Whats your call sign? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Whats your call sign?

bangelo
05-19-2004, 12:47
And if you have a vanity call, what was your purpose in picking that specific one?

Ill start. KD5WLN was what the FCC gave me. duhhhh boooooorrrrrrinnnngggg. So I got K5ILO with out the 5 it spells KILO! (at the time i thoughth this was the most impressive thing I have ever contemplated)

therealmarauder
05-19-2004, 15:50
i wanted WD4O but it was taken. so i just left it at my asigned. KG4BCX

KB4IFS
05-19-2004, 17:10
KB4IFS Always has been and will probably stay that way. I have to agree with my wife, it's like a nickname.

GSD17
05-19-2004, 17:40
lol Wd40 thats awesome! lol mine is KI4FKW

vafish
05-19-2004, 18:42
Someone told me that KY4SEX and KY4BUT are still available.

Texas T
05-19-2004, 19:38
I assume call signs are reassigned when they become dormant. If this is correct and my father's call sign has been assigned to someone else, is it possible to get the new user to transfer it to me (if in fact they were willing to do so)?

sensei
05-19-2004, 22:07
Orignal call was WB5QWP. Vanity call is KK5RAY. My name is Ray.

sensei

uhlawpup
05-20-2004, 06:43
When I was first licensed as a novice in 1964, the call I was issued was WN5LNG. It was changed to WA5LNG when I passed my General in April, 1965. I kept that call until I became an attorney in 1999. My initials weren't available, so I became K5LAW.

My British call, G0JCZ, was assigned to me in 1987, and I've kept it ever since. I would love to really get my initials in the form of M0PJM, but they won't issue the call to me, even though MAA-MZZ is a British callsign block. (sigh)

(For the record, the callsign on the Titanic was MGY. It has never been reissued.)

uhlawpup
05-20-2004, 06:46
Originally posted by Texas T
I assume call signs are reassigned when they become dormant. If this is correct and my father's call sign has been assigned to someone else, is it possible to get the new user to transfer it to me (if in fact they were willing to do so)?

I doubt if they would allow the transfer through regular channels, but a special exception might be made since family members are given preference. If it has already been assigned, this could be a problem. Have you checked to see if it is? Go to QRZ.COM and look it up.

Depending on the style of the call, if it is not reissued, you should be able to get it as long as you qualify for the class of license for which that style of callsign is issued.

N1PJ
05-20-2004, 12:01
I used to be KB1HSK (Ham Super Killowatt)
My nickname has always been PJ, one of my ham club members told me N1PJ was up on VanityHQ. Being an extra I jumped on it right away. I like it, I have always wanted a 1*2 call.
73's

PJ

N1PJ

Worcester County Skywarn Coordinator

Oli
05-20-2004, 12:40
Hi,

everybody calls me Oli. So I got DL1OLI ;a

Last Year I had a QSO with ZS1OLI, his name is also OLI ;f

I'am looking for other Oli's on the Band's since then, but never heard one more...

WAO Worked All Oli's nice idea for a diploma ?

bye
Oli

lymph
05-20-2004, 15:32
My call, AC6XA, is what the FCC sent me. I'd only take a vanity call if I could find a 2x1 that starts with A and has a 6 or 7 in it. I'm picky!

briankeefe
05-21-2004, 15:05
I was assigned KB3DSC

cmuncy
05-23-2004, 07:10
First back in the early 70's as KA4SFE.

Moved from GA to CA and got N6GJD

Here in Texas its now N5GKB for the past 25 years.

Tom B
05-23-2004, 16:41
KJ4QJ

EUPHER49
05-23-2004, 18:59
WN3MPZ
N3OHH
AD3X Vanity, just cuz it sounds so neat in Morse.

Jennifer-K9
05-23-2004, 21:44
Wow, you're all so brave pasting your calls all over this board considering that anyone can look them up in QRZ or eHam.... mine's an old address so I'll post mine anyways..<grin>

KB6JEN (vanity for JEN) and VK2WD (2WD)..haha.. Australia.

