Get me started please [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Get me started please

BlackPaladin
06-26-2004, 16:34
I would like to get a ham radio and since I know absolutly nothing about this topic I was hoping that someone could help me out.

1-How do I get a licence and where?

2-What is a good radio and where can I get it for how much?

3-Do any of you have any radios that you would be willing to part with for a good price?

4-antennas.. do I need a guge antenna or is there something small that will work decently?

5-I am in Minnesota kind of in the middle of nowhere see question above will I get a signal or is it gonna be all fuzzy?

KB4IFS
06-26-2004, 18:50
Chesck out the following site to start with. ARRL, American Radio Relay League. Then send me an e-mail. I'll try to help you along.

00Buck
06-27-2004, 21:01
If you are anywhere near St. Cloud there is a radio great radio club in your area. The Saint Cloud radio club has hamfests a couple of times a year where you can take the test or pick up equipment. They are a very active group and you could probably find some folks who would be happy to help you get started. The licenses are given by volunteer examiners and some clubs even have classes to help. The Saint Cloud Clubs web site is at http://www.w0sv.org/

Equipment and antennas depend on what what you are interested in doing. I have a small radio I carry in a back pack, take a wire antenna and hang it between 2 trees and talk all over the world when the conditions are right. You can get into it for a hundred bucks or less if you want to. Let me know if I can help answer anything else good luck.

Caretaker
06-28-2004, 19:54
Originally posted by BlackPaladin
I would like to get a ham radio and since I know absolutly nothing about this topic I was hoping that someone could help me out.

1-How do I get a licence and where?

2-What is a good radio and where can I get it for how much?

3-Do any of you have any radios that you would be willing to part with for a good price?

4-antennas.. do I need a huge antenna or is there something small that will work decently?

5-I am in Minnesota kind of in the middle of nowhere see question above will I get a signal or is it gonna be all fuzzy?

I'm kevin N1KGM, test center manager of the Connecticut Regional Testing Center and im licensed by the FCC as such to administer and run exams session for all levels of FCC Commercial and Amateur Radio Licenses. My webpage is at : http://www.441700.com and at that site are links to all kinds of manufacturers and dealers and such to al kinds of radios and antennas and accessories for the hobby of amateur radio. Also there is webpages to the two big testing Co-ordinators in the USA: www.w5yi.org and the www.arrl.org and at those two website you can find answers to all your amateur radio questions and also if you have any more questions you want to ask you can email me from my webpage, or on here, or whatever is easier and best for you.

good luck and enjoy. best wishes and 73.
kevin N1KGM;f ;f ;f