Picture Downsizing [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Picture Downsizing

oldfella
07-06-2004, 11:30
I must admit (and have no problem with it) that I'm not the brightest star in the photo editing universe- maybe because I'm an old foggy and don't understand these new camera contraption. The most irritating thing, for me, is not being able to downsize a picture. I have MS Picture-It, HP Photo Imaging, and Photobucket; and have downloaded and discarded a few other programs. What I need is a bright person to show-and-tell me how to go about downsizing a picture, in dummy language. My camera is an Olympus Camedia C-4040Zoom, 4.1 megaPix... much too complicated for me.... any volunteers? Thanks,

Pete - The "Oldfella"

Spen84107
07-06-2004, 12:52
http://www.hp.com/sbso/productivity/howto/imageediting/doit.html

Maybe this will help?

I'm not too familiar with those programs! Good Luck!

hwyhobo
07-06-2004, 13:11
For simple tasks I recommend Irfanview. You can download it from here (http://www.irfanview.com/) - it's freeware.

To downsize in Irfanview, once you open the picture, press Ctrl-R and specify new size. Then press Alt-F, then S, specify new name and save.

Dragline
07-06-2004, 15:55
I have MS Picture It, although I have never used it since I have Photoshop. So I decided to open an image in Picture It just to see if I could answer your question. But for the life of me, (and after only a quick check of the program) I can't see where in the heck the resize option is. It looks like you can do 90 million other things to your images with it, but how they want you to resize it remains a mystery to me.
Maybe if I get more time I'll figure it out.

In the meantime oldfella, what are you physically doing with the images from your camera? How are you getting them from the camera to the computer? And where and how are you storing and filing them?

oldfella
07-06-2004, 17:54
HwyHobo - I tried the program you suggested and couldn't do any thing with it.

Dragline - I've tried to downsize one of the photos from my album to show it on another forum board.. its too big and no matter what I do it still too big. To downsize, crop, etc in MS Picture-It, click on an image from your pictures in MS Picture it; on the left panel, click on "Change Page"- there you can resize, crop, etc. I tried to downsize in inches and pixels and still can't do it.

this is what I get:

http://www.tullatalk.us/oldfella/squirrels01.jpg

Hummm - not too bad this time, but still too big

hwyhobo
07-06-2004, 23:41
Originally posted by oldfella
HwyHobo - I tried the program you suggested and couldn't do any thing with it.Could you be more specific? Did Ctrl-R not work for you? I just tried it here with a new download... works like a charm. Hm.

oldfella
07-07-2004, 07:55
HwyHobo - I couldn't download my picture from my files; tried ctrl-r and all else I thought of... I think I'm a lost cause. Thanks any way.

hwyhobo
07-07-2004, 16:28
There are no lost causes. Since you need to download the pictures, I take it they are not located on your local hard drive. Until you download them, you couldn't process them in Irfanview. Where are they located now? On a website? In your camera?

oldfella
07-07-2004, 17:55
HwyHobo - my pictures are located on my hard drive, in "My Documents" + "My Pictures". I can get them from there or from my album in "MS Picture-It"

DragLine - Sorry I did not answer your last question: I download my pictures via a USB port into my "MS Picture-It" album, which becomes part of "My Pictures" in "My Documents".

Pete

hwyhobo
07-07-2004, 20:54
Aha. That should not be too bad, then. You can do it two ways:

Number ONE
<ol>
<li>Open Irfanview
<li>Go in Windows Explorer to where your pictures are located (My Pictures)
<li>Drag the selected picture on top of the opened Irfanview window and drop it. Picture should open up within Irfanview.
<li>Press Ctr-R, type in new size. Click OK (or Apply, or whatever it may be -- I am not in front of my Windows computer).
<li>Press Alt-F, then S, type in new filename, hit enter.
</ol>
Number TWO
<ol>
<li>Open Irfanview
<li>Press Alt-F. Select Open. Navigate to the area on the disk where your pictures are located (My Pictures). Select picture you want to open. Hit enter. Picture should open up within Irfanview.
<li>Press Ctr-R, type in new size. Click OK (or Apply, or whatever it may be -- I am not in front of my Windows computer).
<li>Press Alt-F, then S, type in new filename, hit enter.
</ol>

oldfella
07-07-2004, 21:24
Thanks, HwyHobo - I've printed your instructions and will try it tomorrow... will let you know. I appreciate staying with on this.

