Dive! Dive! Dive! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Dive! Dive! Dive!

PromptCritical
05-19-2004, 21:34
Any past or present Submariners here? Or Nukes for that matter?

-PromptCritical
Electrician's Mate (Nuclear)
USS Helena (SSN-725)

M2 Carbine
05-20-2004, 09:12
In the late 50's my life long friend was on the Grampus (sp).

He took me on a tour when the boat was in Little Creek, VA.

Very impressive, but not for this Marine.:)

He was offered Nukes but He didn't reenlist.

Deep Blue
05-21-2004, 09:09
USS Pennsylvania (SSBN-735), '98-'02, as a Fire Control Technician. If it makes you feel any better, I failed out of Power School in '97 ;f .

PromptCritical
05-21-2004, 16:57
Huh? A boomer weenie AND a coner? They'll let anyone on this board!;) Seriously, it's nice to know that I'm not the only bubblehead on this board.

Chopperdog
05-23-2004, 05:58
Not a bubblehead, but I did fly in ASW aircraft.;)

EUPHER49
05-23-2004, 19:33
Yup, I was a Nuke...Boomer and Attack SSBN-624 and SSN-639. RO

Later licensed Control Room Operator at Three Mile Island Unit 2!!!! Not too many of us left!!!

You new guys have it easy!!!!!!

PromptCritical
05-26-2004, 20:46
As my Chief once told me, concerning a short trip he had on a 594: "Those guys said 'You City Boat sailors aren't even real Submariners, you aren't even afraid when you go underway!'"

Well, I'll take my City Boat and it's plant anyday. It's faster, more powerful, and not that incomprehensible science fair project on the older boats. 152 days left...

Hunterjbb
05-28-2004, 05:50
yep.. SSN698 - Fire control - 1981-1983.. Navy tried to get me to go to Nuke school.. no way.. at 17 the prospects of having to put in the hours needed for that school were not very appealing.. :)

Jeff.

Hunterjbb
05-28-2004, 05:56
yep.. SSN698 - Fire control - 1981-1983.. Navy tried to get me to go to Nuke school.. no way.. at 17 the prospects of having to put in the hours needed for that school were not very appealing.. :)

Jeff.

PromptCritical
05-29-2004, 14:24
Its good to hear from another one.

As I am sure you were informed, the hours at nuke school were nothing compared to hours spent underway.

EUPHER49
05-29-2004, 16:15
E still does equal emm cee squared doesn't it???

PromptCritical
05-30-2004, 21:31
Originally posted by EUPHER49
E still does equal emm cee squared doesn't it???

Yep, last time I checked...

Why, have you been having problems keeping your reactor critical?;f

Six2Life
06-07-2004, 08:37
I was just wondering, does anybody here know when propane tank season opens up???

Sharkmeat
06-07-2004, 17:08
I served aboard the USS Arkansas (CGN-41) for five years. MM1, nine years total service. Now, disabled vet (40%), ex-postal worker ;9, working in the 'high-tech' field, and still don't know what I wanna be when I grow up ;g ...

;? -Sharkmeat

PromptCritical
06-07-2004, 22:40
Originally posted by Six2Life
I was just wondering, does anybody here know when propane tank season opens up???

Yep. Year-Round, No bag limit. Ya gotta be carefull though: If only wounded, they may violently attack until they bleed out. In some places this is dangerous game hunting.

PromptCritical
06-13-2004, 11:03
I am the S.N.O.B.

Carry on.

Smokin' Joe
07-06-2004, 23:15
Prompt,

We may have to discuss the SNOB title, shipmate. . . .

NCUrk
07-14-2004, 15:06
Bubbleheads...

Sheesh!!!

Just kidding. Worked with a bunch of great folks at Sub Base San Diego. Worked on Arco ARDM-5 89-92. Was silly enough to go out on a shake down once... You all can have it. I like the sun WAY to much:)
Did get 45 days restriction and 45 days extra duty once. Thanks to the nuke Navy... You know that 55 gallon drum that sits amidships when in dock? Well people get really irritated when you knock it over with a 2 1/2 inch water hose;Q Honest mistake really!!! (But I promise I will NEVER do that again!!!!)

PromptCritical
07-21-2004, 11:19
Smokin' Joe:

The SNOB will now be listening. Just got back from sea.

NCUrk:

Didn't the magenta and yellow label catch your eye? BTW My boat was in the Arco about two years ago.

96 days left...

