injured warriors [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : injured warriors

Bill Powell
07-10-2004, 17:37
I was heading over to the shop today, to do a little welding, when I was held up momentarily by a train with about forty cars of M-1 Abrams tanks. As I sat there watching the train, I suddenly realized that not one of the tanks was healthy. About half of them were missing ground wheels, some were missing tracks, s lot had fenders knocked of, and one had most of the track covers missing and one had burned at the engine compartment. I don't know how many, if any, were combat victims, and how many were accident victims. What I do know is that it was sad to see these magnificent beasts limping home, probably to the repair facility. My neighbor had his comera and took four or five photos for me, which I will post here Monday. You know, these two little wars in Iraq is the first time in history that the US has gone into a conflict with the best tank.

actionpup
07-10-2004, 21:29
Bill,
Be sure and post the pics. I would like to see these injured warriors.
Thanks in advance,
apup

Bill Powell
07-10-2004, 21:45
I'm supposed to get the disc Monday. I'll do it then.

actionpup
07-10-2004, 22:07
I look forward to it. Thanks again Bill.

RussP
07-11-2004, 14:18
Originally posted by Bill Powell
...I don't know how many, if any, were combat victims, and how many were accident victims. What I do know is that it was sad to see these magnificent beasts limping home, probably to the repair facility...Same feeling I get when I see photos of the planes with battle damage. Those planes I flew in back in the '60s, they had souls. Each was different...

Anyone else know what I mean?

Bill Powell
07-11-2004, 15:38
Tell you what, RussP, from the A-10 battle damage I've seen from Iraq, I have a new favorite plane.

I read a story about a B-17 in England. A couple of guys were playing golf when a B-17 skimmed over a low hill, and made a perfect wheels up landing on the gold course. Not knowing a lot about planes, it looked fairly normal to them. When a more knowledgeable guy showed up, they inspected the plane and found no crew. They did find ten parachutes sitting on benches. They also found almost 2,000 bullet holes from the wing trailing edge to the nose. They called the unit the "ghost" plane was from, and the crew was already home. The story they learned was that the plane had developed mechanical problems and was told to return home. On the way back it was bounced by some Focke-Wulfes, and attacked time after time, and time after time, they fought them off. When they got close to
England the Germans left, and the crew decided to jump. Evidently their leaving lightened the plane enough it gained a little altitude, and being in perfect trim, it flew til it ran out of fuel, and made the wheels up landing. They scrapped the plane on the spot.

KNEESINTHEBREEZ
07-11-2004, 22:16
Remember that the damage to the tanks may not be from battle OR accidents. There is always a percentage of failure from normal use as well as times where damage will occur due to "operator head space". It's not as bad as it looks....

Bill Powell
07-12-2004, 05:40
I agree with that. Where they had just come from they were ridden hard and put up wet.

CarlosDJackal
07-14-2004, 20:52
I am more concerned about the troops occupying the battle damaged M-1s than the M-1 itself. Let's hope the tank help up well enough to have allowed their crews to go home to their loved ones.

Bill Powell
07-14-2004, 20:59
I didn't see any obvious battle damage. Non of the hulls were breeched. Mostly broken tracks, ground roller axles sheared off, missing exterior sheet metal, things like that. I've been waiting three days for my photos. I'll post them soon as I get them.

actionpup
07-14-2004, 21:10
Thanks Bill. I appreciate your PM Monday. I am looking forward to seeing them but no rush.
Kevin

skyboss_4evr
07-16-2004, 23:12
A sight like that would sadden me, too. But at the same time I would be uplifted in the knowledge that those tanks (the finest tanks in the world) likely kept their crews safe and saved many lives in spite of the damage they received!

RussP
07-18-2004, 17:35
Originally posted by Bill Powell
Tell you what, RussP, from the A-10 battle damage I've seen from Iraq, I have a new favorite plane.

I read a story about a B-17 in England. A couple of guys were playing golf when a B-17 skimmed over a low hill, and made a perfect wheels up landing on the gold course. Not knowing a lot about planes, it looked fairly normal to them. When a more knowledgeable guy showed up, they inspected the plane and found no crew. They did find ten parachutes sitting on benches. They also found almost 2,000 bullet holes from the wing trailing edge to the nose. They called the unit the "ghost" plane was from, and the crew was already home. The story they learned was that the plane had developed mechanical problems and was told to return home. On the way back it was bounced by some Focke-Wulfes, and attacked time after time, and time after time, they fought them off. When they got close to
England the Germans left, and the crew decided to jump. Evidently their leaving lightened the plane enough it gained a little altitude, and being in perfect trim, it flew til it ran out of fuel, and made the wheels up landing. They scrapped the plane on the spot. The A-10 is the modern day A1-E I flew in. Yep, they can take the hits...

Your story confirms planes have souls...;f

Bill Powell
07-18-2004, 18:08
I forgot to mention, the parachutes found on the plane were the crew's "inspection" chutes. They did it, we did it, and I'm sure the people keep pristeen inspection gear around. I was lucky enough to live around Phoenix when a company was converting B-17s to full wing sprayers, and we were able to fly on them occasionally. In the late fifties Sky Harbor was a cool, dual purpose airport, not like like that synthetic piece of crap they have now. F-100 Super Sabers used the alternate runway for air guard work, and it was chock full of second world war fighters, and light bombers.

