SpaceShipOne [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : SpaceShipOne

Junkyard Dawg
07-02-2004, 09:02
The link below will take you to the story and photos of the recent flight of SpaceShipOne. The page is sized at 1024x768, so you may wish to resize your display to make for easier viewing.

http://www.richard-seaman.com/Aircraft/AirShows/SpaceShipOne2004/index.html

Patriot328
07-02-2004, 09:35
Fixing the link for ya (http://www.richard-seaman.com/Aircraft/AirShows/SpaceShipOne2004/index.html)

;e

Texas T
07-02-2004, 18:53
Great pictures. Thanks for the link.

I got to see the Beech Starship in action around 1989 or so at the Livermore (LVK) airshow. Beautiful airplane, but I think it was just too far ahead of its time.

M2 Carbine
07-02-2004, 21:10
It's got to be weird looking through those port holes.

Wulfenite
07-03-2004, 16:16
I read somewhere that those portholes are strategically placed so that in the various flight regimes the horizon will be centered in certian windows when the correct angle of attack is achieved.

Kind of a visual flight director I guess.

Tennessee Slim
07-05-2004, 08:17
And they’re round because corners would give stresses a place to concentrate.

As for the Starship, it wasn’t the timing, it was Beech’s production decisions that screwed it up.

Wulfenite
07-05-2004, 11:08
Originally posted by Tennessee Slim
As for the Starship, it wasn’t the timing, it was Beech’s production decisions that screwed it up.

It was my understanding that since the Starship was the first transport category planes the FAA certified with a glass composite structure they forced Beach to go way overboard on safety margins (not to mention blowing Beach's design budget). The resulting craft cost too much to make and didnt have enough usefull load to be econoimically viable.

Santa CruZin
07-09-2004, 12:12
You'll notice White Knight has the same circular glass pieces as SS1, they built WK with the intent of using it as a trainer for the SS1 pilot. They replicated nearly everything from the pilot's perspective.

Alex_Knight and I had a great time watching the June 21 flight from Mojave Airport.