Veteran Organizations [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Veteran Organizations

kawalerzysta
06-05-2004, 13:45
Which organizations do you guys belong to. I belong to VFW.

Generalcarry
06-05-2004, 15:02
VFW
DAV

AirCav
06-05-2004, 18:09
Life member VFW ;?

Artisan
06-05-2004, 19:46
Ive been looking to join the VFW now for awhile, don't know to much about it though. If anyone would be so kind as to send me a PM letting me know how to join, what membership entails / offers, some of the events or activities? thanks in advance for any replies!

;V

kawalerzysta
06-05-2004, 19:52
Originally posted by Artisan
Ive been looking to join the VFW now for awhile, don't know to much about it though. If anyone would be so kind as to send me a PM letting me know how to join, what membership entails / offers, some of the events or activities? thanks in advance for any replies!

;V
If you served in Korea or any named operation or received capaign medal you should qualify. Costs $25 a year. Here is application link
https://www.vfw.org/index.cfm?fa=mbr.leveld&did=1211

TScottW99
06-05-2004, 20:24
The only military organization I belong to at the moment is the CEC/Seabee Historical Foundation.... http://www.seabeehf.org/ Have been meaning to join the VFW for some time now.

jawjaboy
06-06-2004, 05:23
VFW since 1972. My son signed me up for the American Legion last year so that he could access to the post lake for fishing. Sooo...VFW and American Legion here.

jerryd
06-06-2004, 15:52
American Legion,VVA, Had a bad experience trying to join the VFW in 1968, havent been back since!

NVSeabee
06-06-2004, 22:22
TScottW99

You might be interested in the SVA Seabee Veterans of America. They have islands (chapters) all across the US.
I've been a member for about a year and a half.

NVSeabee

Cava3r4
06-10-2004, 17:58
Life DAV
Life VFW
Annual American Legion
Annual VVA
Life 25th Infantry Division Assoc.
Life 3/4 Cavalry Assoc.
and of course Life in the NRA
Bob

TScottW99
06-10-2004, 20:14
Originally posted by NVSeabee
TScottW99

You might be interested in the SVA Seabee Veterans of America. They have islands (chapters) all across the US.
I've been a member for about a year and a half.

NVSeabee

Thanks NVSeabee! I had looked at their page some time ago and had forgotten the name. I will have to look into it again!

fade2black
06-14-2004, 13:36
MCL for a few months now.

A_Swede_17_1911
06-16-2004, 22:07
life member 82nd airborne association
VFW
Associaton of the United States Army
working on my nra lifetime

fnfalman
06-18-2004, 11:48
VFW, American Legion, 101st Airborne Division Association. I spent two years with the 82nd, but don't feel connected enough to that outfit to join up with the 82nd Association.

actionpup
07-02-2004, 20:43
DAV
VFW

Also sit on the board of a local umbrella organization - County Veteran Council. It is a liaison organization that assists the various veteran offices, local government, community, and various veteran service organizations to work more effectively in serving county veterans.

bayerta
07-04-2004, 05:33
VFW and American Legion. I plan on joining the Marine Embassy Guard Association (MEGA) when I complete my tour on the MSG program in Oct.

rlbgfish173
07-07-2004, 09:34
Society of the 173rd Airborne Brigade.

Ed Ely
07-14-2004, 23:21
VFW Life
DAV Life
American Legion
and of course -
NRA Life
and by the way, thanx to all
of you who served.

Ed

55D
07-28-2004, 12:49
Originally posted by jerryd
American Legion,VVA, Had a bad experience trying to join the VFW in 1968, havent been back since!

I also had a bad experience with the VFW. I tried to join when I got back from Vietnam and was told that "We don't want your kind." They would only accept Vietnam vets that were officers or senior NCO's.

jerryd
07-28-2004, 12:58
55D was told by the VFW that we didnt win our war so we wernt wanted there so that was in dec 68 and havent been back SINCE!

GRIZZLYBEAR
07-29-2004, 09:01
Vietnam era vet----didn't like the way I was treated at the VFW post I tried to join in '68.

Haven't been back and won't go back...

Joined the American Legion instead.

grizz

AirCav
07-29-2004, 17:09
re: VFW

No disrespect intended but isn't 30 years a long time to hold a grudge? Whoever it was that wronged you back then is probably dead and buried. There has been some turnover since then and some of us are really quite personable.

Was it actually the VFW (the organization) that pissed you off or was it just some jackhole at the local post running his mouth?

jerryd
07-29-2004, 17:24
Both!!!!!

