deer hunters... ever see one of these? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : deer hunters... ever see one of these?

rfb45colt
05-24-2004, 10:18
Even more rare than an albino, is a "melanistic" whitetail. I've never even heard of one these, until a friend sent me this pic. This is an awesome looking deer. :)

attempts to post pic unsuccessful, and have been deleted

rfb45colt
05-24-2004, 10:24
Hmmm.... can't get the link to work. It's an all black (and I do mean BLACK) whitetail buck.

pfrigm
05-24-2004, 10:39
You are trying to link to an image on your hard drive... how about pointing the link to the web site where you found it since we can't see files on your hard drive (and shouldn't, by the way:))

rfb45colt
05-24-2004, 10:44
Originally posted by pfrigm
You are trying to link to an image on your hard drive... how about pointing the link to the web site where you found it since we can't see files on your hard drive (and shouldn't, by the way:))

I got the pic as an e-mail attachment. Being totally computer illiterate (I only know where the on-off button is:(), I don't have the foggiest idea as to how to post it here.... but I deleted my previous attempts. I tried posting it as an attachment, that didn't work either.

It's a pic of a mature 8pt whitetail buck, harvested by a hunter in MI... the deer is totally black, except for the underside of it's tail.

sarge
05-24-2004, 18:00
Send it to me, I'll post it for you.

glock23c at hotmail dot com

RJ Schuknecht
05-24-2004, 18:18
Lets see if this works.

http://www.hunt101.com/img/119816.jpg

rfb45colt
05-25-2004, 08:10
Thanks RJ, that's the one.

RJ Schuknecht
05-25-2004, 16:24
According to retired Michigan DNR deer researcher John Ozoga, melanism is more rare than an albino. I have never seen either abnormality myself.

Dogbite
05-25-2004, 19:26
I have never seen that color phase.

Historian
05-25-2004, 19:27
I've never seen such a thing. Amazing. Hope it passed it's line on so others may arrive.

I've never seen such an awsome looking deer. Almost spooky.

Bowser
05-26-2004, 04:08
Monster rack on that skunk!

onemilmhz
05-28-2004, 22:20
That thing is beautiful. What a great rack for such a rare deer. We have had stories of a fabled Piebald deer on our hunting farm for as long as I've been around. (Not quite albino but has lots of white patches.) The last hunter to "see" it claimed he didn't know what it was so he didn't shoot at it. I don't know if he's still out there but the stories are good!

Walter45Auto
05-29-2004, 18:33
I've seen a doe that was black once, and a couple in the same herd that were dark dark brown, but it was on another guy's property and in a Buck only county. We bagged those does with the video camera though.

;g

Walter45Auto
05-29-2004, 18:37
Originally posted by onemilmhz
That thing is beautiful. What a great rack for such a rare deer. We have had stories of a fabled Piebald deer on our hunting farm for as long as I've been around. (Not quite albino but has lots of white patches.) The last hunter to "see" it claimed he didn't know what it was so he didn't shoot at it. I don't know if he's still out there but the stories are good!

My uncle shot a piebald last time i went to visit him. It was a young doe. I looked ant it. Went back in the house, and said "Tim, If that sucker didn't have hooves I'd swear you shot somebody's dog!!!" It' looked about like a dalmatian. He traded it for another deer to a friend of his who was gonna get it mounted.

;g

Big Time
05-29-2004, 19:04
Looks like bad genes somewhere along the line.

TScottW99
06-04-2004, 23:30
Originally posted by Big Time
Looks like bad genes somewhere along the line.

actually it's just a genetic fluke. All animals can have a differn't color phase. I reallly like the melanistic in deer and squirrels and the red phase in turkeys. Now to just get one of each ;f

Vulcanese
06-15-2004, 19:09
Originally posted by TScottW99
I reallly like the melanistic in deer and squirrels

Does this make the squirrels black?

TScottW99
06-15-2004, 19:43
Yes. I have seen black grey squirrels, fox squirrels and chipmunks. Seems like every time I see a black/melanistic squirrel I have a deer rifle with me and not a shotgun :( :)

jtshombre
06-26-2004, 20:18
That is an awesome looking deer, I've killed a truck load, but have never seen anything like that. In Montana we've got both mulies and whitetails, and have never seen a color phase like that. I hope you had the hide tanned, or had it mounted, it would look awesome on the wall. Congrats on a nice deer,