Some help with router config please [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Some help with router config please

ThinkOfTheChildren
07-05-2004, 20:34
Hi all,
I'm using a Linksys router to connect three computers (all running XP) to the internet using a PPPoE DSL connection. The computers surf the net, play net games, and print/share files with each other. Those are the only features I need on this 'network.'

With that said, what settings would you recommend I change in the below screenshot? I looked at the help file but it contains circular explanations that really don't help me.

Example of their amazing explanatory abilities:
IPSec Pass Through, PPTP Pass Through, PPPoE Pass Through:
This Router supports IPSec / PPTP and PPPoE pass through. You can either 'Enable' or 'Disable' these options.

In the last few days, the net has been slowing down to crawl speed for all three computers and some net services have even stopped working. The router was doing fine before so it would seem weird that all of a sudden the settings aren't proper, but I'd still like your opinions on how I should be configuring the firewall.

SamBuca
07-05-2004, 20:41
IPSec, PPTP and PPPOE may be disabled if you'd like...won't really make a difference because you don't use them.

Any particular reason why you changed the MTU size?

Remember...installing popup blockers, and loads of anti-spyware, anti-virus, et al software will ruin your machine...so will applying a zillion settings to try to "protect" yourself. Did you do any of that media hype stuff?

ThinkOfTheChildren
07-05-2004, 20:50
Thanks, Sam. The MTU was set that way when I plugged it in... at least... I think it was. I don't remember changing it or having any reason to. I guess I'll set it to auto.

In regards to overprotection, all three computers are running symantec corporate antivirus and all three go through ad-aware scans every once in a while, but none run popup blockers or any live stuff except the virus protection.

SamBuca
07-05-2004, 20:57
Sounds like you have the network pretty solid.

Call your DSL company and ask them to perform a check on the line and see at what speed the modem negotiates. Slow performance is usually due to telephones being used on the line, lots of extensions, or maybe just a bad run. Your ISP's network could be overloaded. Different devices in your house can also affect DSL modems (like a TiVo dialing home) or a large array of flourescent lights near the line.

Sprint is the monopoly here in Carlisle...we're all forced to use nothing but Sprint for voice and data. They're overloaded, the lines are always noisy, and the service is terrible....but all that aside, speed problems are usually line related.

physicsdevil
07-07-2004, 00:33
Run a few traceroutes to random sites and check for latency at your ISP or your ISPs peering partners. Run them when you're getting good throughput as well as when you're getting bad throughput. If you can see consistent latency, you can stop looking at your local network as the problem.

gudel
07-07-2004, 00:37
which linksys router is this? i don't have the web filter deal on my WRT54G and WRT54GS.

ThinkOfTheChildren
07-07-2004, 16:38
gudel,
it is a BEFSX41 --> http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=34&scid=29&prid=433

I've found that it is, in fact, the router that is choking my connection. I took all the computers off the router and put them back on a basic switch and they all worked great. Put them back on the router and they were choked again. Updated the firmware on the router, which made no difference, and then reset the router back to all the factory defaults, which also made no difference.

For now, all machines are back on the regular switch since the router is killing their connections. It's really weird, the router most severly affects messaging services such as AIM or MSN messenger. When my machine is behind the router, for example, and I try to sign on IM, it will say it's connecting, verifying my pwd, then it will just hang at "starting services" and eventually give up. Regular internet browsing is varied, with some success going to popular sites such as Google, but completely timing out when trying to get to more obscure sites.

If you guys can give any other suggestions as to why the router might be doing this, I'd appreciate it very much. Like I said, this has only recently become a problem and even defaulting the settings on the router (which is how it was running fine before) hasn't made any noticeable difference.

gudel
07-07-2004, 17:05
what version is your firmware? you probably have the 1.50.18. there's another, 1.51.00.
it says it's to fix:

- The bug called "ICMP-based trace route utility crashes the router" is now fixed
- The bug called "Enabling MTU blocks internet traffic" is now fixed

try it out http://pages.infinit.net/flogator/