Grandfather's dog tags [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Grandfather's dog tags


Smiles007
05-30-2004, 13:59
First of all, While mere words do not do justice, thank you to all of the vets and those currently in the armed forces. A very special thanks to all of those who had a loved one pay the ultimate sacrifice. To those with loved ones overseas, both those here on the home front and those in the field are in my prayers. Your selfless acts in defense of this country and what it stands for are why I can say I am proud to be an American. ;? ;w

Secondly, my grandfather served in the Pacific theater with the 96th Infantry Division (The Deadeyes), specifically the recon troop.;? He passed away a few years ago and gave my brother and I one of his dog tags. I am just not sure if I should wear it. While I am not in the service I do believe the tag is more than just a piece of metal and would hate to see something happen to it (lost, stolen, damaged etc.). What do the veterans here think about a civilian wearing such a tag?

Chopperdog
05-30-2004, 18:19
Wear it proudly.

RussP
05-30-2004, 18:38
I'm with Chopperdog - Honor your Grandfather - wear them proudly!;?

Smiles007
05-30-2004, 20:49
Thanks for the replies. I probably will start wearing it. I cannot speak for my brother who has the other one. Call it whatever you want, but I think it is something special that he had two tags and two grandsons to pass them on to.

RussP
05-31-2004, 19:39
Originally posted by Smiles007
Thanks for the replies. I probably will start wearing it. I cannot speak for my brother who has the other one. Call it whatever you want, but I think it is something special that he had two tags and two grandsons to pass them on to. ;? I think you called it right... ;?

RussP
05-31-2004, 20:09
Originally posted by Smiles007
...While I am not in the service I do believe the tag is more than just a piece of metal and would hate to see something happen to it (lost, stolen, damaged etc.). What do the veterans here think about a civilian wearing such a tag? I do this sometimes. The more you read something, the more you see...

You are the grandson of a soldier who fought for you to have the right to be proud of him and the country he defended: our, your United States of America.

Your respect for him earned your right to wear it...

kawalerzysta
06-01-2004, 19:38
Hopefully some day my grandkids will wear mine with pride. So cherish them.

leadbutt
06-02-2004, 00:33
Wear as long as you chose to,and then when its time honor him and it by placing it in a frame.I have one made that has my GGgrand fathers path from the Civil War, my Ggrand fathers pacth from the Cuban campaign,an Uncles dog tag from WW-1 , Grandfathers and Uncles dog tag from WW-2. my Fathers tag from Korea,and Vietnam, and one of mine from Vietnam, and now have added one from my son who was in Desert Strom-1. and my youngest grand son is already asking Papa, who does it go to when I die:)

RussP
06-02-2004, 06:44
Originally posted by leadbutt
Wear as long as you chose to,and then when its time honor him and it by placing it in a frame.I have one made that has my GGgrand fathers path from the Civil War, my Ggrand fathers pacth from the Cuban campaign,an Uncles dog tag from WW-1 , Grandfathers and Uncles dog tag from WW-2. my Fathers tag from Korea,and Vietnam, and one of mine from Vietnam, and now have added one from my son who was in Desert Strom-1. and my youngest grand son is already asking Papa, who does it go to when I die:) leadbutt, would you mind sharing a picture of that with us?