View Full Version : Deer vs SST's?
Is the 150 grain SST bullet to light for deer? What has been your experience with the SST line and should I go to a 165 grain SST or different bullet? How well does it expand, ect? Thanks Esox357
Many people in my area hunt deer with 150 grain--its great--as for the sst--i dont know.
I havn't used the SST for a centerfire yet (plan to soon) but have used the SST in a .50 ML. Excellent accuracy & penetration. The deer dropped in his tracks.
150 grains is a good weight in my opion for whitetails.
i don't really know about the SST's. i haven't ever tried them. do you have any info about them?
about the 150 grain round, i am surprised at how many people feel like they have to shoot 150, 165, 180 grain bullets to hunt whitetail. i have been using 130gr federal premium sierra game trackers (soft tipped, boat tail) for the last 10 years or so and have never had a problem knocking a deer down with that. i am talking deer upwards of 200lbs and more. over 95% of the time, the deer fold where they are hit. the other 5% don't go more than 20 yards or so. i have also killed several hogs over 300lbs with this same round. the problem i have seen with using the heavier grain rounds is that often times you loose a considerable amount of meat.
why do people feel like they need a round this heavy? (no flame inteneded with this post, i would sincerely like to know.)
The 150gr SST is just about perfect on deer. Depending on your locals average deer size, the 150gr SST and 165gr SST are all that's needed. Anything much heavier will not yield you quicker kills but will yield you less usable meat. I have not had one problem with 150gr SST on ten or eleven deer, save for one last year that I goofed up and completely missed!;Q
My experience with SST's is a little different. I used them in the 180 grain weight out of a 300 Win. Velocity around 3150. They totally exploded and did not penetrate the opposite side of the chest cavity on broadside shots at ranges from 150 yds to 400yds. All the animals I shot or witnessed shot with them were large mule deer.
I believe they would be ok for 308 velocities but not magnum velocities. I switched back to nosler partitions and sierra gamekings.
I would like to see what they would do on mule deer at 2600fps.
I wont use them on elk at all.
I believe I was simply using them in a matter in which they were not designed to operate.
Just my $.02
Thanks, I will give them a try, is there any other bullets you would recommend that have given you the lighting bolt effect from a 06? Esox357
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2013, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.