Anyone done any "hand to hand" combat? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone done any "hand to hand" combat?

SouthernGal
07-01-2004, 09:46
What I'm talking about here is without any weapon involved...

I had a pervert walk up to me as I was leaving a post office in my hometown back in 1990. This was a BM approx 5 feet tall, probably around the age of 14 or so. I'm approximately 5'3" and probably weighed about 100 pounds at the time.

I'd been working (I was a lifeguard at a local pool) and was on my way to job#2 at a grocery store. I was wearing my swimsuit top and a miniskirt. I stopped by the post office to drop a letter to my BF who was in USMC boot camp at the time.

Only one door at the post office opened at the time. I went in, mailed my letter and was on my way out when he was on his way in. We met in the doorway. He turned to me (he had this perverted smile on his face) and reached up to touch my chest. I knocked his hand away with my left hand. He reached up with the other hand and pinched (hard might I add) my left breast.

I drew back with my right and landed one on his nose. I hit him again and he went down in the doorway. The last time I saw him from the front seat of the car he was in the doorway and blood was coming out from in between his fingers. I hope I broke his nose.

I remember using an expletive as I left.

When I'm out drinking and having fun with guys this is one of my favorite stories. Men for some reason just find this hilarious. I can remember my daddy sending my brother and I out into the backyard to fistfight rather than doing it in the house. He'd sit on the porch and watch us go round and round. My brother is much larger than I am. I guess it was good practice, but there are still old school people out there who believe that "ladies don't fight."

Anybody else had something like this happen?

Melissa Ann
07-01-2004, 11:33
Oh yeah. BTW - GOOD JOB!!! And I hope you broke his nose too. ;f

March 8, 2002. I had gone to see “We Were Soldiers” and the next day was going to a 2-day shooting event a few hours away and went to the grocery store near my house around 11/1130 to pick up a few things for the trip. While in the store, I sort of bumped into this man, he smiled, I smiled, said hi, and went on my way. Our paths crossed a few more times. It’s a large store. As far as I could see, there were only him and I there as shoppers, and the cashier, and a stock boy or two. I got a weird feeling about how our paths kept crossing the way they were. So I went to check out. I left the store and being more aware these days, looked around, and noticed this man had exited the building too, with no groceries. The parking lot was virtually empty, save about 5 cars parked randomly. I tend to park under lights, but far from the storefront, to encourage me to walk. I started cursing that habit, thinking of it as a self-inflicted trap. I hastened my pace, and noticed he was on a diagonal path to intercept me. (I know now that I should have told the manager or someone about my suspiscions, at the time, I just wanted out of that place and to go home.)

Only about 15 feet left to get to my car. I started to think, “What do I have to use as a weapon, if I should need it?” The answer came back pretty grim: “I live in NJ, and the powers that be, don’t seem to want the people to be able to defend themselves, so there is no CCW here, I didn’t have a knife, I had always thought pepper spray was illegal (but very small containers are ok) tasers and stun guns are a big no-no. I had my keys, a surefire E2 (small flashlight), and two small water bottles. sigh. I looked for him and didn’t see him. This made me more nervous, I know I didn’t hear a car drive off. Where was he?? I opened the car door, through my groceries in and just as I went to sit down, the deep voice came from behind, “Can I help you with something?” My heart stopped. I turned around (now trapped in a triangular space between my car door, car and him) and politely yet firmly said, “No thank you, I’m fine. Please leave me alone.”

This man was about 6’2 or 3, probably 300 pounds or more, very muscular. His left hand was on the door, his right hand in his pocket. I was watching his right hand, afraid of what might be in the pocket with it. He took a step towards me, and I screamed (even though I knew there was no one around to hear). While he told me to be quiet, he took his hand from his pocket and revealed a folded pocketknife. I guess he was hoping that I’d cower under the threat of the knife, but I was NOT going to let this happen again. This man was about to wish he’d gone into a different “line of work.”

Instead of crumbling at the site of the knife, it charged me up. In a nano-second, a gazillion scenarios of what to do went through my mind, along with assessments: “that won’t work,” “I’m not strong enough to do that,” “wrong angle for that to work,” “he’d see that coming,” “that might work,” “time’s up, do SOMETHING!” So I kicked his kneecap, having heard that it only takes a few pounds of pressure to break that joint. I don’t think I kicked hard enough to dislocate it, but my reaction took him totally by surprise, and as he went down to grab his knee, cursing me loudly, I laced my fingers together and pretending his head was a volleyball, I delivered a set-shot to his jaw (I tried for his nose, but he moved). This impact, set him reeling upwards and backwards, at which time his jewels were left completely unprotected. Having learned a little something from watching football with my mom, and “What do you do on Fourth and Ten?” PUNT! And to borrow how a friend described what I did, I “deftly punted his gonads up between his ears and he dropped like a rock.”

