scent control items [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : scent control items

noway
06-03-2004, 09:51
Anybody have any ideas and feedback on the current sent control soaps/shampoos/deordrant/laundry powder?

I pan on buying something for this year start of deer season but don't know what to get. I got a small sample of the Buck Stop laundry detergent. Is this product very good?

CanyonMan
06-17-2004, 15:36
Hey Noway,

Man i just cound not stand seeing you sit here all alone like this! :)

I cannot vouch for any of these products, i have never used them, or really any of the sent luandry products.

I just simply make sure i stay away from cigerette smoke, and gasoline, etc. etc. anything that would soak into my hunting clothes.

And that i wash them in a 'non-perfumed' dedergent.
I have packed them in a box or bag, that is sprinkled with cedar, or sage, or whatever seems to be the major folaige where i am hunting.

I use a good quality masking sent, and a good attractent sent, out away from my stand, (when i do stand hunt, which is rare), and try and always stay down wind from what i am stalking, etc. Always works for me. The "Pete Rickards original indian buck lure" is what i told you about when we talked last, funny as it sounds.. It works fantastic! (remember the buck leaning over in the back of my pick-up story).

BTW.. I take that back! I just went and looked in the laundry room. i use the "H.S. Sent - A- Way Laundry detergent".. By Hunters Specialties! Forgot all about that!

This is a product that removes stains, (blood, etc), and removes odors. It says "sent free."

Well, i'm sure you already know all this, just thought i'd drop in on ya!

let me hear from ya on the "bow deal."

Adios.

CanyonMan

firminw
06-23-2004, 20:54
The best and cheapest is good ol' baking soda. I Gara On Tee it to remove and stay scent free. For cover scents I use good ol' apples. Cut 'em up into 1/2" cubes and put in a zip lock bag. Douse generously with good amount of cinnamon and sugar before closing bag. Throw bag on counter for a couple of days and let "work" at room temp. Spread mixture around your stand and viola, cover scent and attractant all in one cheap, natural format.

TScottW99
06-24-2004, 00:46
For a Cover Scent... http://www.btdoutdoors.com I have been using the BTD cover scent going on three years and it is just plain awesome.

For scent eliminator I use the Wildlife Research laundry wash and scent eliminator and store my clothes in scent proof (large plastic bag) bag.

P.S. The baking soda works good also. If you get any BTD scent tell Max I sent you. He's a great guy.

noway
06-24-2004, 08:28
I actually got a sample of their laundry soap. Somebody also suggested a cheaper alternative for washing your gear was baby-laundry soap. It souppose to leave no order also. Thanks guys.

Do any of you use the deordant sticks that are unscented? I was looking at buying this stuff for this upcoming season just to try out.

Michigun
06-24-2004, 13:33
I do most of my hunting after work so I don’t wash any differently in the morning then I do any other time of the year… I do switch to an unscented deodorant however.

I’m so freak’in “angry spider like” when it comes to being as scent free as possible that my hunting friends are always giving me a hard time… bringing up past “harvest records” tends to quiet them down in a hurry however. ;)

I use scent controlling suites, (I’m doubled up on the scent controlling pants & jacket.) footwear, gloves, facemask & hat at all times. I always use skin-safe scent ‘eliminating’ spray on my head/face, hands & am always crewing some kind of wintergreen gum, but that’s more because I like to crew gum & wintergreen is my favorite flavor. I also spray down all my hunting cloths/gear once or twice a week with Wildlife Research’s scent killer… even though my boots are of the rubber flavor they get sprayed with scent killer every time I go out, so does my hat & facemask.

All my hunting stuff stays packed in Rubber Made containers & they only get opened once I’m in the field… my hunting stuff NEVER sees my house, vehicle or anything else that may give it deer alerting scents! I always get dressed outside & away from/upwind of any deer alerting scents! This is the part that REALLY puts a strain on trying to be as scent free as possible… I’ve dressed in – degree, windy, snowy days standing in 2 feet of snow. The only clothing item I wear in the woods that has seen the house/vehicle that day are my “tighty-whiteys”… that’s right, I strip down to my underwear before any of my hunting cloths go on… no matter what the weather!

All of my cloths are packed back away with baking soda… I go through a big box + a week all season long, but it’s cheap enough. When I take my stuff back out I give it a good shake or 2 to get off the excess baking soda. By the way, another nice plus is that baking soda is a pretty good bug repellant… mosquitoes don’t like it at all.

