
I'm originally from AZ (Tucson), but moved to TX from the SF Bay Area in 91. I'd like to get back home (visited two weeks ago) but the boy has a good job here with a genetics company and is working on his Bio-Tech degree so it's doubtful I could get her to move. You could do far worse than AZ for your retirement. My mom lives in Tucson half the year and the White Mountains during the summer. My sister lives in Benson (s of Tucson), and I have a neice in Flagstaff. There are also a lot of GTers that live in AZ so we can offer plenty of advice and suggestions.

bangelo
05-13-2004, 14:02
Well You still need to study, take your test and wait on the FCC to give you your license so you have plenty of time to save up for some nice equipment. Just cut down on some range sessions and you will be there in no time. That works for me usually, but I shoot 3 times a week. if the weather is nice. Guess only once a week since its been raining for 3 days. That also reminds me. You ever shoot IDPA? If not you should think about comming out to Thunder gun range on 242 and 1314, Tons of fun.

Texas T
05-13-2004, 14:03
Originally posted by dave5339
Hey Texas T,

When you get your ticket holler at me. My wife, (vic303/N0VMR) and I might be selling our HF rig and antenna, (TenTech Paragon? and a Gap Challenger). Since we moved to the land of home owners associations and suburbia we haven't set up our HF stuff.

Semper Fi Want to do a trade in Sheepdog stickers? ;f

I'm glad you brought up the homeowner's thing. I'll start another thread with that specific topic.

bangelo
05-13-2004, 14:05
Oh yea, here is a good study form. I studied this for 4 days and I passed my test 100% http://www.qrz.com/testing.html you want the technician one.

Texas T
05-13-2004, 14:06
You ever shoot IDPA? If not you should think about comming out to Thunder gun range on 242 and 1314, Tons of fun. No, I haven't. And I'm embarrassed to say that I haven't been to ANY range in the last six months. I need to go get some trigger time.

For pistol I usually go to Shooter's Station. For rifle I like the Gun Emporium on 1354(?) off the 336 West Loop.

bangelo
05-13-2004, 14:08
Shooters station! oh God no. I hate that place. Go to carters country or something. Well they arnt much better, Go to thunder gun range, Its a 7 dollar fee and there are never allot of people there. Just be sure to bring your own ammo or jesse will rape you on the price. and every tuesday night at 6 we shoot idpa matches. lots of fun.

Texas T
05-13-2004, 14:17
Oh yea, here is a good study form. I studied this for 4 days and I passed my test 100% http://www.qrz.com/testing.html you want the technician one. Only scored 57% on the first try. ;Q

bangelo
05-13-2004, 14:27
Hmm I got a 54 % and im licensed! Crazy, on another note, do a goole for echo link radio, or www.echolinkradio.com. Basically its a repeater that has a gateway to the internet that allows linking of multiple repeaters thousands of miles away through the internet. And you can use echolinki repeaters from your computer after you get your license. Its very very cool stuff.

Texas T
05-13-2004, 14:30
Hmm I got a 54 % and im licensed! Heh... just tried it again and got a 63. ;f

bangelo
05-13-2004, 14:32
Originally posted by Owl
Good deal Texas T. I'm not familiar anymore with the licensing procedures, but the emphasis on Morse code isn't what it used to be (won't comment on whether that's a good thing or not).

Ill comment on it. Do not take this as a flame of any kind, this is just my opinion. I think taking away the morse code was an awsome idea. Morse code has an effect to scare new hams away. I know it scared me away when they still did the code tests. After they took them away I considered taking the test again and getting involved. And vwala im here with my ham license. Allot of people are upset about them revising the tests to make them less "technical" Well back in the day most hams built there radios so the tests needed to be technical so people wouldnt burn there eyeballs out with RF exposure. Nowadays almost nobody builds there radios any more. Its much easier to go and buy a radio from radio shack and be on the air in minutes. Times change and I think the FCC is doing a fine job keeping up.

bangelo
05-13-2004, 14:34
Originally posted by Texas T
Heh... just tried it again and got a 63. ;f

At that rate you will be ready in 45 more minutes!