While he was rolling around on the ground, I jumped in my car, locked the doors and started to drive away. I was soooo mad by his thinking he could take advantage of me in any way, I rolled the window down just a bit and (I think I heard him crying) I shouted “That will teach you to mess with a redhead!”

Yeah - it's good to have a few different "tools" in your toolbox of self-defense tricks. Guns/CCW, asps/batons, pepper spray/mace, and hand-to-hand, to name a few, and the mindset to be willing to use them - to do whatever you have to do to survive.

Be safe,
Melissa

Kolchak
07-08-2004, 05:20
Wow, you guys are GREAT. I hope I have the presence of mind to react the same way if I am ever put in that position. Thanks for posting your experiences.

vote Republican
07-08-2004, 07:31
Originally posted by SouthernGal
I was wearing my swimsuit top and a miniskirt.
I know my wife is going to read this, but...

Somehow that just caught my attention. I'm guessing it caught that guys attention, too.

:)

c-mama
07-08-2004, 08:15
Originally posted by Kolchak
Wow, you guys are GREAT. I hope I have the presence of mind to react the same way if I am ever put in that position. Thanks for posting your experiences.

I agree, thank you for sharing your experiences.

SouthernGal
07-08-2004, 08:19
Just because I was wearing a swimsuit top doesn't mean I want someone pinching or touching me. Go to Miami Beach and try it and see what happens. It's like taking your digital camera to a nude beach. :)

In case you are wondering, it did hurt. Think of how you'd hurt if you got grazed or had one of your testicles pinched really hard.

Anyway, the pervert got more than he bargained for. Dad always said if I schmacked my brother hard enough in the nose that it would not only bloody it, but it would make his eyes water to the point that he couldn't see and would also black his eyes. It's been a long time but I can still remember how badly my hand hurt after hitting his face.

There aren't that many girls out there who will actually "get physical" with other women, much less men. There's this stigma that it is uncultured and that "ladies don't do that." I made up my mind a long time ago that I wouldn't put up with it and would defend myself using any means possible.

My guy friends just think it is a hilarious story. There's no telling how many women in this town and this kid had to pick the one spitfire who'd punch him for doing something like that. Some of them even joke that this kid might have even thought it was worth it, but somehow I doubt it.

Melissa Ann
07-08-2004, 09:16
Just because I was wearing a swimsuit top doesn't mean I want someone pinching or touching me.
Absolutely. I don't have a figure that would allow me to wear clothes like that in public, but heck, if you've got it, flaunt it! (If I had it, I would ;) )People can look, but there's no need to touch.
There aren't that many girls out there who will actually "get physical" with other women, much less men. There's this stigma that it is uncultured and that "ladies don't do that."
I'd gladly live with the stigma of being the gal that kicked that guy's butt than the girl who got mugged. Or the girl who got raped. Or the girl who was murdered. I'm very glad to see you've adopted the same mindset. I wish other women would. That's one reason I plan to get my carry permit as soon as I get my PA driver's license. If someone should decide to mess with me, I hope to be able to change the career path of another loser. ;) I hope I never have to use it (CCW). I hope I never have to kick a guy in the testicles like that again. BUT, I will be prepared to do so, if the need should show itself.

Take care, stay safe.

vote Republican
07-09-2004, 08:27
Just because I was wearing a swimsuit top doesn't mean I want someone pinching or touching me. Go to Miami Beach and try it and see what happens. It's like taking your digital camera to a nude beach. :)

Oh, I know- if someone did that to my wife or daughter, I would expect them to cause pain, then I'd happily contribute a baseball bat whomping to the cause.

Maimi Beach, eh?
:cool:

SouthernGal
07-09-2004, 09:15
Originally posted by vote Republican
Oh, I know- if someone did that to my wife or daughter, I would expect them to cause pain, then I'd happily contribute a baseball bat whomping to the cause.

Maimi Beach, eh?
:cool:

Miami Beach is one of the only public beaches where you can actively see women in particular with VERY little clothing on. Don't get me wrong, there are other "pockets" around the US where you can push the limits on lack of clothing, but this is one of the most well-known. The ex went there three weeks after the divorce was finalized and came back with lots of pics of boobs. Figures, huh?

Rest assured though just because these women are showing it all doesn't mean they want it touched.

bigjim
07-09-2004, 15:44
Congratulations to you ladies for defending yourselves. Don't feel guilty, you rock!!

