'83 Kawasaki 750 speedo question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : '83 Kawasaki 750 speedo question

carebear
06-30-2004, 01:10
Ya try to get out and they draw ya back in. I've been trying to cut down on my online time so I haven't been here on GT for a while. Unfortunately, I need information from the depths of esoterica and know that someone here always knows something about everything.

Just bought my first bike, an '83 KZ750 LTD for $300.00. It had been scuffed up but no real damage. The only casualty I couldn't replace was the speedo. The local Kawi shop wants $4-500 for one (must be gold parts).

Now, it's a mechanical device so there must be an aftermarket that'll work, but I don't have access to a manual and can't figure out the ratio to match it with a less expensive alternative. Can anyone out there give me a lead on my next step? I know there are part's catalogs and such but the counter people aren't real helpful when you try to ask about cheaper alternatives.

Anyone? Thanks.

Road Weazel
07-04-2004, 13:42
sells universal speedo's. Not sure if they have interchangable faces to make them match different drives. You could always paint the face yourself...

ClickClickBoom
07-16-2004, 13:32
http://www.oldkawman.com/ I stumbled across that website while looking for parts for my old KZ440 which I'm revamping to give to my brother.

fastvfr
07-26-2004, 00:40
Damn...talk about Deja Vu!

I had an '83 Spectre 750 with a dead speedo. Victim of a gentle laying-down, apparently...but that wasn't the only problem!

Sucker liked to pop out of second gear, too...my left leg bulged in front after a while from holding the %$#@*& thing in gear.

The starter killed Yuasa batteries regularly, too, and then it was push-start time. Bah.

I only had it for one season, then I traded it off on an '85 Honda 1100 Sabre...which was not only twice as powerful but had a speedo that worked--digital, even! I rode that until it burst into flames on fine fall day while I was just slowly toolin' around town. That sucked.

But the insurance money went toward my first VFR, a '97 750. Which was nearly twice as powerful as the 1100!

carebear
07-26-2004, 00:47
Still no luck. The old kawman site didn't have anything that NEW (?)

Ya want irony with that deja vu? I came out of church today and parked right up front was an '83 750 Spectre.

Guy came walking up before I could dig up a screwdriver though. ;)

I got mine as a "starter bike" anyway. Next season I'll upgrade. Looks like I'll just get the generic speedo from jc whitney for now.

Thanks for the help.

ClickClickBoom
07-27-2004, 04:33
1983 KZ750 should be fairly close to the late 70s 750s (900s/1000s) enough for the gauges to fit.