View Full Version : gmail is too creepy

ronin_asano
07-03-2004, 15:43
more on the privacy concerns.

i know some of you don't care, but you should be aware:

http://www.gmail-is-too-creepy.com/

AZMAN
07-03-2004, 16:49
I am aware....and I do care. Does it worry me? Not yet.

I still say the best deal out there is the yahoo mail plus.

2gigs of space and pop access for $19.99 a year, AND they don't have any ads or scan your messages.
http://mailplus.mail.yahoo.com/

By the way I have a gmail account but don't use it.

My primary account is my free yahoo account.

ronin_asano
07-04-2004, 08:42
gmail is my spam catcher. i have a free yahoo account that i don't use much.

my primary webmail account is at postman.net.

Alpha752
07-04-2004, 10:27
I have gmail, and am using it. I like it so far. Its diffrent than im used to, but so far so good.

I am not a terrorist, nor am I insunating that any of you are either. I do not talk about sensative issues through email, google or otherwise. I ignore the ads on the pages, after a couple times, you dont see them anymore. So, forigive my ignorance, but why would any scanning (Done by computer, not people) of email for ad reasons cause me to worry.

This is a real question, not sarcasm. I truly dont understand why there is such big hype over the Gmail thing. I scanned over the link above, and it didnt shed any light. Can anyone help me understand?

ronin_asano
07-04-2004, 15:05
the issue to me is simply one of privacy. if you make an informed decision about using gmail, knowing that the mail is scanned, and you don't mind, that's one thing. but i would guess there a many people who don't know about that issue, they just want a gmail account for that gig of storage.

i'm not a terrorist or other type of law breaker either, but you must remember privacy rights were not created to protect criminals. they were created to protect people like you and i, and sometimes they end up protecting criminals.

it's for this same type of thing that i will not use those grocery store discount cards. when you scan your card, then every item you purchased is logged in a db. now why in the hell does harris teeter need to know how much orange juice i buy? they don't.

gmail is the same type of thing.

i tried, it's okay but i dont' find it to be anythign special. i'll probably end letting my account go dormant, but i did promise a few friends some invites, if they ever give me any more, that is.

Texas T
07-04-2004, 16:28
Originally posted by ronin_asano
the issue to me is simply one of privacy. if you make an informed decision about using gmail, knowing that the mail is scanned, and you don't mind, that's one thing. but i would guess there a many people who don't know about that issue, they just want a gmail account for that gig of storage.
I think there is a fine line here. For people that are serious about their privacy, PGP or something similar is the only way to go. If you aren't going to use that type of encryption to protect your messages, then they are wide open to people such as myself and my techs that had full access to the mail server upon which your mail resided until you picked it up.

What should you be more concerned about, me reading your mail, or some machine reading it and placing an advertisement next to your inbox? I would suggest that you should be more concerned about me (or others that have access to your info). So my feeling about this is that if people are not using encryption on every message, they have nothing to complain about regarding other's use of gmail.

As to people not knowing about gmail, well, that is their own fault. This has been discussed at length not only in the tech news but in the mass media as well. In addition, Google does not try to hide this from the user when they sign up, so if a user decides not to read all the info about what they are in for, they have no one to blame but themselves. Personal responsibility and all that. :)

Alpha752
07-05-2004, 11:36
Originally posted by ronin_asano

i'm not a terrorist or other type of law breaker either, but you must remember privacy rights were not created to protect criminals. they were created to protect people like you and i, and sometimes they end up protecting criminals.

it's for this same type of thing that i will not use those grocery store discount cards. when you scan your card, then every item you purchased is logged in a db. now why in the hell does harris teeter need to know how much orange juice i buy? they don't.

gmail is the same type of thing.

i tried, it's okay but i dont' find it to be anythign special. i'll probably end letting my account go dormant, but i did promise a few friends some invites, if they ever give me any more, that is.

Thanks for your reply. I deffinitly understand the issue of privacy, and I respect your, and everyones, desire to keep theres. If someone was tapping my phone, or had a spy cam in my house, I would have issue with that. I guess I still have to fall back to, what harm can email scanning cause. I do believe 100% that Google should, and does, explain to everyone about this practice. We do have the right to be informed, and I appreciate Google bringing this information to our attention. There are many lesser companies that would keep this in the dark (and im sure some still do). I can not see any negative comming from them scanning my email (with computers, not people, as I understand it, the process is totally automated).

Same with the grocery store card. It is a little wierd that "they" know all of my food purchases (I do use the card), but I dont see how I can be harmed with this information.

I guess its a very fine line. I understand the right, and preference of privacy, like I said earlier, I dont want someone watching me at home. But, on the other hand, I dont see any negatives from it.

Thank you for explaining your opinion on this topic. It is a grey area, I guess its, "to each his own". Have a great day.

Russ

gudel
07-05-2004, 11:44
if you put keyword in email like sex, penile, will it send you the dickpump deal? ;f
man i receive plenty of those emails everyday.

ronin_asano
07-05-2004, 17:19
i wondered the same thing.

Creeper1313
07-08-2004, 10:22
Just limit your use of gmail to talking about guns and you'll never get any advertisments. (Google refuses to let any firearms-related companies advertise with them) ;a