How does the Sony night shot work? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How does the Sony night shot work?

WolfmanGK
06-25-2004, 21:54
I always thought you needed soem sophisticated tube- type item to see like "night vision", but upon taking my Sony apart, this is not the case. How does it work? IR sensitive CCD sensors with a green filter?

chevrofreak
06-25-2004, 23:34
I believe all digital and video cameras can pick up infrared light, such as the light that your TV remote puts out. Add a high output IR bulb and you have a sort of night vision mode.

hwyhobo
06-26-2004, 01:26
Actually, most modern digital cameras have severely retarded IR capabilities because they interfered with the normal picture taking. Older digital cameras are better at it.

WolfmanGK, what do you mean by "night shot"? What exactly do you register? How long is the exposure? Can you point us to examples?

nothingness
06-26-2004, 03:51
the ccd is sensitive to near ir , most cameras filter this out, sony has a circut to amplify it,it works

WolfmanGK
06-26-2004, 08:29
Hwy, I mean the "NightShot" that is standard on 80% of Sony's handheld camcorders today, they may have even of trademarked the name. Do you know what I mean?

And also, how is the Night Shot different from what our military uses?

hwyhobo
06-26-2004, 22:54
Originally posted by WolfmanGK
Hwy, I mean the "NightShot" that is standard on 80% of Sony's handheld camcorders today, they may have even of trademarked the name. Do you know what I mean?Since I do not use Sony camcorders, no, I wasn't aware it was a trade-name feature. I thought you may have referred to something generic.

Anyway, here is an explanation of it:

http://www.kaya-optics.com/devices/sony_nightshot.shtml

It was the first Google hit under "sony nightshot".

WolfmanGK
06-30-2004, 11:05
Originally posted by hwyhobo
Since I do not use Sony camcorders, no, I wasn't aware it was a trade-name feature. I thought you may have referred to something generic.

Anyway, here is an explanation of it:

http://www.kaya-optics.com/devices/sony_nightshot.shtml

It was the first Google hit under "sony nightshot".

Well thanks for finding that, I am sure it took a while. By the way, they sell infrared filters for the newer Sony "NightShot" cameras that allow you to see through clothing on ebay (No joke).

Nephilim
07-02-2004, 08:53
Well thanks for finding that, I am sure it took a while. By the way, they sell infrared filters for the newer Sony "NightShot" cameras that allow you to see through clothing on ebay (No joke).

Best I knew... that only worked on older sony cameras (like pre 1999) a friend of mine had one of the first night shot models and his worked like that with a filter. I thought they had tweaked the newer ones to avoid that little PR pitfall.

chevrofreak
07-02-2004, 11:44

I've seen videos, and it does indeed see through clothing ;P