luckiest person on earth [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : luckiest person on earth

Bill Powell
05-23-2004, 08:31
i worked with a guy in san antonio, tx, who flew B-24 liberators in WW11, including 26 raids over ploesti. he said one day he was flying second stick, with the squadron leader up to his left. an 88 flak round must have exsploded in the bomb bay of the squadron leader's plane, cause it suddenly turned into a cloud of confetti. the engine blocks were about the only thing that didn't flutter to the ground. of course, my co-worker was grief stricken at the loss of his friend, the pilot, til he got post card from him from a prison camp.

the pilot said when he came to he was part of the debri. the rest of the crew was turned to dust. he thinks the skin and airframe came apart just as the main shock wave hit the back of his seat armor, and fired him out of there like a cannon ball. when he hit the ground he saw germans running at him from one direction, and rumanians from the other, he moved to the germans, cause the local farmers hated anything that fell from the sky.

CarlosDJackal
05-23-2004, 21:21
;P

spetsnaz777
05-24-2004, 01:53
Dang! Ploesti supplied most of the German war machines oil. My grandfather told me after that they had no benzene for any of their vehicles;P

RussP
05-24-2004, 07:33
Originally posted by Bill Powell
i worked with a guy in san antonio, tx, who flew B-24 liberators in WW11, including 26 raids over ploesti. he said one day he was flying second stick, with the squadron leader up to his left. an 88 flak round must have exsploded in the bomb bay of the squadron leader's plane, cause it suddenly turned into a cloud of confetti. the engine blocks were about the only thing that didn't flutter to the ground. of course, my co-worker was grief stricken at the loss of his friend, the pilot, til he got post card from him from a prison camp.

the pilot said when he came to he was part of the debri. the rest of the crew was turned to dust. he thinks the skin and airframe came apart just as the main shock wave hit the back of his seat armor, and fired him out of there like a cannon ball. when he hit the ground he saw germans running at him from one direction, and rumanians from the other, he moved to the germans, cause the local farmers hated anything that fell from the sky. Okay, let me get this straight. B-24 takes a big one in the belly; plane becomes confetti; pilot takes "main shock wave hit the back of his seat armor, and fired him out of there like a cannon ball; comes to, chooses sides and "moved to the germans?

I know the planes I flew in with seat-ejection systems opened the chute for me. Those I had to crawl out of would require manual opening of the chute.

You don't mention anything about him separating from the seat, releasing the chute, or did he just ride the seat down and was lucky enough to hit a huge cow-pie to soften his landing?;f

Bill Powell
05-24-2004, 07:48
you know russp, you could be a genuine ass if you put your mind to it. i was simply recounting a story by an ex bomber pilot who had no reason on earth to con me. when the guy woke up are the key words. a concious person can seperate himself from his seat.

let me give you a chance to really ridicule me. viet nam, a guy had an F-4 phantom shot out from under him at about thirty thousand feet, fell to the ocean with no parachute, and lived. look it up bubba, it's public record somewhere. it may not have been a phantom, but it was a fighter, or bomber, or a really high flying helicopter.

RussP
05-24-2004, 10:37
you know russp, you could be a genuine ass if you put your mind to it. i was simply recounting a story by an ex bomber pilot who had no reason on earth to con me. when the guy woke up are the key words. a concious person can seperate himself from his seat.

let me give you a chance to really ridicule me. viet nam, a guy had an F-4 phantom shot out from under him at about thirty thousand feet, fell to the ocean with no parachute, and lived. look it up bubba, it's public record somewhere. it may not have been a phantom, but it was a fighter, or bomber, or a really high flying helicopter. My name isn't bubba, there's neither the intent nor desire to ridicule you, and if you believe I'm a "genuine ass, hey, you're entitled to an opinion.

My question was genuine: Was he able to deploy his chute, or did he ride the seat down, and if he did, what broke his fall? If you want to be offended by the questions, go right ahead.

And, no, I do not know the story of the pilot surviving a free-fall of 30,000 feet. I'm certain a number of us would love to read about it if you can find it for us.:)

Bill Powell
05-24-2004, 14:04
russp, you know what? it was early, i was tired, and i used the cow pie bit to set the mood for your answer. i apologize my share. the key words were still, when he woke up, he was part of the debri. he was not unscathed, for he could very well have died the death of a thousand cuts. none of his injuries were serious, but there were a lot of them. after he was in the prison, he was able to send his red cross post card. they don't know what caused the explosion, they just knew the bomb load exploded, and just speculated 88 round in the bomb bay. he did show me his unit history book, and it referred to it.

as for the viet nam guy, i read about it in reader's digest, i think, and he was interviewed on some TV show. it was thirty years ago, but i think i could dig it back up. anyway, he said as he was falling this TV show invaded his mind. he finally realized it was wide world of sports, and he finally identified the show as cliff divers, in mexico. he remembered that they were traveling terminal velocity when they hit the water. so, before he hit the water he assumed the position, not very well, cause he got some broken bones out of the deal.

on a different note. how do you do those quotes? if i want to quote someone, i have to re-type every thing they said. in my defense, i had just had an encounter with some beaurocrat, and i was not in a good mood. everyone is bubba, and i won't apologize about that. i like bubba on anyone but me, or someone that i would have to address as bubba, face to face.

RussP
05-24-2004, 15:04
russp, you know what? it was early, i was tired, and i used the cow pie bit to set the mood for your answer. i apologize my share.Me, too.on a different note. how do you do those quotes? Lower right corner of the post has two buttons, http://glocktalk.com/images/edit.gif http://glocktalk.com/images/quote.gif. Just click on the "QUOTE" button.the key words were still, when he woke up, he was part of the debri. he was not unscathed, for he could very well have died the death of a thousand cuts. none of his injuries were serious, but there were a lot of them. after he was in the prison, he was able to send his red cross post card. they don't know what caused the explosion, they just knew the bomb load exploded, and just speculated 88 round in the bomb bay. he did show me his unit history book, and it referred to it.With that part of the story added, it makes him one of the VERY lucky airmen back then...

as for the viet nam guy, i read about it in reader's digest, i think, and he was interviewed on some TV show. it was thirty years ago, but i think i could dig it back up. anyway, he said as he was falling this TV show invaded his mind. he finally realized it was wide world of sports, and he finally identified the show as cliff divers, in mexico. he remembered that they were traveling terminal velocity when they hit the water. so, before he hit the water he assumed the position, not very well, cause he got some broken bones out of the deal.Okay, that sounds a little familiar...
in my defense, i had just had an encounter with some beaurocrat, and i was not in a good mood. everyone is bubba, and i won't apologize about that. i like bubba on anyone but me, or someone that i would have to address as bubba, face to face. You a Nash Bridges fan? That was his favorite name for BGs.

Hell, then I had good reason to get a bit bent outta shape, I mean you called me an ass and bubba in the same post!;f

Next time you disagree with me, split the name calling into different posts, okay!!;f ;f

Take care of yourself...;?

Bill Powell
05-24-2004, 18:10
works for me, russp....................bill

tgtshuter
05-24-2004, 18:39
Way to go guys!! ^c

You turned a potential flame war into mutual apologies, and came out of out this thread on a positive note. ;Y
How refreshing!

We need more of this on the forums.