I definitely see more whitetails now that I’ve been de-scenting… I know a lot of that has been because I’ve become a better hunter, but I’ve had deer directly downwind of me on several occasions where they haven’t been alerted to my presents. Waaaay too many to believe what I’m doing isn’t helping. One of my biggest/oldest bucks I took during bow season a few years back was directly downwind of me at a distance of less then 6 or 7 yards… I was on the ground crouched behind some tall weeds just enough to launch an arrow without any interference. I had to wait a good minute before I had a clear shot too; he never knew I was there. (Well, he never knew I was there till that 125-grain, NAP, Spit-Fire tipped arrow went slicing thru his lungs & heart! ;))

noway
06-24-2004, 14:09
Thanks for the advice. That's what I'm been concentrating on this year was being more scent aware ( and no I don't think I smell ;) )

the only bad thing for me is, most of the early season is hotter than a typical greasy spoon grill and I'm looking for better way to stay protected from bitting insect without resorting to any chemical sprays that can leave an ordor. I been doing the same thing with washing my pants and mosquito netting jacket and sealing it up in plastic zip-lock bags. I also started carry duplicate clothing so If I stay overnight, I can have a fresh pack to wear that would be free of any odors that I picked up the day before.

once again thanks for the input,,, now if I can figure out how to get rid of the msoquitos and african ants then my hunts would be very nice.

CanyonMan
06-28-2004, 18:56
Michigun,

Man, i sure got to hand it to ya Hoss! That is one heck of a system you got goin there.

But i was sitting here working up a 'sweat' just thinking about all that work! :)

Good Hunting Mich,

CanyonMan

Michigun
06-28-2004, 19:25
Originally posted by CanyonMan
But i was sitting here working up a 'sweat' just thinking about all that work! :)

Thanks chief! ^c

It'll all be worth it again this coming season if I can get that REAL nice 8-pointer in front of me that I've been seeing in my back yard (literally) lately! ;)

CanyonMan
06-28-2004, 22:23
Go get him Bud!

Be careful!

CM

lomfs24
06-30-2004, 01:10
I wash my clothes in normal detergent, then I do another cycle with baking soda just before season. We usually go in the night before so I take my cammies and throw them in whatever is in the area, sage, pine etc... seems to work fine for me.

Probably the most sucessful trip I have ever we spent about a week living off whatever we could carry in in saddle bags on the horse we rode. No pack horses on that trip. I litterally spent a week in my cammies. Camp smoke, ciggerette smoke, bacon and sausage grease and whatever smells you might aquire with a weeks worth of camping. You might also imagine what I smelled like after that time with out what normal people would call a shower. At tree line in September here, the local lake was not somthing you wanted to get into unless you fell in while getting water to drink.

After all that, that last evening he hunted, I had a 400 class bull elk inside of 30 yards downwind of me. I couldn't believe it but there he was. I never got a clean shooting lane so he was there for about 5 minutes and then wandered off because he couldn't see the cow he was hearing.

shrpshtr
07-08-2004, 07:51
Originally posted by noway
Thanks for the advice. That's what I'm been concentrating on this year was being more scent aware ( and no I don't think I smell ;) )

the only bad thing for me is, most of the early season is hotter than a typical greasy spoon grill and I'm looking for better way to stay protected from bitting insect without resorting to any chemical sprays that can leave an ordor. I been doing the same thing with washing my pants and mosquito netting jacket and sealing it up in plastic zip-lock bags. I also started carry duplicate clothing so If I stay overnight, I can have a fresh pack to wear that would be free of any odors that I picked up the day before.

once again thanks for the input,,, now if I can figure out how to get rid of the msoquitos and african ants then my hunts would be very nice.

i use mainly baking soda as well, but i never really worried about my scent, just worked the wind real good. i am looking into some products for scent control this year as well though. i ordered a scent blocker suit from bass pro the other day and will try a couple of their (scent blocker) sprays.

as far as bug protection, i have been looking into that more this year as well. bow season here starts Aug 15. in the swamp, it's usually 95+ degrees with 90% humidity and no breeze. it is brutal! there is a new (to me) product out called Rynoskin. i ordered some of that the other day too. complete suit. it is not designed for mosquitos but i hear it still works very good against them. it is mainly for ticks, chiggars, biting flies, gnats, no-see-ums, etc. you might want to check into that also.

i wouldn't recommend using baby laundry detergent for scent management. even though they say scent free, i can sure smell that stuff so i know deer can.

noway
07-08-2004, 09:56
Give us some feedback after you try this stuff ( http://www.rynoskin.com/) . If it is cool as stated on the website and gives partial to total protection from mosquitoes this might be worthwell. I wonder also just how effective ants are from this protection since that's the next biggest issues for my area. If the buzzing mosquitoes aren't getting you then the african fire ants are.

;)

Michigun
07-08-2004, 13:23
I guess we’re lucky up here in Michigan as insects aren’t around too much longer after our whitetail season starts… bow is the 1st up & begins October 1st.

vafish
07-09-2004, 19:15
I've used Pine Sol to wash my hunting clothes.

It's listed as being used for laundry. And I figure the Pine Scent smells fairly natural.