Do you eat Large Mouth Bass? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Do you eat Large Mouth Bass?

lazarus
05-24-2004, 07:02
Yesterday, while fishing for Blue Gills at the lake with my fly rod (see the earlier thread on the subject), I caught my first Large Mouth.

There were probably 10 people fishing with spinning rods in the immediate area when I got out of the car. Several of them looked at me askance as I assembled the reel to my rod and snaked the leader through the guides. I tied on a black popper, and walked over to the bank.

Nothing on my first cast, then on my second, as soon as the bug hit the water, BAM! I knew immediately that whatever I had hooked wasn't a Blue Gill. I've been catching a lot of them lately, and this fish put up substantially more fight. I beached him, and immediately recognized the characteristic gaping maw from the many fishing shows I have seen.

The one I landed was about 8-9" long. I didn't have a scale, but I released from TV that it was on the small side as Large Mouths go.

I wasn't sure about the size limits for Bass, and I also still don't know if they are good to eat, so I released the fish. I drew quite the reaction from the others present, who all wanted to know what kind of lure I was using. This was exacerbated since I caught six Blue Gills in the next hour, and nobody else caught anything.

So,I have a conclusion, and a question:

Conclusion: Fly fishing rocks. It is better than crack.

Question: Are Large Mouth Bass good to eat? Should I eat them or release them to fight another day?

noway
05-24-2004, 07:38
yes and no

Once in a blue moon. I only skin the fish if it is 12" or longer and the fillet would net me .5" per or larger per side. 8"-9" is kinda small in my opinion. Normally my general rule is if the fish is not as large as my shoe it goes back. If it is over 6lbs it is normally eaten, but the smaller fish do have some what of a better flavor. If it is gut hook, then I flip a coin and if I feel like it , regardles of size it goes home or sometime I cut the string & release him and hope he lives.

"Bass is good but I perfer other fish 1st over bass" i.e ...... specks, myan cichild,catfish,etc......

nickE10mm
05-25-2004, 16:10
Largemouth bass are GREAT to eat man! ENJOY!

uncowboy
05-25-2004, 18:36
YES and I will tell you how. I mix pancake batter substuting Beer for water in the batter. Put lemon pepper on the fish, Dip in the batter and cook in hot oil, Dry on paper towls and have a large sidearm nearby to fight off fish theives.

Dogbite
05-25-2004, 19:20
Large mouth bass are very very good to eat!!!! Yum Yum...^c I went fishing today,and found a bluegill honey hole--i had everything in the world except my fishing pliers!!! Caught 4 but got upset at my self because it was so hard to reach down in them and get my hook out every time...Im going back there with my needlenose--im going for the 3 pound bluegill!!!;a I could have caught a crazy amount..got to be a 3 pounder in there somewhere...

nickE10mm
05-25-2004, 19:23
Batter is 1.3 parts yellow cornmean and 1 part flour. Mix in a baggie and drop in your largemouth fillets. Shake. Drop the powdered morsels into the frying pan with some oil and ENJOY!

and DITTO on the large sidearm. if you don't believe me, check in the newspapers - fish crime is up.

mzenzer
05-25-2004, 21:58
BASS! Yum! Largemouth is the sweetest white meat around. Very high quality fish and a blast to catch. Specs will practically jump in the boat around here, but you got to have a little skill to catch bass.

noway
05-25-2004, 22:20
I go with nicke10mm. 1 part corn maize with 1part flour and pepper. Dip fillet in mixture shake all around and remove excess and fry to a golden brown outside.

Serve with steak fries and a good beer like "Bass Ale" ( pun intended ).

firminw
05-25-2004, 23:29
Hushpuppies, not a single person mentioned hushpuppies. It's a criminal offense in some areas to eat fish without hushpuppies. Besides what do you do with your coating when all the fish is in the pan, throw it away? You guys are just too darn wasteful.

mrdoright04/05
05-26-2004, 17:38
Some people do, I dont.

duncan
05-26-2004, 22:14
Originally posted by nickE10mm
Largemouth bass are GREAT to eat man! ENJOY!

Yes they are!

FThorn
05-27-2004, 05:59
The pond in our backyard is so stocked with stuff that my son's first time to fish (he was 5) he caught 6 Bluegill in about 40 minutes. I netted about 7 goldfish (yes, GOLDfish) and catfish in one 'scoop' by throwing bread on the pond and just raising the net. We have smallmouth bass, too. And the best way to hook them is get a bluegill (takes about 30 seconds) and then hook them through the top of the back; throw them back in. They flitter across the top of the pond and the usually uninterested smallmouth land on those guys faster than snot. Trick is you have to have a large enough hook to go through the smallmouth's mouth. Usually not too hard, though. Our fish follow us as we walk the along the edge of the pond, too. Oh, and we've had our mallards actually walk into our back door to beg/eat for food. They actually knock/peck on the back door!

micah
06-02-2004, 08:21
I ouwld call bass edible. I would prefer just about anything over them though. Bluegill, Perch, Waleye or Crappie vs bass in the frying pan is a no brainer.

