Cost Of Hunting Clothing… [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Cost Of Hunting Clothing…

Michigun
05-20-2004, 08:57
Okay, who here has a more expensive coat for hunting then they have for a “going out on the town” coat or dress coat?

I just realized that my waterfowl coat cost me more then my nice leather coat did… I’m always cleaning, adding conditioner & protecting agents to the leather jacket & trying not to get it dirty, but I severally abuse my waterfowl coat that cost me a lot more while hunting in the worst conditions/environments… how much sense does that make? ;) Seems like it should be the other way around, don’t it?

I recently just placed an order for new deer/big game hunting clothing (Browning) to replace my old stuff… I easily ran up over $1,000 with just a matching coat, bibs, gloves & hat.

All that cash & I still need/want to replace my upland/rabbit hunting stuff this year… I also need a new pair of waders if I can’t find the nail hole(s) in the heal of one of my wader boots… there’s another $500+ bill… ;Q

f1b32oPTic
05-20-2004, 10:05
i bought my browning goretex quadra pile parka
12 years ago for $200 and i am still hunting in it today.

it has a full length goretex parka with a zip in down jacket. what a great piece of clothing there

this year i will be looking at bibs though and that looks to be about $150 for some insulated ones

i hunt in rubber knee boots which are still in decent shape

so yeah with the bib at $150 and propbably a new treestand at $250
im looking at $400 for the upcoming season.

count in a new shotgun i picked up earlier this year and my sportsmans license, this season will be in the $1000 range.

noway
05-20-2004, 14:58
clothes.....

That's one area since moving back to FL that hasn't gotten to pricey for me. At the current time, boots are the most expense item in my hunting clothes arena. I might be called cheap, but the simple camo shirt match with poppers utility pants is about the extreme in my hunting gear top with mosquito proof shirt and head screen. ;)

I've probably spent more money in bug repellant last year they anything else.
:(

Michigun
05-20-2004, 18:28
Yeah noway, I have to have that stuff as well... early bow season can still have some warm days. If it’s 45+ I have on the T-shirt.

I also need the in-between stuff for deer... gotta figure in turkey hunting cloths too...

anomad
05-20-2004, 18:47
What about those guys that hunt with regular blue jeans and an old flanel shirt? Does a pair of 500 dollar waders really outlast or out perform 5 pairs of 100 dollar waders? Is it a matter of economics or comfort or perhaps having the best equipment?

To compare with say, sea kayaking which I know something about, you can buy a 900 dollar gore tex drysuit and be happy as a clam under any weather conditions. But, you can spend about 250 on a farmer john wetsuit and a dry top and still be pretty darn happy under any weather conditions. To some people its worth buying the dry suit so when they get out of the tent on a frosty morning they don't have to climb into a frozen wetsuit just to thaw it out.

Michigun
05-21-2004, 06:30
Originally posted by anomad
Is it a matter of economics or comfort or perhaps having the best equipment?

I know I'm not into the "name" on my hunting cloths, I just know what I want/need them to do.

If I only hunted opening weekend of duck season I’m betting a $100 pair of waders would work fine… however, I hunt till the very last day which requires breaking ice to sit out the decoys & standing in water temperatures that have been able to kill for a weeks. Never seen a pair of waders with 2,000 grams of insulate for $100! ;) (Know what I mean?)

As always, your level of ‘enthusiasm’ will generally dictate what you’ll need/want. (Geographical location/time of year dictates too.) I don’t go nuts on my upland clothing because I really don’t do that much of it… not enough birds here in Michigan to make it the priority for me. (If I lived in South Dakota however, that would be a different story for sure. ;))

I haven’t really seen anything hunting cloths wise that wasn’t a case of “you get what you pay for”.

Tommy Gun
05-22-2004, 17:51
I got some cold weather gear for christmass that costs about $750.00. Parka, bib, boots, gloves, sox & snow cammo outfit. Big bucks for me.... Hope it lasts......

striderglock
05-24-2004, 00:11
One of the reasons I'm focusing on fishing and guns, hunting is too damn expsensive!

Michigun
05-24-2004, 05:43
Originally posted by striderglock
One of the reasons I'm focusing on fishing and guns, hunting is too damn expsensive!

Ha, using that same logic that's one of the main reasons I don't really get into fishing! ;)

(I do fish, but it's only when it's convenient for me & I don't have to bring anything but a fishing license!)

Oracle
05-25-2004, 12:55
I live and hunt in GA, and have much the same situation as noway, I just put on the standard cammie jammies and head out, if it's cold I wear some polypro longjohns beneath them.

noway
05-25-2004, 13:13
Michigun a few words of suggestion, if you want cheap hunting clothes per season move. Your more than welcome to come to Florida.

You might have to re-name yourself Florigun. ;f

Michigun
05-26-2004, 06:44
Originally posted by noway
Your more than welcome to come to Florida.

Thanks for the invite! However, I think I’ll stick with Michigan for now, even with its high hunting clothing costs. This state would be just about perfect if we could only get the liberals to move out. ^c

Originally posted by noway
You might have to re-name yourself Florigun. ;f

Florigun just doesn’t seem to work out that entire well… it’s missing that ‘ring’ to it & don’t seem to flow very well… most importantly, it sounds a little too feminine! ;)