Jen

bangelo
05-24-2004, 07:00
Originally posted by Jennifer-K9
Wow, you're all so brave pasting your calls all over this board considering that anyone can look them up in QRZ or eHam.... mine's an old address so I'll post mine anyways..<grin>

KB6JEN (vanity for JEN) and VK2WD (2WD)..haha.. Australia.

Jen

That is dumb. You can find out any thing about any one theses days. all you need is there last name and a little bit of brains.

Jennifer-K9
05-24-2004, 08:47
well excuuuuuuuuuuse me B-rad... guess we're not all as smart as you... I'll have to be the token dumb on this thread. :)

By the way, the link in your profile is broke, your web page is down... now "that's" dumb.... but you're excused, you're a 'Tech' ;n

Jen

vafish
05-24-2004, 13:03
Originally posted by bangelo
That is dumb. You can find out any thing about any one theses days. all you need is there last name and a little bit of brains.

Yeah but why make it easy for them?

While your at it why don't you register all your guns and submit them for "Ballistic Finger Printing"? And stop by and give the FBI a DNA sample, what the heck you have nothing to fear, you haven't committed any crimes.

I happen to agree with Jen.

I'm a HAM and I won't post my call sign here.

vafish
05-24-2004, 13:10
Originally posted by Texas T

I don't believe that is correct.

With the exception of the vanity call sign program old call signs were not recycled.

Unless someone else has already requested it your fathers call sign should not have been issued. You should be able to look it up on the FCC CORES web site.

http://wireless.fcc.gov/uls/

vafish
05-24-2004, 13:28
Originally posted by Jennifer-K9
well excuuuuuuuuuuse me B-rad... guess we're not all as smart as you... I'll have to be the token dumb on this thread. :)

By the way, the link in your profile is broke, your web page is down... now "that's" dumb.... but you're excused, you're a 'Tech' ;n

Jen

Jen,

Not only that, but the FCC database lists his address as being on Paua LN, he actually lives on Paula LN.

I guess he was trying to be tricky.;g

bangelo
05-24-2004, 17:52
Originally posted by vafish
Jen,

Not only that, but the FCC database lists his address as being on Paua LN, he actually lives on Paula LN.

I guess he was trying to be tricky.;g

Dont get your panties in a wad. I wasnt saying any one was dumb, wrong choice of words. We are all hams here and we shouldnt be so nit picky about posting our call signs. We use them every 10 minutes on the air. Is some bad guy going to listen in and get our call sigh, look it up on qrz and then come rob us? why not just rob the guy down the street for him. You think they are going to come and steal all your glocks? Well they better hope i dont know how to use any of them.;g Any way, I didnt mean to be rude, I just wanted to hear some stories about why you chose the vanity call you have, if you have one.

Oh yea, i wasnt trying to be tricky. Guess the people at the FCC are *dumb* for not putting in my correct address. And as far as my web site, I sold it for 300 buck to a pro bowler with the same name as me.

uhlawpup
05-31-2004, 12:46
I'm not worried about posting my callsign(s) on here. Why would anyone want to find me in the first place? And if they do, what have I to fear?

I am in as much danger of random crime as I am from someone looking up my address in some database or other...

And you can see from the avatar that I am in absolutely no danger from pretty girls tracking me down to smother me with kisses!

bangelo
06-01-2004, 11:47
Originally posted by uhlawpup

And you can see from the avatar that I am in absolutely no danger from pretty girls tracking me down to smother me with kisses!

Your right about that!;f

GSD17
06-18-2004, 00:01
:)

regalka
06-18-2004, 14:52
KN1YHM (1962), K1YHM (1962-1984), K1RE (vanity).

Ron

Caretaker
06-24-2004, 21:22
Originally posted by bangelo
And if you have a vanity call, what was your purpose in picking that specific one?

