Flew an Extra 300 today!!! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Flew an Extra 300 today!!!

sopdan
06-08-2004, 14:06
...the first of four flights, and it was really fun. While climbing out the instructor told me he'd find a hole in the clouds to get on top, and about 5 seconds later he pitched (what seemed like) nearly straight up for a few thousand feet.

We started off with some steep turns and stalls, including some accelerated stalls at 140 knots. We also did some aileron rolls, Immelmans, loops, and unusual attitude recoveries.

The Extra's controls are extremely sensitive and the plane has lots of power, much different from the 172 Chickenhawk. I can't wait for the next flight. :)

If you ever get the chance to ride in one, I highly suggest it.

06-08-2004, 16:16
Hey now, I prefer to refer to a "chickenhawk" as a "F-172 Osterich!"
;f ;f ;a ;a ;z ;z ;c ;c ;c

flyandscuba
06-08-2004, 17:47
Better a "Chickenhawk" -- than a "Traumahawk".....uh, I mean a Tomahawk!!;z

FB3
06-09-2004, 03:55
The Extra 300 is a great aerobatic airplane. The rotational rate on it is exceptional and vertical performance is very good. Very straight forward flight characteristics. Snap rolls and fully developed spins are a real experience. Great visibility and ground handling characteristics. Far superior to the Pitts.

M2 Carbine
06-09-2004, 08:23
Cool sopdan ^c
Sounds like a ball.

I think the closest I'll get to an Extra 300 is in Flight Sim 2004 and the flight usually ends in disaster. ;f

Medpilot 2
06-09-2004, 09:04
Wow, sounds great. I'd love a chance to fly in one of those.

I had an opposite experience last weekend.

I rented a C172 to fly my Mom up to Canada last weekend. I haven't been in a small 4 seater in about 5 years. I'm use to flying a C-421, so the 172 felt very strange. It was almost like flying a toy compared tot the 421. It actually made me nervous to get it slowed down to 60kts on final. Funny how perspective can change so much.