DC Distracted Driving Safety Act of 2004 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : DC Distracted Driving Safety Act of 2004

frettedfive
07-08-2004, 10:21
Effective July 1, the District of Columbia is enforcing the new Distracted Driving Safety Act of 2004. This act restricts the use - while driving a vehicle - of a cellular telephone, mobile telephone or other electronic device without the use of a hands-free accessory. Violations can result in a fine of $100.

Though I don't live in DC, I'm curious as to how this law will be applied to mobile ham operation. The wording seems to suggest that a ham talking with a mic in his hand could be charged under the law because the "electronic device" was not hands-free.

If laws such as this start being passed throughout the country, I'm fearful that this could put a damper on mobile ham radios.

Thoughts?

KE5BSR

Geko45
07-08-2004, 10:29
"Are we on VOX!?"
"No"
"Go ahead Houston..."

:joker:

00Buck
07-12-2004, 20:16
I know they were talking about a similar law here and it would include using radios. I guess if you could figure out a way to use a mic with VOX you would be ok but you would have to do it without a headset because they are illegal here too. I have run mobile for many years without a problem. When traffic gets bad I sign off. I can see why people complain about the cell phones though, they are just too distracting for some people.