Squid.HM2
07-21-2004, 15:11
Been on a few subs,but it was more fun to put a electric razor up to the underwater mic from one of the targets..um i mean surface ships, funny how much it sounds like a Mk 45 in the water

NCUrk
07-22-2004, 06:57
Originally posted by PromptCritical
Smokin' Joe:

The SNOB will now be listening. Just got back from sea.

NCUrk:

Didn't the magenta and yellow label catch your eye? BTW My boat was in the Arco about two years ago.

96 days left...

Ah yes the Megenta tape... Well when someone is trying to get you wet with a hydroblaster (A really REALLY BIG pressure washer) after a few feet it all turns into a big fog... cant see a thing!!! I didn't even know I knocked it over!!! But as I recall it was the quickest Captains Mast ever!!! I was In the wardroom in my dripping wet coveralls about five minutes later!!!! Hell the COB didn't even know it was happening!!!!!

HM2,
Thats Funny!!!!! may I ask what class you were in? Tried myself in 88 classes 159 & 164. 11 Stress Fx's and sent to the fleet.

PromptCritical
07-24-2004, 22:20
Hey, check your in box

jao
07-27-2004, 09:34
Originally posted by Chopperdog
Not a bubblehead, but I did fly in ASW aircraft.;)

Chopperdog, who were you with? I too flew ASW, P-3C's with VP-45 out of Jacksonville, FL. Good to know another airdale is here.

ICC(SS)
08-11-2004, 18:28
Uss Bremerton SSN698 2/83-8/86
TTF Bangor 9/86-2/90
USS Omaha SSN-692 2/90-4/93
CSS1 PMT 5/93-6-96
NRL 7/96-6/03 Retired

BinLurking
08-11-2004, 20:42
Originally posted by ICC(SS)
Uss Bremerton SSN698 2/83-8/86
TTF Bangor 9/86-2/90
USS Omaha SSN-692 2/90-4/93
CSS1 PMT 5/93-6-96
NRL 7/96-6/03 Retired Hey, remember August or September 1984 when your two boats became the "BREMERHA"?

ICC(SS)
08-12-2004, 04:24
Yes I do I was on the Helm. That day ruined a good EastPac.

FullClip
08-13-2004, 07:39
Casimir Pulaski SSBN633 Gold 77-80. MM2 A-ganger, NO!! Not a nuke flunk out!! I was stupid enough to volunteer for A-Gang!!;g ;g

Found out it's much better being on top of the water, Did 5 years Merchant after I got out of the navy. Sunshine is nice stuff.:)

IA Glocker
09-16-2004, 17:10
Nuke ET-2, went to Submarine NR-1 after prototype. Picked up for officer program, sent to Iowa State. Broke leg, nasty concussion, NPQ'd (not physically qualified) ended military career.

I finished school, and now I'm a mechanical engineer (Professionally licensed to practice in Iowa).

On a humerous note, Westinghouse called me just before graduation. They said that they saw my resume, noted the prior Nuke background and good grades, and wanted to know if I was interested in interviewing for the job as civilian instructor for a prototype. I laughed at them, told them they didn't have that kind of money.;n

Later, I talked with another engineer who accepted their job. I told him that the road ahead would be difficult. He said, "Hey, how hard could it be? It can't be worse than this." HAHAHAHAHAH

Subpusher
10-05-2004, 22:40
RCLPO on SSBN 734G currently
USS Pasadena 99-01
USS Boston decom crew 97-99
NR-1 Support complement 96-97

Smokin' Joe
11-04-2004, 11:14
Prompt,

Sorry I'm so late getting back to you. Lots of travelling (and I'm leaving again Saturday).

Enlisted 27 Jul 84. Great Lakes boot and ET A School, then picked up for ROTC. Went to Iowa State (hey, IA Glocker, when did you go?). USS Daniel Boone (Blue) Sep 91-Feb 94 (decom). USSTRATCOM Mar 94-Mar 96. USS Columbia (Navigator) Sep 96-Nov 99.

Since then, Pentagon (before and after the building was ventilated), Marine Corps War College and now Defense Threat Reduction Agency.

So, SNOB-wise, who of us is actually senior?

IA Glocker
11-12-2004, 12:43
Smokin' Joe:

I was at ISU NROTC from 92-95. Graduated Spring 97, but without the commission (see above). I now live about 10 miles south-west of Ames. We get to the football and basketball games frequently. I still keep in touch with a lot of the guys that went to ISU. Still see them on occasion.