Ill start. KD5WLN was what the FCC gave me. duhhhh boooooorrrrrrinnnngggg. So I got K5ILO with out the 5 it spells KILO! (at the time i thoughth this was the most impressive thing I have ever contemplated)

I am Kevin from connecticut and my callsign is N1KGM and am licensed as a Amateur Extrs Class. my personal bio is as follows:

My name is Kevin W. Cellini Callsign: N1KGM. My Date of Birth is 01/11/63. My License Class is Amatuer Extra. My address is at 49 Sunrise Avenue in Trumbull, Connecticut. My Telephone Number is (203) 268-5015. My EMAIL ADDRESS is N1KGM@snet.net (or) N1KGM@441700.com . Our WEB PAGE ADDRESS for the Connecticut Regional Testing Center and a list of all our Exam Dates and times, as well as, information all about our repeater, pictures and other amatuer Radio related information is located at http://www.441700.com .(Thanks to the hard work and dedication of Our Webmaster, Jeff kamen NY1M). I have been a ham radio operator since 1990. I operate all bands HF/VHF/UHF (160m to 450Mhz). I am a Co-Repeater Owner of the 441.700Mhz(+) (PL TONE 77.0Hz) Repeater Located in Milford, Connecticut. As well as, Control-Operator involved with maintianing and programming numerous other Repeaters throughout Southern Connecticut. I am a Licensed Commercial Radio and Amateur Extra Class Volunteer Examiner with Licenses from the FCC, National Radio Examiners, W5YI Group, and ARRL and have been so since 1991. I am the Founder, Regional Test Center Manager and Contact Person of the CONNECTICUT REGIONAL TESTING CENTER of Trumbull Connecticut since it's inception in 1994, where we provide licensing exams for all levels of the Commercial Radio, Avionics, Electronics Technician and Amatuer Radio Fields. Our Center is Licensed for Testing by the FCC, National Radio Examiners, W5YI Group and ARRL. You can view and see all this information on our webpage address listed above. If you have any questions Please feel free to contact me at the telephone number, email address or at our webpage all listed above. Thank you and 73 de KEVIN W. CELLINI N1KGM

Geko45
07-04-2004, 09:28
KB5ASW as issued... I think I must be the very last Tech+ in existance. Got my Novice license when I was 14 (18 years ago) and upgraded to Tech a few months later and then stayed there (was inactive for a long time). Got the automatic bump to Tech+ when the FCC dropped Novice and the code requirement. At the time, you needed to be faster at morse to get General (was it 10 or 12wpm? I forget). Now I can get General with the 5wpm I did way back when, if I would just take the test. I've got the General study guide sitting on my desk, but never seem to find the time.

WestTexasGT
07-07-2004, 20:05
I have to admit I haven't picked up a radio in a couple months at least, too busy with school and work I guess. Got my license over a year ago at a St Patrick's Day meet, KD5JWG.

My dad has had his license for years, N5KOA.

dave5339
07-13-2004, 15:41
Originally posted by Geko45
KB5ASW as issued... I think I must be the very last Tech+ in existance. Got my Novice license when I was 14 (18 years ago) and upgraded to Tech a few months later and then stayed there (was inactive for a long time). Got the automatic bump to Tech+ when the FCC dropped Novice and the code requirement. At the time, you needed to be faster at morse to get General (was it 10 or 12wpm? I forget). Now I can get General with the 5wpm I did way back when, if I would just take the test. I've got the General study guide sitting on my desk, but never seem to find the time.

Your not the last Tech+ out there. My wife, n0vmr is a Tech+ also. Me, I'm just a lowly no code tech, kc0dox.

73's and Semper Fi

ky8t
07-16-2004, 18:51
I selected KY8T from the available list when I upgraded to Extra a couple of years ago because it was distinctive and was easy for me to say. My former call was WD5CID.

G19G26
07-19-2004, 17:45
You left out your credit card numbers. Try to be more thorough next time!