Glock17boy
06-03-2004, 18:58
Bass are really good to eat. Serve them up the same as any other fish but i'd skin it first. When i'm visiting my grandpa down in Mississippi that just pbout all we eat. :cool:

okie
06-22-2004, 12:02
If they are leagle size, you bet your ass I do;f

RugerFan58
06-22-2004, 15:41
Originally posted by nickE10mm
Largemouth bass are GREAT to eat man! ENJOY! They sure do taste great. Up here in New England you should only eat a certain amount per month because of the mercury content. Maine,NH and Ma all write about it in their rules and regulation books you get when you buy your license. Small Mouth Bass taste great as well. Enjoy.;c

BobRicks
06-22-2004, 21:09
Bass are OK to eat, but I prefer a batch of freshly caught crappie any day over bass!

striderglock
06-22-2004, 23:34
Originally posted by BobRicks
Bass are OK to eat, but I prefer a batch of freshly caught crappie any day over bass! You got that right. Crappie is the whitest tastiest fish I've ever had. Far better than catfish, which alot of people consider the best eating.

Tennessee Slim
06-25-2004, 17:50
Largemouth! Yum-yum, eatem up!

This recipe -- one of my most cherished -- is for hushpuppies to eat with beans 'n rice; you might want to eliminate the jalapenos and the cayenne for bass.

Hushpuppies a la Justin Wilson

INGREDIENTS:
1 C corn meal 1/2 C flour, plain, sifted
1 1/2 tsp salt 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp cayene pepper 1/2 C whole kernel corn
1/2 C buttermilk 2 eggs
onion, diced jalapeno peppers, chopped
2 Tbsp oil

Combine corn meal, flour and salt. Fold together. Add baking soda and baking powder. Fold again. Add garlic powder and cayene pepper. Fold together once again. Combine buttermilk, oil and eggs, whisk together. Fold into mixture. Add onion and jalapenos to suit your own bent for self-destruction. Deep fry in 375 degree oil until brown. If necessary (they'll usually roll over on their own), turn to cook both sides.

SouthernGal
07-06-2004, 13:46
Originally posted by lazarus
Question: Are Large Mouth Bass good to eat? Should I eat them or release them to fight another day?

You must be kidding!!!

If they met the pound requirement to keep and you can get a good filet off them, eat them.

Large Mouth Bass is the MS state fish and are some terrific eating--especially fried.

shrpshtr
07-08-2004, 07:25
Bass are great eating fish. and a blast to catch. in SC, they have to be 12" to keep. but that is about the smallest you want to try and take a filet off of. they are also great baked/grilled with some lemon pepper and italian dressing.

firminw is right, you HAVE to have some hush puppies with any type seafood.

btw, as good as bass are, they aren't the best. now bream, there isn't a better "pan" fish swimming in any body of water....hmmmm.

sharpshooter
07-09-2004, 09:19
I'd rather spend my time catching, rather than cooking. I've caught literally hundreds of large mouth bass in the last two weeks on two day trips to the same lake. I've been fishing this lake every summer for about 10 years and I know what works.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid124/p17c19d4e18d532ac2652221b8b9e9900/f80e3df8.jpg
Most of them were under 12" or thereabouts. There were some big ones too. We caught them mostly on this home-made rig I invented:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid127/p9927257d2b02a90c1efa7a80d2df38f8/f7eba717.jpg
It's a little less than half of a natural colored plastic worm with the tail end split in two. We used a #6 or #4 hook and a couple of beads on 4lb line and ultra-lite rods. It has nuetral boyancy, the extra beads add weight for casting, but still allows the lure to be flexable so it easily fits into a med-small fish's mouth. Cast into the shallows, and pretend it's a small popper. Tug... Tug... pause... Tug-WHAM! Or troll with it, we "trolled" using our $10 rubber rafts, but we never got more than 3-4 rows with the paddles before we caught fish.

But we also caught them on just about anything we threw in the water. Some lures took more casts to catch something. Others got bites on nearly ever cast! No lies! Small spinners didn't work very well. Flies didn't either. Spinner baits didn't work too good, and neither did the diving plugs. Black worms on the bottom did VERY well, as did this generic WalMart rubber thing. I caught probably 30 med-size bass from one particular stationary position using this lure. It looks kinda like a tiny catfish with a squigly tail and a weighted "jig" hook.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid127/pce841252eb47014e2a72b0a87f1dab6c/f7eba71c.jpg
The big bass usually require different stuff, although they do bite plastic worms now and then. For fast and furious action, catch a bunch of small bass in an area with deep water, best if done near cliffs that drop into deep water. Bass like the commotion of other fish on the line and will congregate near the action. When there's a bunch swiming around down there, pull out your bucket of bluegills and use them as live bait. Don't use the tiny ones or you'll catch tiny bass. Use a bluegill that is the size of a 3x5 card or slightly smaller. That way only the BIG bass can swallow it, and you'll only catch BIG fish. Trust me, it works! This particular lake doesn't have HUGE fish, just big ones... They don't get much bigger than this... By the way, I'm 6-05 and 275 for size reference.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid124/p05929005e783d27b7578e1b9347e15d3/f80e3df7.jpg
How do you catch bluegills? Easy. Stick a small strand of raw bacon (yuck) on a #18 trebble hook. It must be bacon, not ham or hot dogs... bacon works very well because the small strands of fat hang off the real meat and make it look like something alive in the water. Put a split shot about 4 inches above it. Now go find a rocky area in shallow water. Bingo! Lower your bacon into the crevaces between the rocks, and be ready. Usually you can see the bluegill if you approach quietly, and you can catch one on every try if you put the bait in front of their face. They can't resist!

