Novell Linux Suse Ximian Resource Kit [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Novell Linux Suse Ximian Resource Kit

biblefreak
07-04-2004, 12:41
http://www.novell.com/community/linux/order.php

Just got my email that mine is on the way. I signed up about 1 week ago. Didn't know if everybody else was aware of this offering or not.

From the Novell Website:

Novell Customer Communities

Linux Technical Resource Kit

order form

We appreciate your interest in the Linux Technical Resource Kit, offered by the Novell Customer Communities. This comprehensive, resource contains all the Linux software and services you need, to be able to evaluate Novell's core Linux offerings. With over 10GB of fully-functional software, this tool will help you test and evaluate Linux products from Novell in your home test lab.

- SUSE LINUX Standard Server 8.0 (ISO Installation Images)
- SUSE LINUX 9.1 Professional (Bootable Installation DVD)
- Ximian Desktop 2.0 Evaluation (ISO Image)
- Ximian Red Carpet 2.0.2 Evaluation (ISO Image)
- Novell Linux Services 1.0 (ISO Image & NLS Companion CD)
- Novell GroupWise for Linux 6.5.1 - Server, Client & Messenger (ISO Images)
- and more...

saber41
07-04-2004, 14:05
I got my email a little over a week ago, I'm still waiting for the software to arrive...;a

saber41
07-07-2004, 07:56
I got my Resource Kit packet yesterday.
3 DVD's
I haven't had the opportunity to try them out yet but they appear to be full editions. The condition being that they cannot be used in a production environment. You only get the disks and no docs.

Tennessee Slim
07-07-2004, 08:37
I don't see anything about $$$. Does that pop up later if I start filling out the order form? Surely this isn't a freebie? Will the Leenuks only run in conjunction with a Novell network or will they also work stand-alone?

biblefreak
07-07-2004, 14:12
It is intended to entice people to use their products. Som eare limited versions such as the Ximian Desktop, but the Suse 9.1 Pro is free and full, plus the 8.2 server is free and fully functioning. I am curious what the "other" apps are? Maybe Saber can tell us when he fires them up!!

I have been using the Suse 9.1 FTP edition and really like it. This is one I think I will keep. I have also been using Xandros, and let me tell you, this seems to be the distro for Windows users who are scared of Linux. It is unbeleivably easy to use, maybe even better than XP if you don't need Shockwave or DirectX. Those are the two things that keep my home box triple booting.

Tennessee Slim
07-07-2004, 15:08
Right you are. I just ordered one myself. Apparently the only Quid Pro Quo is info you give them (but I lied thru my teeth).

biblefreak
07-07-2004, 20:50
Mine came in the mail today. Just finished getting Suse all booted up. Working on my updates, then I am going to play with Ximian.

Looks good so far!

saber41
07-08-2004, 10:52
Looks like the deal is over,
Novell is not accepting anymore orders for the Linux Technical Resource Kit at this time.
Good thing we got our orders in when we did !! :)

Tennessee Slim
07-30-2004, 11:00
Has anyone received their kit? I got the confirmatory E-mail on 7-7 but as yet no package.

saber41
07-30-2004, 18:43
Originally posted by Tennessee Slim
Has anyone received their kit? I got the confirmatory E-mail on 7-7 but as yet no package.

Yep....I received my kit,
3 DVD's,
IIRC I waited several weeks after getting the email to finally receive the kit.

saber41
08-24-2004, 10:45
Its Back...It's Back !!...

For a limited time only,
Novell is shipping the Linux Technical Resource Kit again.

This time the kit includes SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9.0
(updated from server 8) plus the full version of SUSE 9.1 Pro

get 'em before they're gone...
http://www.novell.com/community/linux/order_limited.php

NetNinja
08-25-2004, 14:50
Buahahah.

Anybody want copies?

Oh wait I can't make copies they are in DVD format and I don't have a DVD burner :(

bobby_w
08-25-2004, 16:51
Mines coming. Got email notification.

And I can burn DVD's.

Tennessee Slim
08-25-2004, 17:22
No E-mail, no nuttin'. ;1

lomfs24
08-25-2004, 17:28
THANKS for the links guys. I got one ordered. I got an email right after my order that said they would ship in 7-10 days. I don't know if I will get another email when it does ship or not.