I constantly worry about my female relatives and friends because I know that most of them would be absolutely helpless against a full grown man.

For whatever reason, many women don't "get" fighting, guns, etc. The more of you that share stories like this, the more women who may slowly realize that sometimes they have to get a little nasty on someone who sorely needs it.

coastalcop
07-13-2004, 08:29
Carefully examine your body, every place something moves to a limit is a place that can be exploited. Women on average are more aware of their bodies than men are, utilize this advantage. If you can figure out where the body moves, and moreimportantly where it doesnt , you have begun to understand where things can go wrong for the aggressor. Learn what happens to the body when these limits are pressed, how does it move, where does it go? Combat is Far more like dancing than most people realize, and women are by and far better dancers than men (stereotype i know , but supported by observation)

Truths

Men will be stronger in the upper body than women (thats the norm)
Women will be stronger from the hips down then men (thats the norm)

Anyone off balance is vulnerable, and its easier to destabilize men than women (go back to that strength thing)

Women as a rule have a higher pain tolerance than men (Iwill NEVER go through childbirth, thank you for taking up that burden)

learn to balance, learn to dance, and learn your body.

Examine what you are willing to do to another person, for some that is to submit, for others it is to gouge out eyes, look inside yourself and determine BEFORE it happens where you fall, and tailor you training and response accordingly ( not enough trainers keep this in mind, if I teach you a great way to maim someone, but you arent willing to do it in the real world, then we have both wasted our time)

ACT WITH AGGRESSION, your plan isnt to survive, your plan is to WIN

Thank you for sharing your experiences, it helps others to know that surprise and aggression WILL win out in most circumstances (Thats why when I do a raid, it utilizes surprise and violence of action, and it WORKS)

No I did not recommend taking training, do it yourself, and if you think you need help read, or post here, training might be an option down the road, BUT you need a basic understanding so that you can separate the BS from what works.

What I use looks like Ballet in training, and more like Three Stooges in practice, but it works for me EVERY TIME.

As far as "Lady like" goes, thats for gentlemen , NOT dirtbags.

OH BTW , yeah I am a guy, just wanted to add my .02

MrsKitty
07-13-2004, 16:36
;d ;d ;d

I want more people to see this, so here is a bump ;)

Great job ya'll and nice post costalcop.

Gambino
07-16-2004, 16:10
I'm proud that those of you that have posted your incidents here were successful in ending the attack. I think that all women should be able to defend themselves against strangers as described in these posts as well as in domestic violence situations.
I just think that it would be so cool for a lady that has been the victim of a lot of domestic violence to just kick the crap out of her domestic partner. (Sort of like the movie J-LO plays in)

My wife was the victim of a lot of violence in a previous relationship before we met. I can only hope that the old BF comes around now. She will kick his ???. (Not to mention what I would do for him being that I am a former Professional Wrestler)

Gambino
07-21-2004, 07:43
Oh yeah, the movie with J-Lo is Enough.

FThorn
07-21-2004, 08:07

In case you are wondering, it did hurt. Think of how you'd hurt if you got grazed or had one of your testicles pinched really hard.

No comparison can be made.

reinbeau
07-25-2004, 18:51
Originally posted by FThorn
No comparison can be made. Who says? When was the last time your breast was pinched. Hard. It's extremely painful. No smiley here.

SouthernGal
07-26-2004, 09:07
Originally posted by reinbeau
Who says? When was the last time your breast was pinched. Hard. It's extremely painful. No smiley here.

No smiley here either. Hurts like hell.

Melissa Ann
07-26-2004, 10:11
Having your breasts pinched hard does hurt, no doubt about it, but I've never seen that cause a woman to double over in pain. I've seen a woman haul off and deck the fella who did the pinching, but not drop to her knees in paralizing agony. I think the guys have us on this one and I personally believe that a guys' testicles are more sensitive than our breasts.

Melissa

clubsoda22
07-30-2004, 17:56
a severe enough hit to the male testicles can cause shock and even death.

carebear
07-30-2004, 22:03
Even a mild hit can make you wish for death. ;g

It's easier to fight through the immediate pain of even a real (damage to bone/joint/muscle) injury than a good groin strike. In my experience anyway.

Ironically, that's why it isn't, in practice, the magic bullet for self-defense it is usually described as. Most guys, good or bad, learned early to cover up and deflect if they get any hint the "boys" are a target. Talk about spider-sense. ;f

Gotta throw in a softening technique, then attack.

BikerGoddess
07-31-2004, 09:05
I think it's great that you successfully defended yourselves. Great stories.

