Cheap and simple fuel ( liquid ) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Cheap and simple fuel ( liquid )

noway
05-14-2004, 15:47
have anybody use those light weight fuel containers while camping? ( MSR fuel bottles )

Most people who camp over night down her brings a propane tank and attach this to their coleman burner top. I wouldn't mind a smaller pkg like a simple fuel tank and burner. I only plan on cooking a small pkg or meats or warm up some beans. Nothing major.

any cons with MSR style tanks?

Elk-ruser
05-14-2004, 16:29
If your talking about the disposable, backpacker types then the only drawback is that you throw them away when empty thereby filling a landfill. I use them only for lightweight ATV/ backpack trips. Other than that they kick-butt over coleman fuel types.

If your talking about the refillable, screwtop bottles for Coleman fuel, those work well also. I have had a few leak when the o-ring deteriorated but that is easily fixed.

At altitude, an issue here in CO, the disposables just plain work better and are quite a bit hotter. I've had the coleman types at 11K feet and was barely able to get a pot hot enought for coffee.

In either case, use the heavy tinfoil windblocker that comes with most lightweight stoves. It helps alot.

Hope that helps.
Erik

mpol777
05-14-2004, 18:00
Of the 2 main fuel sources (liquid and canister) there are a bunch of different models of stoves out there, but 2 basic types.

One type is basically a blow torch. The MSR pocket Rocket is one of these. This is the one I use the most. Basically it's good at boiling water for dehydrated meals and tea/coffee. It sucks for simmering or slow cooking something, but will heat up a few cups of water in no time flat. It looks weak, but is surprisingly stable. This is the ultralight option.

The other are more in tuned for cooking. The one I have is the Primus Omni Fuel. I can use both canister and liquid fuels with it and it has a larger flame area so it works better for cooking. The drawback to this type is weight and size. Liquid fuel stoves take a bit of learning on how to prime it in different conditions, but you can run just about any type of gas through them in a pinch. That's where the Omni Fuel kicks butt. If you run out of canisters on a long trek, you'll find some kind of liquid fuel that will work.

A friend of mine has the MSR Wind Pro. It's only canister, but it's pretty compact and does a good job cooking.