Thanks everyone.

metallic
08-25-2004, 18:28
Awesome, ordered the kit even though I'm a Gentoo guy. I have a couple of spare servers around that I could put this to use on.

hwyhobo
08-25-2004, 21:38
I am tempted, but one thing that scares me is the disclaimer:
The preceding information will be used only by Novell, Inc. and its affiliates to improve future benefits and services provided to the Linux community. The information collected herein may be used to personalize the delivery of information and services to your specific business needs.The key word here is "affiliates." We're talking spam city up the wazoo. Of course, it's only for the benefit of the Linux community... ;P

hwyhobo
08-25-2004, 21:40
Oh, what the heck, I already get 400+ spams a day. At least here I will get something for it. Besides, as a former Novellite, I don't mind promoting their products.

lomfs24
08-25-2004, 21:41
Originally posted by hwyhobo
The key word here is "affiliates." We're talking spam city up the wazoo. Of course, it's only for the benefit of the Linux community... ;P

So pop on over to hotmail, yahoo, or any one of a million places to get a free email account and order your copy.

edit-- On second thought, make sure to get a hotmail account. Let the spam roll on the MSN network.

metallic
08-25-2004, 21:42
The key word here is "affiliates." We're talking spam city up the wazoo. Of course, it's only for the benefit of the Linux community... ;P

So, just delete them. I doubt the number of "affiliates" would be large and I'm sure you can easily opt out of future mailings. For me, what I'm getting in return far outways any temporary inconvenience I may incur.

hwyhobo
08-25-2004, 21:44
Originally posted by metallic
So, just delete them. I doubt the number of "affiliates" would be large and I'm sure you can easily opt out of future mailings. For me, what I'm getting in return far outways any temporary inconvenience I may incur. Read three posts up. :)

metallic
08-25-2004, 21:50
Read three posts up. :)

Wow, didnt think I had taken that long to formulate a response. Here's to the wonderful effects of beer ;f

hwyhobo
08-25-2004, 22:45
;Y

David_G17
08-26-2004, 13:42
david g17,

Thank you for ordering the Linux Technical Resource Kit from the Novell Customer
Communities. Your order has been received, and will ship within the next 7-10
business days.

This comprehensive Novell Linux collection includes the following on 3 DVDs (10
GB):

- SUSE Linux Professional 9.1 (Bootable Installation DVD)
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9 (ISO Installation Images)
- SUSE Linux Professional 8.2 (Installation ISO images for use with Ximian
Desktop)
- Ximian Desktop 2.0 Evaluation (ISO Image)
- Red Carpet 2.0.2 Evaluation (ISO Image)
- GroupWise for Linux 6.5.1 - Server, Client & Messenger (ISO Images)
- Novell Nterprise Linux Services 1.0 (ISO Image & NLS Companion CD)
- And more...

Please contact kwright@novell.com if you have any questions about your order.

Sincerely,
Novell Customer Communities

lomfs24
08-26-2004, 16:40
Just a question here. I have never used software off of DVD. Can you pull software off of it and burn it to a regular CD? And how does it install? Can your computer boot off of a DVD?

metallic
08-26-2004, 17:06
Originally posted by lomfs24
Just a question here. I have never used software off of DVD. Can you pull software off of it and burn it to a regular CD? And how does it install? Can your computer boot off of a DVD?

If you have a combination DVD and CD-ROM drive then it shouldnt be any problem at all. If not, you'll need to go into your BIOS and make sure your DVD drive is checked for a boot record before your hard drive. Should be called something like "Boot order" within the BIOS.

lomfs24
09-15-2004, 08:20
I got my DVD's yesterday. I got Suse Enterprise loaded on my friends "test" machine. It doesn't look much different than Pro 9.1 or 9.

What's the difference between Standard, Pro and Enterprise?

metallic
09-15-2004, 09:00
Still waiting on mine. Who knows, maybe Suse will replace my distro of choice(Gentoo). Hopefully one of my roommates didnt grab it if it came in the mail.