I would be interested in finding out what those guys saw that made them think they could get away with it. I've either been really lucky or have somehow conveyed that anyone messing with me wasn't going to like the outcome. I'm sure I've been in situations that could have turned bad, but so far, nothing has.

Laura

P.S. Joggers can apparently be mistaken for hookers ;m

murph2127
07-31-2004, 09:25
Melissa gets a "scared kitten" look about her from time to time and I'm sure that's what the guy saw when he picked her for a potential victim. Fortunately, the sight of the knife gave her the jump start she needed, having been attacked at knife point many years ago, she was not going to let that sort of thing happen to her again. From that point on, I'm sure the fellow was thinking about a change of career.

Ted

Grim Jackal
08-04-2004, 03:23
I'm a former Marine, now in the Sheriff's Deputy where I live. My wife is a Former Sheriff's Deputy, we met on the job. I laugh when someone asks me if I would stick up for my wife, hell, I'm afraid of her at times.;P
Seriously though, woman are usually underestimated by an attacker, and because of that, woman have the advantage. Now just make sure you have the skills to exploit the advantage. Brazilian Jiu-jitsu is a very good self defense art to learn. It doesn't matter your sex, weight or height. It deals with joint manipulation and leverage. Once you become profiecient in it, you can break bones using leverage, not brute strength and escape just about any hold someone places on you. But like anything, heart and the desire to prevail are what you trully need, without those two things all the training in the world is still useless.

Melissa Ann
08-04-2004, 08:53
I've been learning Aikido recently. Well, my boyfriend's taking the classes, then comes to show me what he learned at dojo. :lol

Melissa

williegee
08-06-2004, 11:27
About ten years ago, my sister got her black belt in Tae Kwon Do. I naturally started giving her a bunch of grief about how it was pretty much useless and how she is only deceiving herself into thinking she could now defend herself. I was only kidding but I just wanted to get a rise out of her. It's my job ,I'm her brother! I was tring to get her going and I succeeded. My mistake! Now, you have to understand, my sister is only about 5 ft. tall and 100 lbs. soaking wet with a 5 lb. weight in each pocket. She pulled her right fist back and punched me in the arm so hard that if she hadn't been my sister, I probably would have started crying. I can only imagine how much damage she could have done if she punched me in the face. I never teased her about her Martial Arts again!;g

JAREDG21
08-10-2004, 20:04
The idea that ladies don't fight is such BS. I applaude any woman who fights back. If anyone attacks you do as much damage as humanly possible. I will never think less of a woman who will defend herself.

ms_iron
08-16-2004, 10:59
This is a great thread and in reading it I had to think back hard especially 25+ years ago and realized I've had some violent encounters which I guess I never gave much thought to since its my nature to defend and react pissed and violent to violence inflicted on me. They were just normal reactions for me but now I see not all people can or do react that way. I realize now that I have always lived in yellow mode.

When I was 22, lived alone and woke one morning at 3am, I don't know what woke me up, I was on my living room couch. When I opened my eyes in the dark I realized there was a huge and he looked huge, guy standing over me... I went auto ballistic screaming, swinging and grabbing at anything and hitting him, he ran through my bedroom and ran into the tall dresser and took it to the floor, he managed to make it out the front door. They caught him, he had broken in my front door. When I saw him in court he was huge, even the woman DA said to me, my god he is very large. My only advantage in the dark was knowing my place and he didn't.

Just 3 nights ago at 4am I was driving home from work on a desolate narrow road and my radar went on to allot of cars parked on the right side of the road (they were never there) in all the years I have driven this road never, so I slowed down very slow as I locked my doors and put the drivers window up 3/4 of the way and this big man steps out of one of the cars, holding his hand up in the stop position, so now I have to stop or hit him, I stopped and put my car in reverse and slowly backed away as hes walking toward the passenger door of my car and I stepped on it going forward to pass him. I was so mad this guy scared me like that, as I drove by him I screamed at the top of my lungs with my mouth up to the open part of my window 'FU, you got the wrong person' I don't know what possessed me to say those exact words except I was pissed.

I was so worked up now that I took a side street off that street not realizing it was a dead end, now I'm thinking 'oh now what' what if he saw me and knows I'm on a dead end so turned my lights off, I put my G on my lap and pulled out my cell phone and peered though trees to see headlights go on and a car turned around leaving my direction. I waited a few minutes then left the dead end that I got stuck on and made it home safely. I'm still wondering what that guy was doing?

