if this isn't a "women's issue"... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : if this isn't a "women's issue"...

Mrs. VR
07-06-2004, 20:34
...then I don't know what is! Has anyone had any experience with drawing from a holster? If so, have you ever had a hard time seeing where the holster is because your breasts get in the way? Do women who shoot IPSC/IDPA etc, wear a lower holster? I know it sounds funny, but it's a serious question.

Vic303
07-06-2004, 21:51
If I were to carry OWB/IWB in front of 3:00, or crossdraw, yes, I would have trouble with anatomical interference! It doesn't seem to be as much of an issue with a Smart Carry. When I carry IWB with my UCR, I carry at 3:30-4:30 and have no interference, and it hides WELL!
Hope this helps.
--Vicky

SouthernGal
07-07-2004, 09:23
Nope, can't say as I've ever had that problem. Of course, that could be because I have practically non-existant "B" boobs.

Melissa Ann
07-07-2004, 10:44
Oh yes. I have that problem. ;Q For IDPA, I use a leather safariland belt holster (sorry, I don't remember exactly which one) with the "Adjuster" from Wilson. There are a couple others out there - look for women's offset drop holsters. They take into account the curvier anatomy of women. Not very concealable tho - need long shirts to cover it up. For carry, I'll probably use the safariland holster without the Adjuster.

Good luck

Mrs. VR
07-07-2004, 11:01
thanks, very helpful. We live in a non-carry state, so concealable isn't an issue, but Im probably going to be trying some IPSC shooting in the not too distant future. Now I know what to look for!

vote Republican
07-07-2004, 14:52
;y ;x

Kolchak
07-08-2004, 05:04
For IPSC I use a Cen-Dex Lo' Boy holster. It positions the holster about an inch and a half lower than most so I don't have any problems drawing. I also wear it just in front of my hip so it doesn't stick out to the side too much.

I like these holsters alot, and Frank Spezzano has been a really good guy to deal with. I have rigs for both my Glock and my Beretta.

http://www.cen-dex.com/

Mrs. VR
07-08-2004, 11:48
you ladies are full of good advice! I'll let you know what I end up with.

xena
07-17-2004, 18:23
Hi there

That's not a problem I have! How about a holster that rides on the low side. Blade Tech makes one that might work out for you. Or you could try wearing men's jeans which tend to ride a little lower than those made for women. Good luck!

LJB
07-19-2004, 20:04
LOL! Yep I had that problem when I first started shooting IPSC/USPSA.
When one of the guys asked my why I had a hard time reholstering, I just told him my boob got in the way. He kind of looked at me dumfounded, turned red and said "oh".

I was the only female there and when I would look down, I couldn't see my gun. I actually ended up sewing belt loops about 3 inches lower then the waist of my jeans and that worked great. When I finally could afford a new holster, I bought a Safariland "fast draw holster" and it adjusts to almost any gun I use, and adjusts up and down. Now my gun is at a perfect height.

Now I am having a hard time finding a carry holster that doesn't put the butt of my carry gun into my arm pit. The people in Minnesota get real touchy if I use my competition stuff...;)

I am new to this board and "gasp", I don't own a Glock. I hope you won't hold that against me!
LJB

BikerGoddess
07-19-2004, 20:20
I had some serious bruising until I got the Blade Tech dropped offset. I also wear men's jeans or low-rise womens jeans and an inch and a half belt. That seems to keep it in place a bit better, so that I can pull straight up, rather than into my ribs.

It also helps to wear somewhat tight clothing. I noticed that I couldn't reholster when wearing a baggy t-shirt.

For carry, I have a C-TAC that I wear about 11 o'clock. I imagine that's gonna hurt if I ever need to use it...

Laura

c-mama
07-19-2004, 20:35
Originally posted by LJB
I am new to this board and "gasp", I don't own a Glock. I hope you won't hold that against me!
LJB

Hi LJB and welcome! I didn't own a gun when I first joined and now I just have a revolver - 65LS, although I love my hubby's Glock 17.

vote Republican
07-20-2004, 20:06
Guess who's buying his wife a shiny new Blade-tech drop & offset holster, 2 double mag pouches (Fobus) and extra mags so she can shoot IPSC?

Mrs. VR
07-20-2004, 20:08
I'll let you all know how it works out when it finally gets here.

RussP
07-20-2004, 20:45
Originally posted by vote Republican
Guess who's buying his wife a shiny new Blade-tech drop & offset holster, 2 double mag pouches (Fobus) and extra mags so she can shoot IPSC? You're a good man, VR....

oooppppps, guess I'm outed... I've been lurking....

I've had opportunity to meet a few female officers in our local PDs. A couple are rather well endowed. They seem to use a holster that like VR says, has an offset that cants the pistol butt out on an angle that would encourage a draw out and away from their sides.

Of course, they carry with triple retention, but the principal seems sound.

Hope you don't mind my intruding...;f

mooser
07-22-2004, 17:48
Kramer Leather is one holster maker that comes to mind that has addressed that many Women have a different need in holsters. What I see in classes is that a lot of Women's hips usually will push the holster out on the bottom, which forces the top (handle) of the gun into the ribcage area, which can make it impossible to draw. It is my opinion that some women need a holster that cants outward (away from the body) at the top. Some Women that we train prefer a slighyly forward cant as well. Many of the Women Police Officers that we train that have this problem have opted for a Safariland Holster drop extension, which drops the holster slightly lower and also moves it away from the body slighty.

Stay Safe,
Greg Sullivan "Sully"
Chief Instructor
www.thedefensiveedge.com