memories, real and imagined [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : memories, real and imagined

Bill Powell
05-14-2004, 21:24
i do remember my eleventh general order. I'LL WALK MY POST FROM FLANK TO FLANK, AND TAKE NO CRAP FROM ANY RANK.

Chopperdog
05-15-2004, 05:37
When I was in Navy boot camp, we had a different version of the 11th general order, but it is sort of filthy and I can't post it here.

M2 Carbine
05-15-2004, 07:58
I remember,
from 1956 USMC Parris Island boot camp,

The punishment that scared me the most was dry shaving while double timing in place singing the Marine Corps hymn with a bucket on your head.

We had one black guy that cut himself up so bad it looked like he was in a hatchet fight without a hatchet.

I never had to do that but I was decked a number of times and I was a champion at "elbows and toes".

I remember,
being dead tired and standing at attention so long that my vision shut down. It would start turning Gray from the sides and close in until I couldn't see with my eyes wide open.
I knew I couldn't see but it was restfull so I went with it.:)

I remember the plaster board wall opposite the DI's hatch was busted in from the DI's "thumping" the "people" and knocking them into the wall.

I remember I hated to be called "people".
To this day I hate to be called "people".

What an interesting few months.
Maybe that's why I have a mean streak today.;f

Bill Powell
05-15-2004, 08:35
les see now, 1956 paris island, i took basic fort ord 1960, by god he is older than i am. it's an honor to meet you m2carbine, and let me tell you, as someone older than me, you can tell your stories, and out of respect for the aged, i will sit back and listen.

i took basic training in fort ord in 1960. my company commander had an aversion to walking, so if we went over a mile, the cattle trucks were called in to transport us. god forbid we should have to walk through that deep sand to the beach ranges, so we were driven there, too. the infiltration course was grass, and mowed weekly. on main post there was no such thing as summer. even liberty was rough, cause we had to go to carmel by the sea, or monterrey, or some other dump. i wish i could swap basic training horror stories with you guys, but i can't. basic came as close to absolutely knocked duty as i had the whole time i was in the army, except maybe when i was post commander's driver at ft benjamin harrison, in indiana.

RussP
05-15-2004, 12:15
Originally posted by M2 Carbine
...I remember,
being dead tired and standing at attention so long that my vision shut down. It would start turning Gray from the sides and close in until I couldn't see with my eyes wide open.
I knew I couldn't see but it was restfull so I went with it.:)
... You're the first person I've known who experienced that also. During some psychological training I had to go through, I really po'd some interrogators. Actually it was a mock POW camp and I escaped. (No one told me I wasn't suppose to do that...;Q )

They put me in solitary in a 4x4 room and told me to stay standing. Like you said, M2, all of a sudden it was dark and at first I thought I was asleep, but I knew I was standing up, and I knew my eyes were open, and yes, it is restfull.

I have no idea how long I was in there, but it really, really pissed them off when I came out rested and alert. They put me back in "the room" and I did the same thing again.

Never could find anyone else who'd experienced the same thing. Some guys told me they passed out and collapsed, but no one else who'd remained upright. ^c

M2 Carbine
05-16-2004, 08:27
I'm not THAT old Bill.
I just feel like it. ;f

Yes Russ, that "gray out" effected my vision something like a 5.5 G load in an aircraft effected me.

I could still hear what was going on around me and could snap out of it right away but it was like my mind was just shy of being asleep.

After the first time I found I could drop into this "at rest state" fairly fast.
Maybe that's something like what people that are into meditation, yoga, etc are doing.

I guess the mind has built in ways to try and protect itself and the body.

I remember
during the, M1 on the finger tips of outstreached arms punishment, I would try to get my mind off it by looking at the expressions on the faces around me.
My squad leader was a Red headed guy and his face was bright Red from the strain.
I burst out laughing, IN my mind of course. :)

That time was also when I realised I was going to make it through Parris Island. I realised I wasn't the strongest and toughest but I was far from the weakest.
Usually whatever hardship or punishment we did the DI's continued it until someone fell out and they got their ass kicked.
When I realised there would be many men fail before me it took that load off my mind. :)

spetsnaz777
05-17-2004, 22:35
I recall being in a small mountain village in central Bosnia called Solun in the early springtime. I was with a group of German Army engineers and infantry who , in conjunction with the Italian Army, cleared a small pasture of landmines. To show good faith with the locals we set up a small soccer game match and played for several hours. The thought of death or dismemberment from landmines wasnt really in my mind that day. I don't recall seeing any Americans there as their "force protection" rules prohibited such contact with the populace. The local Imam was also on site to watch us play and he was a welcoming and cordial man.

Solun is an isolated mountain village that was apparently very close to being starved out by the Serbs and shelled.

I was able to hold a newborn infant after the game and it made my time there much more fulfilling knowing we each had done a small part, by virtue of our precense to allow these people to live in peace.

Don't ask me why this event came to mind but I thougth it was worth sharing.

Bill Powell
05-18-2004, 07:12
spetsnaz777, your mention of mines triggered a memory of mines and my tour in korea. one was spooky in hindsight, one was kind of funny, and one was very exciting, and a little scary til we figured out the scope of the blast.

the first time, i had crossed freedom bridge, and was taking the short cut from the panmunjum area to the eighth cav. it was a little winding one lane trail through the woods. on one of the little creek crossings the bottom had washed out, and my front bumper had landed on the opposite bank, suspending my front axle in the air. after an hour of standing in that fast flowing creek, with rocks slamming into my ankles, we got the truck out. an hour or two later i was back at munsan washing my truck when i heard a big explosion up by the DMZ, and a little while later a wrecker came by hauling what was left of a skorean civilian truck. those rocks slamming into my ankles had been land mines, washed out of an old mine field. course, most of that country was an old mine field.

the second time we wanted to have a barbecue. i was driving along the south side of the DMZ, when one of those little red deer jumped up and started running. i stuck my m-2 carbine out the window, and was preparing to lay down a field of fire in front of it, so it could run into it. well, just as i started to squeeze the trigger, BOOM, and that deer started imitating a bird. i thought about wading ou into that minefield to get him, for about a nano-second, and went back to the quartermaster warehouse and stole some steaks.

the third time i was supporting the fourth cav on a field exercise, and this brilliant tactition, a colonel, group all his ammo trucks, our fuel tankers, everyone in a neat little circle. while we were sitting there, enjoying the colonel's relaxation, an M-47 tank was shifting position, and ran over an old wooden box mine. luckily it was just one, washed down from some minefield, so all it did was break a track and blow a fender off, oh yeah, and scare that crew out of about ten years growth. they used to stack the mines for anti-tank purposes, and boy, what a mess that would have been.