anybody have "indoor-range lung"? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : anybody have "indoor-range lung"?

antediluvianist
05-27-2004, 01:29
Have been to Northstar (indoor range in Makati Cinema Square- basement)twice this week. Both times developed itchy lung, coughing, black stains in handkerchief after blowing my nose (ecch, sorry!)
Well, clearly those symptoms come from breathing the air inside that basement range. Must be some lead in there too.

Do you guys experience these "symptoms" when you have sessions in indoor ranges? One shooter-friend of mine says it happens to him when he shoots at outdoor ranges too but I didn't experience "black nose hair" when shooting outdoors.

This is really getting to me. Honestly next time I may have to use one of those disposable masks that medical personnel use.

You guys who have been shooting for years in indoor ranges, have you noticed any ill effects?

Hermo Gut
05-27-2004, 03:33
Both times developed itchy lung, coughing, black stains in handkerchief after blowing my nose (ecch, sorry!)

Welcome to the indoor Emphysema range club Ante.That's only the beginning , wait until you experience difficulty in breathing. ;f;f;f Outdoor range is lot more fun.;)

GlockST
05-27-2004, 03:56
i experienced that ages ago in Jethro's indoor range. its like having goo on my throat even after just firing about a 100 rounds. Even here in california, I hated inddor ranges. i prefer the outdoors like Hermo. Well, of course there are some indoor sports that i like.;Q

FThorn
05-27-2004, 05:41
So, what is this from? Powder smoke? Are there dangers from lead dust poisoning?

On another note, working in a foundry is no fun. That's when I took to snorting in water while showering and blowing out black snot. You could do this for hours. That's even when one used face mask filters all day in the black (sand) dust laden work environment. I wonder why my dad has lung cancer?

9MX
05-27-2004, 06:52
Originally posted by FThorn
So, what is this from? Powder smoke? Are there dangers from lead dust poisoning?

On another note, working in a foundry is no fun. That's when I took to snorting in water while showering and blowing out black snot. You could do this for hours. That's even when one used face mask filters all day in the black (sand) dust laden work environment. I wonder why my dad has lung cancer?

in all probability, from powder smoke.

TacticalShot
05-27-2004, 09:48
For the last 2 years I've been a member of a club that has a 24-hour indoor range. Very convenient. It has pretty good ventilation (at least I hear the exhaust device doing its thing when I switch it on).

However, last week I developed a severe cough which was diagnosed 2 days ago as bronchitis (am still on antibiotics now, but feeling much better). I Googled the cause of this and it said that although it's a bacterial thing, the main cause is bronchial tubes irritation due to smoke (mainly cigarette smoke, for a smoker) or chemicals and other irritants in the air. Oh, man!

Now I may have to wear a mask when shooting indoors or just use the outdoor ones. The problem with the outdoors ones is that they can only be used from 12pm-8pm. This leaves a smaller window to shoot during weeknights. In the Northeast, after summer, 6pm is already dark. And the outdoor range is open only 7 months in the year. Maybe I can find an indoor mask that's not too goofy.

mc_oliver
08-19-2004, 23:07
For indoor range shooters concerned with elevated lead levels, the article below is a good read. ;)

Lead in the blood (http://www.utexas.edu/safety/ehs/msds/lead.html)

get2now
08-19-2004, 23:51
Next time you go to a doctor tell them you want your blood lead level checked.
A friend of mine had high levels and had to quit shooting (even outdoors) for several years. He was in his sixties so it may have been more severe but it's worth getting checked out if you do a lot of indoor shooting.
I'm told the only "real" effective mask is one which will certainly be funny looking, but if you want to shoot then that's your option.
Good luck.

jundeleon
08-20-2004, 08:00
The jethro/westpoint indoor range in Makati Cinema Square is I think better than the Northstar facility.
I went there last week and I noticed that the dividers were equipped with air holes blowing a steady stream of air away from the area where the gun would be during live firing. The AC is strong and lighting is good.
After about 150 rounds, wala naman amoy gunpowder in my nose and throat.
Sa Northstar, pag putok mo dun, talaga lasa pulbura throat mo and you can smell lead in your nose for a few hours.

Lead poisoning can result in impotence. that's why after I shoot indoors, takbo ako agad sa massage parlor to double check everything.

antediluvianist
08-20-2004, 09:19
Jundeleon ... Aha, well, I'll have to check out the Jethro range. Thanks for the description of that place.

As for lead making a person impotent, oh **** why didn't they tell me?

FThorn
08-20-2004, 09:36
working in a foundry, it's amazing that even with the best respirators, you can come home, take a shower and be blowing black dust out your nose for hours.

is it any wonder my dad just had lung cancer? (after 23 years of exposure)

mc_oliver
08-20-2004, 19:59
Originally posted by jundeleon
Lead poisoning can result in impotence. that's why after I shoot indoors, takbo ako agad sa massage parlor to double check everything.
Uy, where is that located dre? Need to do some double checking din. ;f;f;z

julianz
08-21-2004, 07:43
cant find anything in PI side state side meron
happy reading http://www.mass.gov/dos/leaddocs/Lead-firing.htm

antediluvianist
08-30-2004, 03:42
I suggest everybody read the article posted by Julianz above.

I have bought a few disposable face masks. I don't care what they say at Northstar. (I wonder if those poor gunrange guys have any health insurance.)

Gentlemen, is the Jethro gun range at the basement of Makati Cinema Square open? Last I heard it was not - something about they hadn't been able to get the necessary permits from the PNP. Anybody know for sure? Anyway, I'll drop by Jethro next time I go to Northstar, it's just down the corridor on the same floor (basement of Makati Cinema Square).

jmy
09-03-2004, 06:06
[QUOTE]Originally posted by antediluvianist
[B]Jundeleon ... Aha, well, I'll have to check out the Jethro range. Thanks for the description of that place.

I don't know how true is this but I heard from some friends of mine that at the Jethro indoor firing range that their backstop has a tendency to ricochet your bullets back to you.I haven't been there yet so I'm not so sure of this.

]

jundeleon
09-03-2004, 06:46
The backstop consists of steel sheets angled about 45 degrees vertical that directs the bullet downward to a sand trap. I think thats the same set up in another range in Escolta near the pasig river (forgot the name though).

It looks impossible for a bullet to ricochet back to the firing line the way I see it.

But then again, I always cut physics class in high school, so I may be wrong.

jmy
09-03-2004, 07:02
But then again, I always cut physics class in high school, so I may be wrong. [/B][/QUOTE]

"Physics and Chics don't mix so Sorry Nalang Physics".

jmy

9MX
09-03-2004, 09:18
Originally posted by antediluvianist
I suggest everybody read the article posted by Julianz above.

I have bought a few disposable face masks. I don't care what they say at Northstar. (I wonder if those poor gunrange guys have any health insurance.)

Gentlemen, is the Jethro gun range at the basement of Makati Cinema Square open? Last I heard it was not - something about they hadn't been able to get the necessary permits from the PNP. Anybody know for sure? Anyway, I'll drop by Jethro next time I go to Northstar, it's just down the corridor on the same floor (basement of Makati Cinema Square).

i thinks its open, same rates as northstar