I love "Airliners.Net".......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I love "Airliners.Net".......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ATL Peach Girl
06-12-2004, 23:44
Ever since that site got mentioned here on GT, I go to it a few times a week so I can catch the latest uploads.........

I have always been so interested in aviation, not little planes, but jet liners.........and yes, take offs still scare me even after all the flights I have taken.......I grip the seat a little each time......

I think I should have been a pilot......instead, I went into broadcasting......I probably would never have made it as a pilot as I was never good at math in school......;f

For those of you who do not know what site I am talking about....go here:

www.Airliners.Net

BNSF
06-13-2004, 09:59
Math is easy if you apply yourself to it.

Texas T
06-13-2004, 11:39
Originally posted by ATL Peach Girl
I think I should have been a pilot......instead, I went into broadcasting......I probably would never have made it as a pilot as I was never good at math in school......;f Peaches, you are doing yourself a disservice if you don't give it a try. Go HERE (http://www.beapilot.com) and take a look around. For less than $50 you can get up in the air and see what it's all about from the pilot's perspective. There are about a dozen places in and around Atlanta for you to pick from.

Your flight instructor will walk you through the whole pre-flight, explaining what he's looking for and why, he'll explain the controls and how they work, and more. He (or she - ask if you can get a female instructor if you'd prefer a woman's perspective) will handle the taxi, takeoff, communications, etc, but you will get to handle the controls for a little bit while airborne.

Advice... you don't need to hold the yoke in a death grip like I did on my first flight; it's not going to fall out of the sky if you aren't "holding it up". :) My instructor usually flew with just two fingers and once the airplane is trimmed it is very easy to maintain level flight.

As to the math part of flying. It's not difficult, and with all the doo-dads and gadgets available to us today ( http://www.sportys.com/students/ ) it's more a matter of punching in the right info. :) By the way, if you make a purchase from Sporty's, you will be put in a drawing for a new Cessna Skyhawk 172 valued at over $200K. So if you win, you won't have any real excuse to not learn how to fly it! ;) (you do need to have your student certificate first to win)

If you don't do this at least once in your life you will never understand the joy of real flying (not sitting inside an aluminum tube at 33,000 ft).

T

frefoo
06-16-2004, 19:12
I spent 4 years working on F-15 avionics and only 2 jets crashed that I ever worked on) ^7 (laugh here). (All not related to my work, all persons were safe)

That being said I will never again see the 7 rings when an F-15 goes into afterburner while chained to the ground.

I have always liked airplanes and if I stayed in I could have flown an F-15 for an hour or so.

I could get an F-15 off of the ground; Navigation/Landing would be a problem.

Anyway I digress,

I am in the process of contacting the local flight schools to schedule a flight on a little plane.

To me it is not the type of plane, it is experience flying provides little plane or not.

Medpilot 2
06-16-2004, 22:33
ATL Peach Girl--

I agree with what was said above. I'm currently flying Air ambulance and will be sending resumes out to the airlines later this year.

You don't have to be great at math to be a pilot. The math that is involved is just your basic addition, subtraction, division and multiplication. There isn't any complex geometry to deal with. I still get a rush every time I take off and I love going to work. Don't sell yourself short and think that you can't do it.

tSuperflyTNT
06-22-2004, 02:35
Airliners.net definately has a lot of good pics, but make sure you virus scan them if you download any pics because that site is chocked full of viruses. so i've been told. you're not supposed to copy anyone's pics without permission.

tSuperflyTNT
06-22-2004, 02:46
The only thing you need to learn how to fly is modivation and a strong desire to do one of the coolest things man has ever accomplished. There is a lot of bookwork and studying involved, but if you really want to learn how to fly you'll love every minute of it. like i tell everyone who thinks it would be cool to fly...If I can do it, anyone can do it. I'm no scholar, but because of the modivation factor, flying is like breathing to me.

Tennessee Slim
06-22-2004, 14:52
ATL Peach Girl, go for it, itís a hoot. Your view of the world will change, and for the rest of your life you will divide the world into pilots and non-pilots.

If you decide to take it up, donít forget to have fun. Flying is intrinsically fun; if your instructor canít teach you to fly without squelching the fun, fire him and find another (never forget heís just hired help).

And donít sweat the math; Medipilot 2 is right. The critical calculations already have been done by pros and compiled into a chart (or a round calculator called a Ďwhiz wheelí). The only real math you do in the cockpit relates to those things that change on every flight: weight & location of passengers, baggage and fuel. You do simple multiplication (on the calculator you keep in your flight bag) and plug your numbers into one of those professionally-prepared charts (or the whiz wheel). The brainy partís already been done for you.

Now if you want a real challenge, take up flying helicopters. Airplanes are fun but I have yet to see anyone fly a Cessna backwards. On purpose. Twice.

Medpilot 2
06-22-2004, 14:57
Airplanes are fun but I have yet to see anyone fly a Cessna backwards

Eh, just get into a C-152 with the wind blowing more than 40kts doing slow flight. You'll go backwards just fine. ;f

9x19mm
06-24-2004, 04:23
The site (airliners.net) seems to be down for the last couple of days

ATL Peach Girl
06-25-2004, 15:34
Originally posted by 9x19mm
The site (airliners.net) seems to be down for the last couple of days
believe me.......I noticed.....!!:( I go there a couple times a week......

STYX
07-06-2004, 15:19
Originally posted by Medpilot 2
Eh, just get into a C-152 with the wind blowing more than 40kts doing slow flight. You'll go backwards just fine. ;f

hehe... ;z so true.