SouthernGal
08-16-2004, 14:20
Originally posted by ms_iron
When I was 22, lived alone and woke one morning at 3am, I don't know what woke me up, I was on my living room couch. When I opened my eyes in the dark I realized there was a huge and he looked huge, guy standing over me... I went auto ballistic screaming, swinging and grabbing at anything and hitting him, he ran through my bedroom and ran into the tall dresser and took it to the floor, he managed to make it out the front door. They caught him, he had broken in my front door. When I saw him in court he was huge, even the woman DA said to me, my god he is very large. My only advantage in the dark was knowing my place and he didn't.

This would have absolutely scared the living ***** out of me. This is my single worst fear these days--waking up to someone standing over you and knowing that you are the only one who can save you.

I had a suspicious knock on my door this weekend at all hours of the night (read: 2:30am) and I went to the door armed. This has to be the single thing I think about the most. I don't know that I could take on a big guy like you describe and come out of it without the aid of a weapon.

Melissa Ann
08-17-2004, 07:22
A weapon in that situation could be a candlestick, a vase, a wine or beer bottle, anything you can reach that will surprise him because you reacted in a "Get-the-F-outta-here" way vs lay-down-and-give-up.

Heard tell of a teenager in my development opening his front door to a knock. The fellow who did the knocking, kicked the door in and fired a shot into the house, then ran off.

A couple days ago, we were cruising in the bad parts of the county, so I'd know where not to go and if I got lost and ended up there, I'd have some idea how to get out. All went fine. Approaching my home, there were all these flashing lights and strings of "Police Crime Tape" stopping traffic. Come to find out a husband shot and killed his wife's lover outside a little tavern. It was about 4 blocks from my house. With all the cops at the scene, it made for ripe pickins for any would-be robber in the neighborhood. Boyfriend was carrying in the house, and we were both in condition orange.

Anytime there's a knock at the door and we're not expecting someone, the door is answered with the other of us close by with mossy ready for action. Typically, it's a safe neighborhood, but you never know. Being aware and prepared is the only way to stay safe. Well, luck sometimes works too, but I've never been that lucky. lol

Stay safe y'all.

saspic
08-22-2004, 00:55
Another cool self defense system is krav maga http://www.kravmaga.com/Home/home.html
I've been taking it for two years and have witnessed many females who have awesome power that would easily be the match for any unprepared attacker. Then again, I've also witnessed many poorly performing women who convinced themselves that they "couldn't" adopt the proper stance or hit the target with their full power.
Next Saturday I will be a student volunteer at a one day women only seminar. According to the instructors, women sometimes need to be convinced it's appropriate for them to go into that violent, destructive mode when self preservation is at stake. But, they say, the most reluctanct women often unleash the worst beat downs on the poor guy in the Redman suit.
;R
I highly recommend Krav for any woman interested in defensive and basic striking techniques. Many schools even have weekly women only classes (Wednesday & Saturday at ours). They always seem to have a lot of fun in there.

Nephilim
08-29-2004, 01:02
Originally posted by Melissa Ann
Having your breasts pinched hard does hurt, no doubt about it, but I've never seen that cause a woman to double over in pain. I've seen a woman haul off and deck the fella who did the pinching, but not drop to her knees in paralizing agony. I think the guys have us on this one and I personally believe that a guys' testicles are more sensitive than our breasts.

Melissa

I'm not sure if more sensitive is the way to say it... its how the pain effects you.

I've been pinched -really- hard. In the martial arts training I do... we use flesh grabs, that can tear the muscle fiber clean off the bone. Its intense-shoots-to-your-eyes kind of pain.

Getting kicked in the nuts is a different kind of pain. Sometimes it doesn't even hurt for the first few seconds... then there is shooting pain that goes right into your chest cavity that feels like you're violently ill and dizzy at the same time. The crappiest part about it is that the pain really lingers. You'll probably feel that "about the vomit" flu feeling for a couple hours. It sucks!

DaleGribble
09-05-2004, 02:52
I tried teaching my wife the PPCT and pressure point control techniques that I learned in the academy. After a while we both realized that most of the moves were pretty useless for her. So I just taught her how to use her palm heels, her feet, her knees and her elbows to strike with, and she's gotten pretty good at it.

She's also gotten pretty confident since she learned how to fight. A while back she was sexually harassed at work. The first time it happend she just told him to stop and never do it again. She didn't report it because she actually liked the guy up until he touched her, and she just dismissed him as being an overly affectionate old man. The second time it happend, she told him she was about to kick his ass!

Weston
09-07-2004, 01:31
Just because I was wearing a swimsuit top doesn't mean I want someone pinching or touching me....

What you did was dangerous. What happened is a blessing. What you wear is your business. And if your end game is to engage an opponent in close quarters, hand-to-hand so to speak, you need to practice techniques and a mental state that is suited to your body type, strengths and weaknesses under the tutelage of professionals.