Pete

nipperwolf
07-08-2004, 04:11
I recently found the easiest way to downsize, and it was already in my computer.

open pic in "paint"

click "image"

click "sretch/skew"

enter reduced percentages(keeping both the same) in the horizontal and vertical.

example, for a 1600x1200 pic, enter 40%, and it becomes a 640x480.

oldfella
07-08-2004, 08:15
HwyHobo - InfraView doesn't work for me: the picture doesn't drag and "My Pictures" do not open (1st & 2nd options). I'm going to leave there.

NipperWolf - The paint thing, after fooling a bit with it, seems to work. I'm going to try that system on future pictures.

Thanks, both of you.

Pete (The Oldfella)

hwyhobo
07-08-2004, 12:00
Can you describe what happens when you try to drag a picture? I haven't seen the symptoms you are describing and would like to figure out what is happening regardless of the Irfanview thing.

oldfella
07-08-2004, 13:53
HwyHobo - When attempting to drag you see the "can't do" symbol - a circle with a slash in center.

on the second option go to file (Alt-F), click "Open", select "My Pictures" and I get a bank window.

After fooling with "File" (Alt-F) I notice it's calling for a source to acquire from - either Scanner, Web Cam, or camera.. nothing from an existing file/album. Based on these findings I think that "Infraview" is not designed to work on pictures already on file.

hwyhobo
07-08-2004, 18:35
Alt-F - A is "Acquire". I use Irfanview regularly, I assure you it works nicely with pictures on file.

As to the rest of the symptoms you have described, I am a bit at a loss. What operating system are you using? Windows XP? I am wondering if there is anything related to permissions that may be causing you headaches. Are there any Win XP/2000 experts lurking on this forum who could address this problem?

oldfella
07-08-2004, 19:01
HwyHobo - I have WinXP... and BTW, "ALT-F" is a shortcut for "File" - at least it is on WinXp. Click on "File", after that use "ALT-F" and you'll see what I mean.

I have been fooling with my MS Picture-It program, and I think I finally found how to go about downsizing. I'll have to refine the technique using both inches and pixels.

Thanks for your help.

Pete (The Oldfella)

hwyhobo
07-08-2004, 21:12
Yes, I agree about Alt-F. Notice I mentioned "Alt-F - A" as "Acquire". Sometimes people instinctively use that combination for "Save As", but that's not what it stands for in Irfanview (which was an unfortunate choice in my opinion). I thought that's what might have happened to you.

Dragline
07-12-2004, 17:43
DragLine- Sorry I did not answer your last question: I download my pictures via a USB port into my "MS Picture-It" album, which becomes part of "My Pictures" in "My Documents".

Pete

Ok Pete, here is something to consider for storing and filing images.
Or at least, it's what I do and has been working great for me for the past three years.

I'll make a folder on my C drive. Call it whatever you want. You have an Olympus camera, let's say you call it "Olympus Pics".
Within that folder create new folders for every new subject or event.

For instance:

Day at the beach
Joe's birthday party
Grandson Frankie
Fluffy
Spot (all my pets have their own folders)
New car
Backyard flowers
Big blizzard
etc., etc.
All pics with those subjects get put in their own folder.

Then...when the main file starts to get close to 700MB, I burn it to a CD, delete it (eventually) off my drive to save space, and start all over agian with a new main folder adding subjects as I go.
If I do go to an event or away for a weekend where I took lots of pics and that folder alone is 300-400MB, it gets it's own seperate folder on the C Drive, then copied to CD with another large folder whenever that comes up.

Why do this?

