Best aftermarket antennae for VX-5R? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Best aftermarket antennae for VX-5R?

Reticle
06-03-2004, 01:07
Hello,

Am trying to decide the best antennae to get for my VX-5R to replace the horrid rubber duck stock wire. Am looking at offerings from Maldol (AH-510R, AH-511), Comet (BNC-24A), Diamond (SRH-999), and the MFJ-1720S. I want something that is as tough as the radio that will also give me better reception and transmission range. Anyone have suggestions? Thanks.

Ret

GSD17
06-17-2004, 23:54
sorry, dont know enough to help... so ::bump:: maybe someone else can help

Mallan
06-19-2004, 02:15
Originally posted by Reticle
Hello,

Am trying to decide the best antennae to get for my VX-5R to replace the horrid rubber duck stock wire. Am looking at offerings from Maldol (AH-510R, AH-511), Comet (BNC-24A), Diamond (SRH-999), and the MFJ-1720S. I want something that is as tough as the radio that will also give me better reception and transmission range. Anyone have suggestions? Thanks.

Ret
Premier antennas are pretty good. The thin ones have good gain, and bend anyway you want. The thicker ones may break the connector (SMA) on the radio.

You "can" make one your self by getting an SMA connector ($2-$4) from your local parts house (Rat shack doesn't have those..) and crimping/soldering in a "piano wire" you can get from a local hobby shop ($0.25?). Make it about 17" + a little to trim for VSWR. Cover with heatshrink (really thin stuff ~$1 or so for one leanth). Use 5 minute epoxy at the connector for hold it together, and the end to keep it from poking in things.

Works on both 2 meters (1/4 wave) and 70 centimeters (5/8? can't remember)

When it breaks, build another.

Optional ground plane: You can add a "Tiger Tail" by crimping "Test lead" wire (local Rat Shack) with the shield crimp make it 17-19" long. Then you have a real full dipole (Without your hand and arm being the ground plane.)

cntrline
06-22-2004, 06:56
I have 2 of the Comet bnc 24 that work very well. R&L had a decent price.