Texas T
05-13-2004, 14:43
At that rate you will be ready in 45 more minutes! Completed 35 of 35 Current score is: 24/35 = 68.6%

I was as high as 74% but blew the last few questions. :(

bangelo
05-13-2004, 14:44
Haahah dont burn yourself out!

Oli
05-13-2004, 15:00
hi,

my name is Oli, short for Oliver. I'am a Ham. My call is DL1OLI. It is a full HF licence with morse code test and all. As you can see I live in Germany.

Most the time I'am here on GT I read. Getting infos on hobbies, and another view of the world. Not always the BS that is coming throu the media (TV and other)

Once, some years ago I tried the online tech test. Without any knowlege of US regulations I passed this. It is not very difficult. So I can only recommend to learn, do the test an become a ham.

I'am don't think that I can contact you via HF in the moment. The upper HF bands have very poor condition, and I have no beam antenna for HF now. Only a pice of wire called ZS6BKW antenna a modivied G5RV.

But if there are GT Net frequencies I will try to listen or contact you.

My other hobbies are my Landrovers, Mil-com, my G17, AR and much more.

vy 73
Oli

GSD17
05-13-2004, 15:03
yep, guns n radios, does life get any better?

GSD17
05-13-2004, 15:51
Hey I've got an idea, lets keep bumping this and talking on it and see how long we can keep our "First Post" in the Ham Shack

Texas T
05-13-2004, 17:21
At that rate you will be ready in 45 more minutes!

I took some time out for dinner....

You have passed the test with a score of 85.7 percent. ;a

I did hit a peak of 91.3 about half way through the test and then fell off a bit. :(

k8ysv
05-13-2004, 17:26
Hi Oli! Welcome to the Ham Shack!

bangelo
05-13-2004, 17:59
Howdy oli, glad to see you here, and welcome to glocktalk

Texas T
05-13-2004, 19:24
Originally posted by Oli
My other hobbies are my Landrovers, Mil-com, my G17, AR and much more. Go to Oli's profile and then click on his website. Cool!

sensei
05-13-2004, 22:59
Texas T,

I belong to the Clarc Club in Webster (NASA) and the Pearland Radio Club.

We both can help you prepare and also give you the tests. If you don't want to come down here I know people in Humble who will do the same.
Let me know if yu are interested.

sensei
KK5RAY

OSSI
05-13-2004, 23:33
Hey GSD17
Congrats to your site, you made it:cool:

GSD17
05-14-2004, 19:51
thanks for helping me get this forum for US

Texas T
05-21-2004, 00:11
Oh yea, here is a good study form. I studied this for 4 days and I passed my test 100% http://www.qrz.com/testing.html you want the technician one. Just took the first crack at the General exam and scored a 63. Guess it's time to buy a book. :)

TXLEWIS
05-21-2004, 07:04
I took the test a dozen times. Failed it every time.

Read the info on the bob-oracle, and now pass it everytime I take it.

I posted another thread in the ham shack about tech license.

Now I gotta go find someone to administer the test.

TXL

bangelo
05-21-2004, 09:45
Originally posted by Texas T
Just took the first crack at the General exam and scored a 63. Guess it's time to buy a book. :)

Baby steps my friend, baby steps. Get your tech first then worry about the general. I have no urge to work HF yet. But I love, LOVE 70 cm

bangelo
05-21-2004, 10:02
jdklsjfklds

Texas T
05-21-2004, 14:53
Originally posted by TXLEWIS
Now I gotta go find someone to administer the test. Here ya go...

http://www.w5yi.org/vol-exam.htm#Texas

RandySmith
05-28-2004, 21:54
85.7% for me.
Lots of changes since I was last involved with it.

Randy

GSD17
06-18-2004, 00:05
fixin to take a crack at general in the next month or so