Generalcarry
07-30-2004, 04:11
I joined the VFW in 68 just to use the bar. Never set foot in one again until around 85 or so when I got a phone call, "out of the blue" from the VFW rep. at the VA hospital in Detroit. He said they were reviewing my medical file (I asked no one to do this) and the military was not paying me the full amount for my injuries. He asked MY permission to set up a medical re-evaluation. The VA more than doubled my disability. I joined for life. I quit the booze and never go to the post, but had to give the VFW some money for helping me and all the other guys who "just wanted to get the hell out ASAP". They have my full support, respect.

GRIZZLYBEAR
07-30-2004, 10:15
The organization POd me....

No 30 years isn't to long to hold a grudge---this was/and still is a matter of principle---

That same VFW that refused me entry as a Nam Vet has accepted some Draft Dodgers as social members

grizz

williegee
07-30-2004, 16:19
American Legion

Sixgun_Symphony
08-01-2004, 23:42
Originally posted by 55D
I also had a bad experience with the VFW. I tried to join when I got back from Vietnam and was told that "We don't want your kind." They would only accept Vietnam vets that were officers or senior NCO's.

Did you have long hair?

They were probably afraid that radicals were going to infiltrate their organization and transform it into something like the VVAW. (http://www.vvaw.org/)

55D
08-02-2004, 06:57
Originally posted by Sixgun_Symphony
Did you have long hair?

They were probably afraid that radicals were going to infiltrate their organization and transform it into something like the VVAW. (http://www.vvaw.org/)

Actually, I was active duty military at the time and even a registered Republican.

Darkangel1846
08-02-2004, 12:14
I had thought about joining the local chapter of the American Legion.
Actually talked to a couple higher up old guys. When I brought up my wife who had been an Army Nurse they both became somewhat condesending. Didn't feel that Nurses were really Milatary, just civilians in Uniform.
I said "Fancy that." My wife came into the Army through the Army Nursing program during the Viet Nam War, Served in Europe, Central America, Korea and Desert Storm with the 15th Evac.....Retired at 20 years as a LTC, and she wasn't real Military. I told them both that they were stupid old men and that I and my "Hero" wife wouldn't think of associating with two *******s like them. That was 6 or 7 years ago. Since then my Wife had a run in with one of those old buzzards in the ER, put him in his place too. We don't think we really belong in that local chapter so we avoid it. Maybe somewhere else when we retire.
DA1846

Sixgun_Symphony
08-02-2004, 14:03
Originally posted by 55D
Actually, I was active duty military at the time and even a registered Republican.

Huh,

Maybe they were absorbing the awful things that John Kerry had to say about our GI's in Vietnam.

Sixgun_Symphony
08-02-2004, 14:06
Originally posted by Darkangel1846
I had thought about joining the local chapter of the American Legion.
Actually talked to a couple higher up old guys. When I brought up my wife who had been an Army Nurse they both became somewhat condesending. Didn't feel that Nurses were really Milatary, just civilians in Uniform.
DA1846

I have known a fair number of Army & Marines who expressed similar attitudes about the Navy.

55D
08-02-2004, 19:30
Originally posted by Sixgun_Symphony
Huh,

Maybe they were absorbing the awful things that John Kerry had to say about our GI's in Vietnam.

You may be close. I got the impression that they considered the average junior enlisted man from Vietnam as a drug crazed psychopath.

Sixgun_Symphony
08-02-2004, 21:44
Originally posted by 55D
You may be close. I got the impression that they considered the average junior enlisted man from Vietnam as a drug crazed psychopath.

Gotta be it, sad that those vets could not see through the B/S.

Old NFO
08-11-2004, 13:44
Military Officers of America Association (MOAA), American Legion, Fleet Reserve and the Sojourners (Military Masons)

And proud of EVERY one of them!

Jim

Buzz_Hog
08-21-2004, 10:32
VFW
Marine Corps Association
Marine Embassy Guards Association

michael t
08-23-2004, 13:02
None , Got same VFW crap when I tried to join (68)Now! I don't want to set around with a bunch of old farts telling war stories and drinking.Got better things to do with few years I have left.

actionpup
08-23-2004, 17:57
Originally posted by michael t
None , Got same VFW crap when I tried to join (68)Now! I don't want to set around with a bunch of old farts telling war stories and drinking.Got better things to do with few years I have left.
I certainly will not defend what the VFW did during and after the Vietnam War as it was despicable. FTR however the VFW I belong to is dry. The organization is run primarily by Vietnam Veterans with a few older vets and a few of us younger vets. It is active in community service activities including supporting a county honor guard burial detail to provide military honors at veteranís funerals. They often have dinners to honor various veteran groups and provide countless community service to those in need regardless if they are vets are not. I have yet to sit around and hear old farts telling obnoxious war stories. I have sat around during one of our dinners or service projects and enjoyed listening to a fellow veteran share their war experiences (often they have no one else in their life to listen) and as always it is an honor. I am grateful to be associated with such solid men and women of character.