Say 2 years from now you want to find that pic of cousin Kenny from Joe's party. If all your images are all lumped together, you could take forever to find it. But if instead, all you have to do is flip through a few (dated and properly labled CD's) finding it will be a snap.
Well...that is until you have a few dozen CD's. ;) :)

Have fun.

oldfella
07-12-2004, 19:17
Thanks, Dragline, I'll try that. Right now all of the pictures I download from my camera, emails. scanner or webcam go into "My Pictures" (C Drive) - then they become part of my "MS Picture-It" album, I can see them all in thumb-nail size; so, actually I have no problems identifying them.

BTW - I'm learning how to downsize using the various photo programs. Again, Thanks.

Pete (The Oldfella)

WolfmanGK
11-18-2004, 19:44
HwyHobo - When attempting to drag you see the "can't do" symbol - a circle with a slash in center.

on the second option go to file (Alt-F), click "Open", select "My Pictures" and I get a bank window.

After fooling with "File" (Alt-F) I notice it's calling for a source to acquire from - either Scanner, Web Cam, or camera.. nothing from an existing file/album. Based on these findings I think that "Infraview" is not designed to work on pictures already on file.

Pete, my biggest gripe with Windows Media Viewer is that you cannot drag and drop pictures from it. Virtually any other picture/ media viewer will allow you to drag and drop the picture.

Dragline is right, keeping the original high resolution pictures is very important. Burning them to CD (Burnable CD's have a useful life of over 100 years) is a good idea when the folder gets too full.

TBO
11-23-2004, 09:23
Open the file where the photo you want to use is.

Use the mouse to put the pointer over the thumbnail of the photo and right click on it.

Sellect "send to mail recipient"

When it asks if you want to have it resized sellect "yes"

It will open a new mail form with the resized file attached (outlook express)

Drag the file off the page onto your desktop (never drag into the same folder it came from as it has the same name as the origional and if you replace the origional by accident, it's gone.

Good luck

pluvo
12-02-2004, 03:29
The problem isn't with you, it's with Microsoft.

As we all know , Microsoft doesn't like to play well with others. PictureIt! uses a closed proprietary format (.mix) by default. Pictures should be saved in an open format (.jpg, .gif, .tiff, even .bmp) so they can be used by other graphics programs.

If you still have PictureIt! installed, you're in luck. Just open your pictures and 'save as' another format such as .jpg (pretty much the web standard). I've never worked with PictureIt!, so you might have to 'export' or something similar to the new format instead of 'save as'.

Like Dragline said, treat your digital pictures as you would 'real' 35mm photos. Leave your originals (think negatives) unaltered and uncompressed in a non-lossy format such as .tiff. Then as you make changes, save them in a compressed format like .jpg. This way you'll always have your 'negatives' to fall back on.

I mostly use Microsoft Photo Editorsince that's what was installed on the PCs at work. It does most everything I need, such as crop, resize, color correction, etc. It even has some neat effects such as watercolor, pen & ink, and charcoal.

Here is 10 Ring Tao's avatar, to use something we're familair with:
http://img92.exs.cx/img92/9581/cd-tummy-glock.jpg

Watercolor painting:
http://img92.exs.cx/img92/618/3f-tummy-glock-water.jpg

Pen & ink:
http://img92.exs.cx/img92/530/1d-tummy-glock-pen.jpg

Charcoal:
http://img92.exs.cx/img92/6876/52-tummy-glock-charc.jpg

I attached a zip of MS Photo Editor. Just download it and unzip it into a directory of it's own. Nothing to install, except maybe a shortcut on your Desktop or in the Start menu.

Enjoy!

chevrofreak
12-02-2004, 17:04
nice little program

GTIMANiac
12-31-2004, 20:49
I love www.robophoto.com for recursivley resizing images. Works great, fairly fast, and maintains aspect ratio as well as giving you the option to watermark text at the same time.

smokey45
12-04-2005, 09:03
Not to get back of topic or anything but, The drag marks in your frames look normal. I'm more concerned about the battering of your locking block. Bout time for some new recoil springs me thinks!
s45

mitchshrader
01-11-2006, 20:52
focus on glocks. i mean. SOME times. ;)