I need Firefox spellchecker help! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I need Firefox spellchecker help!

Dead Man's Hand
07-06-2004, 14:27
Okay I downloaded the new version of Firefox and followed the directions in the "Which browser is best?" thread, the spellchecker is there but whenever I download a dictionary it does not become a choice in the spellchecker. HELP! ;g

srhoades
07-06-2004, 16:58
Did you close the browser and restart it?

Dead Man's Hand
07-06-2004, 17:07
Yep

Dead Man's Hand
07-06-2004, 22:34
Does anyone know if there is a spell checker for the new version of Thunderbird too?

Once I get these features up I can stop using IE and OE for good. ;a

Harlequin
07-07-2004, 05:35
Thunderbird comes with a spellchecker.

The instructions I gave from the page at http://www.4serendipity.com/journal/archives/000140.html have worked perfectly on my machine. It even made it through the upgrade to 0.9.1, which some of the extensions had to be played with before they would work properly.

I only installed one dictionary and there was no "choice." I figured there was only a choice if more than one is installed.

Dead Man's Hand
07-07-2004, 13:21
From what I understand in the drop down box where it says download more when you download a dictionary it is supposed to become a choice there but it is not showing up. I have gotten all the other plug-in's to work including the pipelining trick I just need to get this last one going.

I did find the spell checker in Thunderbird though.

Harlequin
07-10-2004, 16:14
Did you get it to work?

Dead Man's Hand
07-10-2004, 19:22
Nope I don't know what else to try. I tried the sequence over and over, I even went as far as to remove FireFox and reinstall and try again, still nothing. :(

The spell checker is there and visable but without a dictionary loaded into it it is pretty useless.

Harlequin
07-11-2004, 08:13
I had a hard time getting it to work the most recent time I installed it. I made two errors. First, the exe version doesn't have the composer.xpt file included with it. The zip version does. I won't work without it I found out (the hard way). I had the same problem you are having until I realized I'd forgotten this file. I pulled it from the zip download.

Also, make sure that when you are asked to install the spellchecker.xpi into your profile, you click "cancel" instead of "ok." I messed this one up as well.

I used the spellchecker.xpi from the latest Mozilla release, which you can browse to while looking for that file on the Mozilla ftp servers. It is working perfectly with the 0.9.2 release so it does work.

Dead Man's Hand
07-11-2004, 16:50
Originally posted by Harlequin
I had a hard time getting it to work the most recent time I installed it. I made two errors. First, the exe version doesn't have the composer.xpt file included with it. The zip version does. I won't work without it I found out (the hard way). I had the same problem you are having until I realized I'd forgotten this file. I pulled it from the zip download.

Also, make sure that when you are asked to install the spellchecker.xpi into your profile, you click "cancel" instead of "ok." I messed this one up as well.

I used the spellchecker.xpi from the latest Mozilla release, which you can browse to while looking for that file on the Mozilla ftp servers. It is working perfectly with the 0.9.2 release so it does work.

I think it must be this composer.xpt file then since I did everything correctly. Where can I find the zip download for the latest Firefox release at? Also where do I move the compser.xpt file to in Firefox's program file folder?

Harlequin
07-11-2004, 21:05
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/0.9.2/Firefox-win32-0.9.2.zip is the link to the zip file. It goes in the Program Files/Mozilla Firefox/Components folder. Why that file is included with the zip but not the exe is beyond me.

Dead Man's Hand
07-11-2004, 23:19
Thanks Harlequin that got it. :cool:

It's not as good as IESpell but it is something.

Harlequin
07-12-2004, 05:46
Glad it finally worked!