How do you carry? (not pack or purse) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How do you carry? (not pack or purse)

cashisking
05-18-2004, 12:58
Ladies,

Going to get a holster for my G19. I am not registered for CCW yet, but am planning on taking the class next month.

I am deathly afraid that if I carry in a fanny pack I will forget it somewhere, though I am considering one for use on my motorcycle. A pruse, not really an option as I never carry one, I take a backpack to work so I prefer to carry on my person. I am about 5'5" and weigh 125-130. Don't know too much about holsters, but my style of dress is casual loose fitting clothes. I think I will feel more comfortable IWB at 11:00 (lefty), or SOB. Are there pros and cons to leather vs kydex? What have you found to be the most comfy for you? Waht can one expect to pay for a good holster?

Thanks in advance

Jenn

Belle
05-18-2004, 14:38
For your general questions regarding price and leather versus etc. try browsing in

Gock Talk > Practical Tactics > Carry Issues

There have also been several threads about SOB carry that might interest you.

cashisking
05-18-2004, 15:03
Thanks Belle, I have been surfing around there. I understand the SOB arguments, but I "THINK" it would be more practical for me at work as I sit alot, I "THINK" the holster would dig into my abdomen more than my back. I don't see alot of "how do girls carry" threads, and was wondering what the rest of the ladies do? I just dont hear alot of women carrying "on their person".. Is there holsters that are made specifically for women?

Belle
05-18-2004, 16:21
There is a drop-and-offset type holster made for women that allows for a bit of curve and our shorter torso. It's worn OWB and is only convenient if you wear long jackets. You also need a belt and loops to keep it in place.

If you can draw from your waist and don't like the drop-and-offset then there's also what I've heard referred to as "kidney carry" that's worn IWB at about 4:00, or 8:00 for you.

Vic303
05-18-2004, 20:42
When I'm not pregnant, IWB with a Threat Solutions UCR is great for me, and I'm not a 'small' person! Now that I'm 7wks away from duedate, I generally carry in a SmartCarry rig, with the easiest pistol for me to carry, a Taurus 605 .357 with Hogue wood grips. It (SC) doesn't require a belt (fits under maternity-loose clothing), and the Taurus doesn't dig into the baby...I also have a Coronado Leather Crosscarry purse for those Dr office visits...;P

cashisking
05-19-2004, 10:26
does the UCR dig into your ribs? That LOOKS alot like it would work for me..

Vic303
05-19-2004, 12:51
No, the UCR doesn't dig in to me, and it should be even better when not pregnant (soon!). If anything, it can put some pressure on the lower hip/backside area, but not if you find the 'sweetspot' for yourself. Dave the maker is also willing to work with you to alter the holster to fit you better. Just email or call him, although I understand right now he is swamped with orders.

BTW, I carry a short 1911 in mine, but due to the holster's open bottom, could carry ANY length barrel without alteration.

cashisking
05-19-2004, 13:52
Thanks Vic, I will e-mail him and see what he can do for me... :)