Originally posted by Caretaker
I am Kevin from connecticut and my callsign is N1KGM and am licensed as a Amateur Extrs Class. my personal bio is as follows:

My name is Kevin W. Cellini Callsign: N1KGM. My Date of Birth is 01/11/63. My License Class is Amatuer Extra. My address is at 49 Sunrise Avenue in Trumbull, Connecticut. My Telephone Number is (203) 268-5015. My EMAIL ADDRESS is N1KGM@snet.net (or) N1KGM@441700.com . Our WEB PAGE ADDRESS for the Connecticut Regional Testing Center and a list of all our Exam Dates and times, as well as, information all about our repeater, pictures and other amatuer Radio related information is located at http://www.441700.com .(Thanks to the hard work and dedication of Our Webmaster, Jeff kamen NY1M). I have been a ham radio operator since 1990. I operate all bands HF/VHF/UHF (160m to 450Mhz). I am a Co-Repeater Owner of the 441.700Mhz(+) (PL TONE 77.0Hz) Repeater Located in Milford, Connecticut. As well as, Control-Operator involved with maintianing and programming numerous other Repeaters throughout Southern Connecticut. I am a Licensed Commercial Radio and Amateur Extra Class Volunteer Examiner with Licenses from the FCC, National Radio Examiners, W5YI Group, and ARRL and have been so since 1991. I am the Founder, Regional Test Center Manager and Contact Person of the CONNECTICUT REGIONAL TESTING CENTER of Trumbull Connecticut since it's inception in 1994, where we provide licensing exams for all levels of the Commercial Radio, Avionics, Electronics Technician and Amatuer Radio Fields. Our Center is Licensed for Testing by the FCC, National Radio Examiners, W5YI Group and ARRL. You can view and see all this information on our webpage address listed above. If you have any questions Please feel free to contact me at the telephone number, email address or at our webpage all listed above. Thank you and 73 de KEVIN W. CELLINI N1KGM

G19G26
07-19-2004, 17:45

Originally posted by Caretaker

Caretaker
07-19-2004, 18:26
Originally posted by G19G26

good to see we have pleased another person in the world, for it is my life's goal to do so. Thank you and Glad you are happy.

God Bless and Be Happy.
kevin n1kgm:)

sacluded
08-06-2004, 00:50
My original call was KD6PHA. My vanity call is N6CTM. I'm a no code, but when I got my license all of the 1x3 callsigns had been issued so i was given a 2x3. While I was overseas and not useing my call sign anyway, I founf out about the vanities s I took the oppurtunity to get a 1x3. My rateing in the navy was a CTM, so that's why I chose that. It sounds pretty good in morse too.

KA7ZPW
08-12-2004, 00:56
<------Issued 18 years ago when I passed the novice exams, thought about dropping the "A" once or twice, but to heck with it. Not as active as I once was, but I am accumulating more and more gear. (XYL hates that part of the hobby);)

KennyC
08-12-2004, 05:56
I was licensed in about 1964 with a novice license of WN5SOY
along with three friends (WN5SOX, WN5SOZ, and WN5SPA). Back then novice licenses were only good for a year and non-renewable. Also there were no local tests, everyone had to be tested by the FCC at their regional offices. I took the 2 hour drive to Dallas, TX for the exam and passed the written, but couldn't pass the 13 WPM for my General so got the Tech? license. Went back for the drive and passed later to upgrade to General with call WA5SOY. Stayed that way for quite a while til I moved to Colorado and had to change (there was no keeping call signs in different regions even then) and became WD0DIH. After may years got back into the hobby and upgraded to Extra and became WB0E.

KAC
WB0E

teeuu
08-17-2004, 20:12
http://www.users.qwest.net/~teeuu/qsl.jpg

K3XQ
08-19-2004, 20:56
In 1958 I was licensed KN8JER. Got my Tech. and got K8JER. Moved to Fla.. got W4JIQ. In about '65, I got W3AEZ and retained W4JIQ. Had to drop W4JIQ. Got my Extra, Held W3AEZ. A few years later I applied to and got K3XQ....This was the best one at the time....did not get what I wanted....

73, Bud K3XQ

LinuxKnight
08-22-2004, 19:55
Originally issued KG6BZQ... ugh kind of a mouthful.
Later I got vanity call K6LNX.

