any tips on buying used? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : any tips on buying used?

modgun
06-02-2004, 21:48
So I am buying a used bike by myself for the first time.

When I was younger my brother (mechanic and rider) would help check things out. Im not a stooge, have been riding on and off for a while and have an okay idea of things to look for.

But...I would love any suggestions tips etc you may have.

I ve also been reading that these bikes are often raced and how to tell. Any tips there?

Bike is a 91 Suzuki gs500 with 32000 miles. For $1250, Ill offer $1000. Supposed to be in good shape with many new parts. Ill know more after looking tomorrow.

Oh yeah, bike lives by the ocean.

RBR
06-02-2004, 22:05
http://www.clarity.net/~adam/buying-bike.html

modgun
06-03-2004, 00:24
Originally posted by RBR

Thanks for the link, but that was one of the first things that I read, great info.

Bullman
06-03-2004, 02:18
That bike sounds okay, I think any bike you can get for $1000.00 should be alright if it is roadworthy and in half way decent shape. Ride it for a while, and you should be able to get your money back, if you don't have to put too much into it.

MikeG22
06-03-2004, 09:41
Geck for oil leaks. On the front of the motor is the metal cap that coes over the oil filter. It's a drop in. Check for all the bolts that tighten it down (4 I think) that they are there. They break extremly easy when tightening. Also, If you can take the gas tank off and check the air filter and air filter box. Check that the filter is clean and there is no oil on the air filter or in the box. There is a PCV line that runs into the top, front of the box and on mine sprayed oil onto the filter and messed things up.

I have a 94 gs500 sitting on the side of my house now. It was a good bike to learn on though it is on the slow side and the wind buffeting on the freeway was pretty bad. Make sure you take it for a ride on a freeway or somewhere you can go 70mph to feel the wind. With the lack of more power and the wind I'm not sure I'd want to commute on it, but it's great for learning the mechanics of riding and taking up to the hills and learning to turn.

mindonmatter
06-03-2004, 23:50
One good way to check if a bike has been raced is to check the oil drain plug. If it has a hole drilled through it laterally, then it's been safety wired per racing/track regulations.

modgun
06-04-2004, 00:30
Thank you thank you for all the suggestions. I didnt look at it today but am going tomorrow.
Seems like a good deal as I was told it is running well and nothing is currently wrong.
Its been years since I had a bike so this is to get me back riding and to slowly learn me about big city riding. I rode dirt and street in a small town when younger but not since moving here. Ill just putt around and stay out of traffic for a bit.

Thanks again!
Ill let you all know tomorrow...

rbielak
06-07-2004, 20:10
Best advice: Find someone who is a motocycle guru, and take him/her with you. And I don't mean just someone who CLAIMS to know about bikes ... :)

MikeG22
06-07-2004, 20:42
Well, did you get it?

modgun
06-08-2004, 02:39
Man...no I did not.
The guy became unavailable 2 different times that we had arranged to meet, then the morning I was on my way over I called him and he said he sold it about an hour ago.

Jerk.
;Q

I mean I understand needing to sell an item, and its not like he knew I was going to buy for sure or anything, but come on. Well whatever.

So I am still on the look in the great Pac NW. Smaller sport bike. Just something to get me ridin. Until then I will save for my future Buell White Lightning!!!!!

modgun
06-08-2004, 02:44
Oh yeah...thanks to all for your great tips!

Anybody looking for the same "buying used" type info should check out the link provided by RBR earlier in this thread. Great info!

THANKS AGAIN!

Moto club is ;D