Bush screws up airspace!!!! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Bush screws up airspace!!!!

hapuna
06-18-2004, 13:17
The Washington Pilots Assoc had a fly in planned for Orcas Island leaving at 5:30pm yesterday and returning near 9pm. It had to be adjusted and many couldn't make it due to the Presidential TFR.
Since I was up for the trip and the weather was beautiful I took some friends up. We left about 5pm with the intention of having a quick bite and returning around 7pm. They were threatening to shut down our airport by 8pm. This would give us about 20 minutes to spare on arrival. Of course the restaurant worked their charm and we didn't leave til about 7:35. I was being constantly warned by the FSS and all controllers that I might not make it back which would mean I would have to leave the area of my home airport to wait out the expiration of the TFR. Proceeded at full power and was passed to Seattle control with the same warning. They said I could have until 8:10 but that was it!!!!!!! Was able to achieve a groundspeed of over 170kts with a nice tailwind. Landed at 8:09:50!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! By the skin of my teeth!! And to show how serious this was I heard the Controller explain to others that they would have to start flying North immediately and clear the airspace or get ready for their Secret Service interviews!!
It was a wonderful trip;f

lkblair
06-20-2004, 10:21
Ahh, you gotta love the secret service. They contol everything when the prez. is in town.

You made it from Ocras Island to Paine Field in under 40 minutes? Thats super fast, you were cooking!

40Cal
06-20-2004, 10:53
Sounds like a great trip...but I'm not sure I know why you picked the title you picked.

Texas T
06-20-2004, 11:20
Originally posted by 40Cal
Sounds like a great trip...but I'm not sure I know why you picked the title you picked. Because when he travels it disrupts aviation in general, not just GA. It might be different if there was a 30-60 min window in which you couldn't land or transit a particular airport/area when he's around, but so many of the TFRs these days in regards to his travels are as follows:

==> ATTENTION PILOTS <==

FAA TO ESTABLISH TFRs OVER BUSH RANCH, HOUSTON THIS WEEKEND
AOPA is sending this message to advise pilots in the Crawford, Texas, area that the FAA is expected to issue a notam that will expand Prohibited Area P-49 beginning Friday, June 11, for President Bush's visit to his ranch. He is also slated to make a side trip to Houston Saturday evening.

Based on AOPA's best information at this time, along with notams that have already been issued, the president will arrive in Waco at 2:50 p.m. local on Friday and stay at the ranch in Crawford. The president is scheduled to head to Waco again at 5:30 p.m. local on Saturday for his trip to Houston. He arrives back in Waco at 11 p.m. local that same night. He is scheduled to stay at the Crawford ranch until approximately 10 a.m. local on Sunday, June 13.

Typically, these presidential travel-related TFRs are 60 nautical miles in diameter (30-nm radius) and contain one or more smaller general aviation no-fly zones. AOPA is posting the notams along with graphics on AOPA Online ( http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/notams.html#tx ).

The information in this notice is provided to AOPA by the FAA. Because TFR airspace frequently changes, AOPA strongly encourages pilots to obtain a briefing and CHECK NOTAMS before every flight. TFR
violators will be intercepted and forced to land.

==========================================================

60 Nautical miles? Give me a break.

lkblair
06-20-2004, 20:31
Any US prez is the same way, if it is differnt in regards to more restructive , it is beacause the Secrect service is being more catious than before in regards to safety, because it is not 10 years ago, it is now, a more dangarous time, as we have seen a few years ago.

Bush isnt to blame, it is the bad guys. Bush isnt to blame he dosnt run the Sercet service.

On 9/11 there was a US airliner that got into DC airspace, useally they had stingers ready to launch from the White House roof, but they were not ready, the Secret Service is NOT going to make that mistake twice, just as you have seen in reagards to the bulletin you posted.

Best

hapuna
06-21-2004, 11:36
Originally posted by Texas T
Because when he travels it disrupts aviation in general, not just GA. It might be different if there was a 30-60 min window in which you couldn't land or transit a particular airport/area when he's around, but so many of the TFRs these days in regards to his travels are as follows:

==> ATTENTION PILOTS <==

FAA TO ESTABLISH TFRs OVER BUSH RANCH, HOUSTON THIS WEEKEND
AOPA is sending this message to advise pilots in the Crawford, Texas, area that the FAA is expected to issue a notam that will expand Prohibited Area P-49 beginning Friday, June 11, for President Bush's visit to his ranch. He is also slated to make a side trip to Houston Saturday evening.

Based on AOPA's best information at this time, along with notams that have already been issued, the president will arrive in Waco at 2:50 p.m. local on Friday and stay at the ranch in Crawford. The president is scheduled to head to Waco again at 5:30 p.m. local on Saturday for his trip to Houston. He arrives back in Waco at 11 p.m. local that same night. He is scheduled to stay at the Crawford ranch until approximately 10 a.m. local on Sunday, June 13.

Typically, these presidential travel-related TFRs are 60 nautical miles in diameter (30-nm radius) and contain one or more smaller general aviation no-fly zones. AOPA is posting the notams along with graphics on AOPA Online ( http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/notams.html#tx ).

The information in this notice is provided to AOPA by the FAA. Because TFR airspace frequently changes, AOPA strongly encourages pilots to obtain a briefing and CHECK NOTAMS before every flight. TFR
violators will be intercepted and forced to land.

==========================================================

60 Nautical miles? Give me a break.

Yes its exactly as TexasT says. Now Crawford Texas is one thing but this is Boeing Field inside of the Seattle Class B airspace and they are literally taking dozens airports as no fly and dozens more in the 30mile ring as fully controlled access only with positive contact with ATC and a discrete transponder code. That folks is a serious mess!;f

STYX
07-06-2004, 15:24
A few weeks ago I had a flight into Tampa, but due to the insane TFR dimesions I ended up in Naples to wait it out. I could not believe I was denied to deviate to St. Pete... they told me I could either go to Naples or the East coast. *shrugs* that's they way it works sometimes.

hapuna
07-06-2004, 16:17
Yet you could probably drive a van full of explosives to within 100yds of his parked jet????;P

You didn't really want to go to Tampa anyway did ya!;f

40Cal
07-07-2004, 14:34
Hey now, EVERYONE wants to come to Tampa!

Tennessee Slim
07-07-2004, 14:57
The only time I ever said the "E" word on the radio, I had two low fuel lights and Danforth Quayle parked on the only runway.

STYX
07-08-2004, 12:20
Eh, Tampa isn't THAT bad. ;)

Actually, I intended on doing some approaches in to tampa, wanted a change of scenery and could get some actual.

07-24-2004, 23:57
He's the president of the free world, what do you expect? You were warned in advance from the NOTAM'S, so why are you complaining about the president and the TFR'S?

Yeah it slows things up, but that's the way it goes. Stop complaining.

Bob22
08-26-2004, 00:47
P-49 in Crawford Texas messes with our flight school a little. When fully expanded it falls 1000 feet short of our runway. All it really does is interupt training flight to the north but we mainly fly south east and west anyways. The EAA did some fighting for us and now we have a 5? nautical mile exception to the TFR around our airport although it is not depicted on the sectional chart. The airport we do alot of approaches at lies just within P-49 and i know of people, sharp sharp pilots, who have wandered into the edge of the TFR while explaining something to a student. Not pretty.