As you can guess from my GT nick I am a Linux guy ;).
Upgraded to General and kept my nifty vanity call.
If and when I up to Extra I'll most likely still keep it, I haven't thought of (and seen available) a good fitting 1x2 or 2x1 that I like.

K6LNX was the first one on my list to FCC.

;?

big ray
09-10-2004, 04:11
Hi my call is W2VIP been a ham since 1984 and just wanted a call sign that was easy to remember. 73 Ray

TammiJ
09-13-2004, 22:15
Hi everyone, my call sign is KD5OVX. I've had this since 2001 and rarely if ever talk.:(

uhlawpup
09-14-2004, 07:24
Well, if I ever hear you, Tammy, I'll be happy to talk to you.

K5LAW

TammiJ
09-19-2004, 11:39
Originally posted by uhlawpup
Well, if I ever hear you, Tammy, I'll be happy to talk to you.

K5LAW

Thank you! :)

WD8T
09-19-2004, 19:55
First call in 1987 , KC4BCL(novice)...next KE8RW(Adv)...then in 1989 WO8J. Moved to Indiana in 1998 became KB9E, then got vanity W9RPE(suffix letters are my initials.

73'

beachside39
09-19-2004, 20:59
I'm wondering what your Social Security Number and mother's maiden name might be... Please don't tell us.

I've been so ticked with a mail-order company about my prescription drugs because they make it so difficult to contact them so I e-mailed them all this info on their "unsecured" e-mail address. They continue to send me coded links to read their responses. I hate that. I just want info about my prescription orders and don't really care who they tell. Who else would care about my trivial questions.

Oh, I got my ham call in 1959, so that's 45 years with the same one. I've thought about getting my initials or my Cessna 206's tail number but can't bring myself to give up my old call. It would be cool to have my N number as my call and car license plate though.

ff19106
09-20-2004, 13:27
Mine is KE4WLQ

My wife says the last 3 are for "Wont Leave Quietly"

timbo1963
09-29-2004, 07:31
ku4fk (K)entucky (U)niversity (4) (F)at (K)ids

greenlead
10-08-2004, 23:22
I really, really want N9KBV when i get my license. It was my grandfather, and he was really active as a ham. He helped with tracking storms, etc. He died of cancer a few years ago, and he will be forever missed by all of us grandchildren. :(

So, if I get my tech, will I be able to request his sign? What is the procedure?; I need a refresher, but I'm too lazy to check the FCC site.

Darrell S
10-09-2004, 11:12
K2DRS just upgraded to General class today !!!!!! ;a ;c

WD8T
10-09-2004, 11:45
Congratulations!!!

;f

n9zez
10-09-2004, 21:36
N9ZEZ

Got my Novice/Tech in the same day when I was 12. Thanks to an awesome science teacher in 5th grade. He had a after school class he called S.H.A.R.P or Student Ham Amateur Radio Project. Mr. Molloch had to be one of the most influental teachers I have ever had. I wish I could take another class from him so I could get the motivation to upgrade. I just renewed my license about a month ago. I cannot believe I have had my license for 11 years already and I am only 23!

73's

ryanm
10-11-2004, 11:15
Originally posted by Darrell S
K2DRS just upgraded to General class today !!!!!! ;a ;c

Congrats!

It was suprising how many more contacts I got when operating as
KD5PWW /AG or KD5PWW /AE after upgrading. People just seem to want to talk and congratualate me during that time. Oh well,

congrats again, de N5QZ

RM

KD5MSY
10-11-2004, 20:13
FCC gave me KD5MSY

Darrell S
10-15-2004, 00:17
Thanks Guys for the congrats! I am definately happy to be able to get on the HF bands now. That is where my interest in the hobby started as a shortwave listener. I just remembered one of the original questions on this post is about a vanity call sign and why. Yes mine is a vanity call the reason for it was to get my initials, I figured I could never forget my own initials even if I was nervous, tired, or whatever ;g :) 73 K2DRS

sc6gun
10-21-2004, 15:24
N4RWE...formerly KE4HGW
My initials. No code tech since 1993...maybe one of these days;Q