Anyone ever fly supersonic? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever fly supersonic?

E__WOK
07-05-2004, 20:37
What does the pilot hear if anything(engine sounds) since they are moving faster than the speed of sound? How loud does it get in the cockpit?

FB3
07-06-2004, 10:17
I did my share of supersonic flying in the Air Force. Actually it is a non event in modern aircraft designed to operate in the transonic speed range. There is no change in sound level and no change in feeling/vibration. About the only way you know when you go supersonic is by observing the Mach indicator, and a slight bump in some pitot/static instruments.

When flying formation, in the right light the shockwave may be seen on the other aircraft, and flying into it (the shockwave) causes a slight buffet.

Sure burns fuel though.

lcarreau
07-06-2004, 10:20
I once had the priviledge of flying on the Concorde (not at my expense). My recollection was that there was just a bit of turbulance. No sounds that I could detect. Of course, I was just a passenger.

-Lonnie

F14Scott
07-06-2004, 19:49
Funny. Whenever I did the number, I always saw unicorns, heard trumpeting music, and was surrounded by rainbows and dancing leprechauns. Maybe it was all the cough syrup...

TheGrinch
07-12-2004, 13:49
All I ever saw was the Mach indicator and the fuel gauge. Scott will understand. ;f ;f ;f

fingers
07-18-2004, 10:51
Yep, its a non-event.

geoffinak
07-21-2004, 05:48
Ok Guys lets fess up, the first time was just a little kick in the butt, had to be, you worked so hard to get there, so much training, watching others fall by the side. Come on, just a little hugh Ya, this is cool, under your breath... I promise never to tell.
Airplanes, you gotta love them to do them.
Geoff
P.S. Way to go.