One of my good friends from ISU went Marine, and was a defense contractor, calling on the Pentagon at the time of Ventillation. Know a guy named Burgos that fits the description? (O.K., maybe not. I hear the Pentagon holds a few people...)

PromptCritical
11-15-2004, 19:49
Well, Smokin'Joe,

The requirements for SNOB are as follows:

1. Nuclear Trained
2. Never reenlisted or extended
3. Next in line to get out of Navy

I imagine it is just a coincidence that one of our SNOBs was also Smokin' Joe.

Oh, and no Khaki's. Only Blue Shirts.

I guess I'm senior as I have been promoted to Civilian, First Class.

Seriously though, thanks for continuing to keep assessing those threats. Going for an XO tour? I gather that not being an ENG probably excludes you from command.

BinLurking
11-15-2004, 20:05
Well, Smokin'Joe,

Going for an XO tour? I gather that not being an ENG probably excludes you from command. You don't have to be an ENG as a Department Head to qualify for command. I know some submarine Admirals who never served as Engineers onboard nuclear submarines. Shore duty since 1999, NS/SS?

PromptCritical
11-21-2004, 17:12
Originally posted by BinLurking
You don't have to be an ENG as a Department Head to qualify for command. I know some submarine Admirals who never served as Engineers onboard nuclear submarines. Shore duty since 1999, NS/SS?

I know it's not a requirement. But it does seem to be the tradition. All three CO's I had were ENG's, two of the XO's were ENG's. I think it stems from the fact that, except for two weeks before a coner inspection, all anyone seems to care about is that damn reactor. As long as the Nukes were doing their job, it didn't matter that we couldn't drive the boat, maintain depth, or hit anything with a torpedo or missile. Damn, that Engineroom was clean though...
:soap:
[/rant off]

Just a little bitter.

AggiePhil
11-21-2004, 17:18
Man, it's like you guys are speaking some other language. LOL!
Originally posted by Hunterjbb
yep.. SSN698 - Fire control - 1981-1983.. Navy tried to get me to go to Nuke school.. no way...
So what kind of boat were you on instead? Diesel boat? Aren't all the subs in the US now nucular--I mean...nuclear? ;)

BinLurking
11-21-2004, 17:37
Originally posted by AggiePhil
So what kind of boat were you on instead? Diesel boat? Aren't all the subs in the US now nucular--I mean...nuclear? ;) Sorry, we can't confirm nor deny the answer to your question. Some boats are still running on "coal". ;f

henryj
11-22-2004, 20:17
Hi, all

MM1(ss) - 1971-1980

GLakes for boot and MM"A" school

Baibridge for Nuke, then S3G for MO and ELT

Then to a tender (AS-31) for two years in RadCon shop

640 (G) 1975-78

STF San Diego as a Submarine DC school instructor 1978-1980

Wandering comm. nuke consultant since then

Second generation bubblehead, dad was a BM1(ss) on 315 in WW2, and later plankowner/RC Div. chief on 593 (not a typo)

PromptCritical
11-22-2004, 20:59
Henryj

;?

To all those on Eternal Patrol.

henryj
11-22-2004, 21:15
PromptCritical,

Roscoe Pennington relieved him as RC Div. chief on 04/07/63. Dad retired shortly after 04/10/63, knowing he'd submitted a report on ASW soldered joints in the Engg. spaces a week before she went out. Went to work as a test engineer at Portsmouth annd developed a reputation as a VERY tough guy on test protocols. Once I qualified "SS", I wore his dolphins, now I'm saving them for my grandson (I hope, I hope).

I wonder if the kids at Sub School these days even know who Pennington Hall is named for.

Henry

geminicricket
11-22-2004, 21:20
Huh? A boomer weenie AND a coner? They'll let anyone on this board!;) Seriously, it's nice to know that I'm not the only bubblehead on this board.

The radiation hazard symbol in your avatar is found on a bunch of semiconductor chips produced by my employer. Up until about 4 years ago one of our most prolific layout designers was a former nuclear submariner, and he used that symbol as his personal logo on all chips he drew. For a few years we had another former submariner doing layout for us, and his logo was the crosshair view through a periscope.

Hunterjbb
11-24-2004, 18:52
Hey AggiePhil, yeah it was Nuclear, the reference was to the fact that I didn't Volunteer to go to the Nuclear Power school.. :)

Hey ICC(SS), when did you report onboard the Bremerton in 83? I left the boat in Guam in the middle of the Westpac..

