Going for my Tech license on Thursday [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Going for my Tech license on Thursday

frettedfive
06-08-2004, 20:41
Hi all!

Well, I've been bitten by the ham bug. A friend of mine at work turned me on to it.

He's loaned me a book to study for the Tech license, and one for the General as well.
He was also kind enough to loan me a spare iCOM T90A HT for a while, just so I could listen in until I get my operator's license.

I've become fascinated by the ability to pluck information from the airwaves around me. I can get weather, traffic, TV programs... even communicate with things in orbit!
I never realized that ham radio was capable of half these things!

I'll probably wind up taking the General written test at the ame time. The only thing between me and a General license would then be the CW test, which I'd have a year to complete.

Anyway, I just wanted to drop in and let you know that you're (hopefully) going to have another ham within the ranks fairly soon. ;c

GSD17
06-08-2004, 21:37
cool! ive been a no code tech for a few months now, and im ready to pass my CW and get my Gen.... im studying as we speak

TammiJ
06-08-2004, 21:38
Good luck on the test! ^c

bangelo
06-09-2004, 06:19
Good luck. Also, after you pass your test you can go to the fcc's web site and look up your last name and they will post your call sign on there. As soon as they issue it to you you can start transmitting. That takes a few days off the mail waiting period.

frettedfive
06-10-2004, 21:26
Passed my Technician license examine today!

I also took a shot at the General license written exam... only got 19 question out of 35 though... needed 26 to get the license.
The electronics-related questions killed me. I'm a software guy, not hardware.
Anyway, at least I know what I need to study the hardest before I try the exam again.

My friend Joe, who turned me on to ham in the first place, was also there taking his CW test. He'd already passed his General license written exam a few months ago, and had been studying the code.
He passed it, and then took the Extra written exam which he also passed.

So he went from being a no-code Tech to an Extra in one fell swoop. Not too shabby.

Anyway, they told me I'd probably get my callsign sometime early next week.
I can't wait to get on the air.

Thanks for all the kind words of support, fellow GTers ;c

geminicricket
06-10-2004, 21:37
Say, KA5MJX is my dad, but he doesn't play on the air much these days.

He's got the notion to write more autobiographical stuff, this time about his life before the war, and I hope to do a better job of being an editor this time than I did last time.

alphacat
06-11-2004, 00:48
^c

AWMP
06-17-2004, 20:21
Congrads !!

frettedfive
06-21-2004, 20:03
Just got back from vacation in Florida, and saw that my new callsign was posted on the FCC page.

I'm now KE5BSR.

Maybe I'll hear some of you GT hams on the air soon. ;)

Caretaker
06-24-2004, 20:57
Originally posted by frettedfive
Hi all!

Well, I've been bitten by the ham bug. A friend of mine at work turned me on to it.

He's loaned me a book to study for the Tech license, and one for the General as well.
He was also kind enough to loan me a spare iCOM T90A HT for a while, just so I could listen in until I get my operator's license.

I've become fascinated by the ability to pluck information from the airwaves around me. I can get weather, traffic, TV programs... even communicate with things in orbit!
I never realized that ham radio was capable of half these things!

I'll probably wind up taking the General written test at the ame time. The only thing between me and a General license would then be the CW test, which I'd have a year to complete.

Anyway, I just wanted to drop in and let you know that you're (hopefully) going to have another ham within the ranks fairly soon. ;c

Good luck and hope you did well with it tonite. best wishes.
73 de kevin N1KGM ;f :) ;f