This small lake is near Truckee, CA. If you'd like more info, PM me. I may be willing to trade secret fishing hole locations with you...

mudfootball
07-11-2004, 21:48
not a fan of bass eatin.
Sharpshooter, sorry to see you living the tough life, man that looks very relaxing, and as for fish theives, heres a story. Last year i was fishing on a stretch of river, nobody was catching them except me and my mom couldnt get another minnow on fast enough, before another trout grabbed on, well these two kids about my age (21) were around, amazed at how no one else was catching except us, well i hooked a monster on 2lb test and a 1/64 oz jig, well as i was trying to land this monster one of the punks bent down picked up my creel and hauled ass, did i feel the need for a heavy peice, no, just pissed about losing the creel, with the number i catch in a year, i would have gave him the fish.
kt

hy5z
07-11-2004, 21:58
I've never fished bass but this thread has certainly got my mouth watering for a freshly caught and grilled rainbow trout.

*drool*

higbean
07-12-2004, 22:08
I would agree! Some fried bass, hushpuppies, coleslaw and sweet tea. Does it get any better?

bemmott
07-20-2004, 19:00
Never ate a bass - never will. I strictly abide by "catch and release" principals so the bass fishery will be there for my son and hopefully grandsons. Lots of other more plentiful fish to eat - like crappie - with an almost inexaustible supply available than to eat the mighty largemouth.

You guys in the south with great bass fisheries ought to sample what we have in more northern states sometime ... maybe you'd not be so quick to fry up those bigmouths!

"CATCH AND RELEASE"

younggenious
07-25-2004, 01:30
After reading some talk about bluegills, I have to say that the best fish I've ever had was some bluegills from my grandpa's pond with some homemade tarter sauce my grandma made. We just got worms from near the pond, but them on a little hook, and walla, a blue gill within 15 seconds.

mzenzer
07-25-2004, 12:43
Originally posted by bemmott
Never ate a bass - never will. I strictly abide by "catch and release" principals so the bass fishery will be there for my son and hopefully grandsons. Lots of other more plentiful fish to eat - like crappie - with an almost inexaustible supply available than to eat the mighty largemouth.

You guys in the south with great bass fisheries ought to sample what we have in more northern states sometime ... maybe you'd not be so quick to fry up those bigmouths!

"CATCH AND RELEASE"

That may have been the case at one time, but bass are well stocked here and although catch and release is indeed practiced, Wildlife and Fisheries actually recommend keeping your limit. It helps diversify the supply. They especially like you to keep the lunkers because it gives the smaller fish a chance to move up.

We manage our bass just fine down here in the south, thank you very much.

noway
07-25-2004, 22:34
Also the high mercury levels was big problems in "ALL" fish and not just bass, so I'm not sure what you problem or point that you where trying to make with "You guys in the south with great bass fisheries ought to sample what we have in more northern states sometime ... maybe you'd not be so quick to fry up those bigmouths!" Best is good but quite overrated IMHO. Crappie, and most fishs in the sunfish family are good eaters.

I read a dietary review and LG-bass was consider more healthier than a few other fish including bottom feading catfish.

Tvov
07-31-2004, 07:37
Originally posted by bemmott
Never ate a bass - never will. I strictly abide by "catch and release" principals so the bass fishery will be there for my son and hopefully grandsons.

In CT there is no shortage of bass. Many lakes have regs just to diversify the supply and keep fish healthy, as mentioned earlier. There are a heck of a lot more regs regarding trout than bass.

I'm a big fish eater. I'll eat virtually anything that lives in water!

wannacmyglock
08-03-2004, 18:56
Originally posted by mzenzer
They especially like you to keep the lunkers because it gives the smaller fish a chance to move up.

I'm going to have to disagree, along with many other B.A.S.S. members. Its best to keep the lunkers in the lake to ensure good quality DNA is plentiful for the next spawn.

ALLAN
08-03-2004, 21:32
Originally posted by mzenzer
Wildlife and Fisheries actually recommend keeping your limit. It helps diversify the supply. They especially like you to keep the lunkers because it gives the smaller fish a chance to move up.

We manage our bass just fine down here in the south, thank you very much.

Thats not the case here in Texas. The big ones go to TP&W in Athens to breed in the superior genes then they take them back to the lake they were caught which is usually Fork.

I have seen fights at Fork over out of state people cleaning 10 lb plus fish.