Did you know Clemon Cager... IC man.. sad though i can't remember a lot of the names, Scanlon TM2 i think at the time, Larry was the FT first class after Shirey and I left. man.. Neely RM i think.. wow.. CRS..

Mr Zauper, Mr.Miller, was Veech there yet ?. I remember when Pasternack puked all over Mr.Z in Austraila.. that was a very interesting night on that trip from Groton to Pearl..

Jeff bucchin FTG1(ss).

Smokin' Joe
12-02-2004, 03:14
Prompt,

OK, you're the SNOB.

Won't be going back to sea for XO. Kind of dis-invited to the ball. Know what you mean about the Eng-CO interlock. Bupers swears up and down it's not true, even distribution, yada, yada, yada. Sure. That's why my Eng "lost the keys" within two months of reporting, yet HE got the Early Promote. And got to come back for XO. AND will probably get his own boat. Not that I'm bitter or anything. . .

IA Glocker, good to hear that you stayed in Iowa. Wish I could have. Right now, I'm hunkered down in Kazakhstan, saving their government from the ravages of the State Department.

cliffb
12-03-2004, 02:19
Came off the catwalk of USS Enterprise and saw a little bitty thing tied up next to us. It was the SSBN Lewis & Clark. It had just come out of refit for Posiden tubes. (long time ago) Some friends and I got a short tour. Made me glad I worked a flight deck.

My son just got out of the Navy earlier this year. He was an ET Nuke on the SSN Pasadena and SSBN Alabama. I laughed first time he told me there were subs and everything else was a target.

PromptCritical
12-03-2004, 20:07
Smokin' Joe,

You think your ENG was bad, How about my second CO. You may have heard about it.
First off, right after he takes command, he orders a drill that causes us to sink out to test depth like a brick. I'm glad we had a good section on watch for that one.
Second, he ordered a test that caused us to blow up the diesel (water really is non-compressible).
He finished up the hat trick when we hit a fishing boat.
He didn't get relieved. In fact, he was allowed to extend for a WestPac.
We called him "Teflon Timmy."

Just got my End-of-tour award in the mail. Admiral's letter.;Q

Deep Blue
12-10-2004, 15:32
Originally posted by BinLurking
Sorry, we can't confirm nor deny the answer to your question. Some boats are still running on "coal". ;f

;z ;z ;z ;z

IA Glocker
12-22-2004, 13:14
Smokin' Joe:

Life here in Iowa is great, wish you were here. Every day that I can come home, spend the evening with the family, and not have to worry about deployment/duty/next duty station, etc. etc. is GREAT. My thoughts are with those of you still in service. Someone has to keep the wolf away from the door.

Have you kept up on ISU football this year? Been quite a suprising season. We beat Nebraska and K-state. The Missouri game at the end was a hearbreaker.

Henry:

My last duty station on my little-bitty sub was an overhaul at Portsmouth Naval Shipyard. Overhauling a boat that was never meant to be overhauled was an interesting task. Glad I'm not there anymore.

All:

Speaking of engineers, the Eng on NR-1 during overhaul (1992) was LCDR Jeff Hughes. One of the finest officers I've ever met. He convinced me to put in for my officer's program, which pretty much changed my life forever. I figured that he was on track for Admiral. I know its not much to go on, but anyone ever hear of an officer meeting that description?

captyg76
01-14-2005, 13:13
SSN 639 as crewmember from '77-'79. SUBPAC staff from '89-'91 with rides on every Pearl boat. TRFKB '91-'93.

Eupher49 - when were you on Tautog?

Navy Captain (retiring 1 APR this year with 29+ active and about a year in the reserves)

G-17 & G-37 currently
ex G-22, 23, 21 and 26

NucSub
01-15-2005, 20:59
661 and 683 boats. Mdiv. On the boats 82-87.
661 now scrap, sail is in Springfield,MO
683 should decom shortly.

EUPHER49
01-15-2005, 21:11
...I was on Tautog from Mar73 to Dec73.

I was transferred from the 624 when she went to overhaul...Imagine my surprise when I reported to the Tog and saw the last several gallons of water being pumped from the drydock in Pearl. I was qualified RO but never took her critical.

MNGLOCK
01-21-2005, 22:52
Well I just wondered into this post. Between Henry Clay SSBN625 and Francis Scott Key SSBN657 I did 9 patrols. 1963 to 1970, 7 years to the day. Missle launch tech, but we were call Torpedomans Mates in those great days. Got to do double duty. The best years of my life, but boy was I happy when I got out. TM1(SS) Seems good to write that today.