Problem with Batangas PPO firing range featured in Private Eye Documentary [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Batangas PPO firing range featured in Private Eye Documentary

doctabako
07-09-2004, 12:24
For those who missed it the Public Affairs program "Private Eye" of Channel 2 featured the complaints of residents of Kumintang Ilaya, Batangas City about the Batangas Police Provincial Office(PPO) firing range, ranging from the excessive noise to the ricocheting bullets landing on their houses and backyards.

After watching that documentary one can't help but feel sorry for the poor residents living behind the range's backstop. Living in conditions where there is gunfire at most times of the day coupled with the occassional hail of bullets must be like living in a war zone. Of course the fact that they're living on Government owned land(squatters, I presume) is another problem.

Yes, this is the same range where our province's umbrella shooting organization, the Batangas Shooters Association holds its circuit matches especially during the electoral gun ban so we're sorry that we were probably a party to some of the errant bullets.
It was explained that the use of poppers and plates was the chief cause of the problem and its use was ordered discontinued temporarily until higher berms and overhangs can be installed.
One can imagine that a course of fire without poppers and plates isn't a very exciting one but I guess our friends at the PPO and their visiting shooters will have to bear with it until the problem is rectified.
Our good friend Col. Mar Villafranca (an accomplished Class A Standard shooter)who is the Director for Operations of the Batangas PNP and the Chief range officer did a good job in responding to the complaints to include the impromptu firing demo.
Hope it doesn't come to the point of closing down the range(I don't believe it would) as our police really need the practice.
In the meantime the officers and men of the Batangas PPO who are also regulars at our range in Balayan can use other club's ranges where they can shoot poppers and plates to their hearts content:)

Eye Cutter
07-09-2004, 17:28
yeah, it's really one for the record books! imagine illegal residents living at the back of a legitimate firing range complaining about the noise and lead pollution! onli in da pilipins!

and the gall of these so called broadcast journalists who jump on the bandwagon of sensationalism just to get a story! and to think majority of these broadcast people have ptc's!

paltik45
07-10-2004, 11:11
Yup the power of the mass media. They can glorify a goon and turn him into a saint:soap: JMHO;g It realy depends on what side of the media are you in.

bulm540
07-10-2004, 15:22
Originally posted by Eye Cutter
yeah, it's really one for the record books! imagine illegal residents living at the back of a legitimate firing range complaining about the noise and lead pollution! onli in da pilipins!

and the gall of these so called broadcast journalists who jump on the bandwagon of sensationalism just to get a story! and to think majority of these broadcast people have ptc's!
NOt only the Philippines, neighbors on our range ran us out of our old range in Springfield citing the same problems. The City revoked our variance for the range and we were going to sue each other. We decided to sell the land and lease a property which is 75 miles from my house.

9MX
07-11-2004, 03:48
Originally posted by bulm540
.....We decided to sell the land and lease a property which is 75 miles from my house.

75 miles?! thats a real bummer!;P