RussP
05-28-2004, 19:56
http://fototime.com/29AAB92256F25D1/standard.jpg

RussP
05-29-2004, 12:25
;?;?;?;?;?

Walt408
05-29-2004, 13:13
I wish my dad and my uncles had lived to see it.

Dogbite
05-29-2004, 16:08
;? ;? ;? ;? ;? ;?

05-29-2004, 17:35
I was there today for the ceremony. It was really something to see. All those guys with enough metals to make you stare in disbelief. I mean those guys were tough as hell. The only downside was the meeting of Clinton. he was walking around talking to everyone before the event. I think he is on a permenant book tour.

Chopperdog
05-29-2004, 17:38
I wish my grampa was still alive to see that.

spetsnaz777
05-29-2004, 19:49
Went there today. IMHO WWII vets deserve better than this avant garde modern art monstrosity. I thought something in the vein of the Vietnam memorial would be in order. Seeing the 3 soldiers there always moves one to tears.

I always liked the Soviet WWII memorial- a giant hand holding a torch symbolizing the 27 million Soviet dead in the 1941-1945 war.

Here is another excellent example

www.russianwarrior.com

leadbutt
05-29-2004, 23:42
Looks like its time for another trip to D.C., My uncle would have loved to see it,

Spenz, have to disagree with you on this one, I think the photo shows an outstanding design and layout, can't comment on the Vietnam one have never been able to bring myself to go to it, to many friends are there already

spetsnaz777
05-30-2004, 00:02
Leadbutt I wasnt impressed. I think one like the giant statue holding the sword to the sky would be more fitting than a bunch of new age , avant garde art that most of these vets probabyl dislike. What in blazes took America 60 years to commemorate their heroic WWII veterans??

I'd like to see a memorial where a US Marine is bayoneting a Japanese soldier and another where a G.I is bayoneting a German on the ground.

kawalerzysta
05-30-2004, 23:41
Originally posted by RussP
That memorial was long overdue for "Greatest Generation" Let's hope that there will be no more reasons for memorials.

kawalerzysta
05-30-2004, 23:43
Originally posted by spetsnaz777
Leadbutt I wasnt impressed. I think one like the giant statue holding the sword to the sky would be more fitting than a bunch of new age , avant garde art that most of these vets probabyl dislike. What in blazes took America 60 years to commemorate their heroic WWII veterans??

I'd like to see a memorial where a US Marine is bayoneting a Japanese soldier and another where a G.I is bayoneting a German on the ground.
I think bayoneting would go little to far.

spetsnaz777
05-31-2004, 00:45
Originally posted by kawalerzysta
I think bayoneting would go little to far.

Why is that? Blood and steel won the war!

Walt408
05-31-2004, 11:23

CarlosDJackal
05-31-2004, 13:51
Went there today. IMHO WWII vets deserve better than this avant garde modern art monstrosity. I thought something in the vein of the Vietnam memorial would be in order. Seeing the 3 soldiers there always moves one to tears.

I always liked the Soviet WWII memorial- a giant hand holding a torch symbolizing the 27 million Soviet dead in the 1941-1945 war...
;Q ;Q ;Q

IndyGunFreak
05-31-2004, 15:20
Can't even be civil on the day set aside for our Veterans, can you Spetz? ;Q

I've never been to DC, but if I ever make it there, this will be one of the things I'd like to see. Shame it took so long for a memorial to, in my opinion, some of the toughest men this world has ever seen.

IGF

spetsnaz777
05-31-2004, 16:47
How was I being un civil? I was simply pointing out that WWII vets deserved better than avant garde art to imoortalize their memory of heroism.

FWIW I absolutely HATE avant garde art.

RussP
05-31-2004, 17:48
How was I being un civil? I was simply pointing out that WWII vets deserved better than avant garde art to imoortalize their memory of heroism.

FWIW I absolutely HATE avant garde art. Then preface your comments with that and at least wait until the emotions of the dedication subside. Don't take away from the moment some of us cherish as, "Finally, we have it! ;? with a critisism of the design.

It isn't about the design right now! It is about the Americans buried in foreign soil and American soil, about those who lost husbands, wives, brothers, sisters, mothers, fathers, cousins, lovers, friends, and those who served beside them and watched them die, and now shed tears in memory of them.

By posting as you have, you take much away from many. You make the tears larger and make them last longer.

I was born in the United States of America. You have adopted the United States of America. What we have in common is "The United States of America".

I'd like to think that means something...

A_Swede_17_1911
05-31-2004, 20:46
The memorial looks really nice and has touches that means something, such as the gold stars, etc, lot of it has meanings not just all thrown togather to be art, its far more than that its a memorial.

Walt408
06-01-2004, 20:08
Then preface your comments with that and at least wait until the emotions of the dedication subside. Don't take away from the moment some of us cherish as, "Finally, we have it! ;? with a critisism of the design.

It isn't about the design right now! It is about the Americans buried in foreign soil and American soil, about those who lost husbands, wives, brothers, sisters, mothers, fathers, cousins, lovers, friends, and those who served beside them and watched them die, and now shed tears in memory of them.

By posting as you have, you take much away from many. You make the tears larger and make them last longer.

I was born in the United States of America. You have adopted the United States of America. What we have in common is "The United States of America".

I'd like to think that means something...

^6 ;? ;? ;?

hitecrednek
06-05-2004, 16:06
Just buried my uncle today....Lawrence Hudson Sr.

I always knew he had been in some bad stuff in the pacific, in the Navy. But I never knew what., he never talked about it and we never asked... today I found out he was one of the first ones who entered Hiroshima; he must have been about 19 years old then.

Today at the funeral, I was a pall bearer, and carried his flag out of the church. I didn't know how much it could mean to carry a flag for someone.

I don't know if he would have cared about the memorial in DC...he never went in for memorial day parades or public shows of remembrence.....but his family and the flag, those are his memorials.

;c