Bill Powell
07-20-2004, 15:36
I'm gonna try this. Well, I tried. screwed it up, too.

Bill Powell
07-20-2004, 15:41
I'm gonna try this

actionpup
07-20-2004, 21:05
Thanks for posting the pics Bill. I attempted to view them but my connection is so slow at the moment they timeout before I can see any more than the blue train car. I will try to view them again at the end of the week.

Thanks again for posting them!
apup

Bill Powell
07-21-2004, 04:53
Don't knock yourself out trying to viewe the damned things. i'm going to send the CD to my daughter today, and she's going to make them smaller. She walked me through to get the size, and they were 1,576,000 bytes per picture. Sorry i'm so dumb with this machine.

actionpup
07-21-2004, 18:55
Thanks Bill. Don't feel bad. After meeting those folks at the Atlanta GT shoot and eat, I feel like a technological moron. That is one smart group of folks. I may know human behavior but now realize I don't know squat about today's technology! :)
apup

MR. Fantastic
07-22-2004, 20:19
While I was stationed at the Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center in 29 Palms CA all the equipment we trained with was in really bad shape. Every time I drove past the lot where Alpha Company stored it's tanks I wondered how many of those veicles were actually servicable, because they all looked pretty banged up. Every time we would do a batallion level training exercise I would see tanks, armored personell veichles, 5-tons and especially hummers being towed back to mainside because of training accidents. It was a normal occurance. With all the field training soldiers do it is almost impossible to keep their equipment healthy. I would assume that those tanks were banged up from the wear and tear that occurs during training. I will tell you this however, I fought in Operation Iraqi Freedom and I can tell you those bad boys were a blessing and you always felt safer when you had tanks attatched to your unit. They can really take a beating.

Bill Powell
07-22-2004, 20:40
I was at a jewelry store yesterday, and they had some mahogany M-1 Abrams, attack helos, and such like that. These are not like the models from the Phillipines, painted all the correct colors. These are done in spar varnish in a real high gloss finish. Really cool.

sammich11
07-23-2004, 08:01
A picture on the behalf of my Pappy.

actionpup
07-23-2004, 09:06
Thanks sammich11. With my dial up service I couldn't get the others to load. Now I can see!!!

Hope those warriors are to be patched up and mended soon. Sad to see them down either to rough and tough war games or combat.

sammich11
07-23-2004, 09:11
It is a sad thing to see. There are several other photos of the damaged tanks. It just brings things a little closer to home seeing the photos.

Bill Powell
07-23-2004, 15:55
Thank you Love, for doing that. I owe you one. Well, I owe you lots more than one, but you're supposed to say I OWE YOU ONE,

sammich11
07-23-2004, 15:57
Hi Daddy, do you want any other photos loaded?

Bill Powell
07-23-2004, 16:08
two more if you will. One shot has the track rolled up on the engine cover, and missing track covers (fenders), and one shot has almost all the fender covers missing. All the others are repeats.

Bill Powell
07-24-2004, 11:55
RussP, I have a story, told by a Hell Cat pilot, about a thing that happened to him over the pacific. They got into a scrape, and he took one or two hits in the engine, one of which cut an oil line. It started spraying oil on the windscreen and fuselage of the plane.
He knew where the carriers were, and he figured the closer he got to the carriers before the engine siezed, the shorter the distance he would have to swim. He hit combat emergency power and headed for his floating home. The oil spray stopped, and the engine continued to run. The oil pressure hit zero, and the engine continued to run, and it ran til the carrier came into sight. He let them know what the problem was and headed straight in. When he killed the throttle, the engine seized so fast that it sheared the prop shaft, and he made a glide in, with manual controls. He made it down safely, and when they tried to tear the engine down, they had to cut it apart with a bandsaw. They figure the bearings had turned to molten metal, and served as his bearings til the RPMs slowed.

If a lot of the old warbirds don't have souls, they should.

Bill Powell
07-25-2004, 00:44
At the end of the second war there still guys in North Africa flying the old P-40. When people tried to take them away, they were attacked with hatchets. Two reasons. The P-40, as a low level attack aircraft, had few peers. The second was that fighting in North Africa was like flying over the ocean, only with less chance of getting wet, and the P-40 would take you into harm's way, and take you home again, with large holes in its ass. Not many planes would do that. Well, enough of that. This concerns an injured P-40.

The pilot was on a mission, hundreds of miles from his own base, when he took some hits, including a cannon round just outside his left window, which put shrapnel into his left arm and leg. He was concious, and functual, except for his paralized left arm. He headed home, trying to figure out how he was going to land that bird without being killed, and the landing gear crank had to be operated by his left hand, and his left arm didn't work, and he was afraid to look at it, cause he could feel the blood running down it.

By the time he got home, he had a plan. He figured he could grab the stick with his legs, lean forward to the left, and crank down the landing gear with his right hand. When he got everything ready and leaned forward, his left cuff slid off the window winder handle that had had it trapped those hours coming home. He was able to land it normally, cause it turned out his wounds were made by shrapnel about the size of match heads. He said he was afraid to talk about it for awhile, cause he was embarrassed by it.

sammich11
07-26-2004, 16:01
Pictures posted for Bill Powell "aka" My Pappy

sammich11
07-26-2004, 16:02
and again

Bill Powell
07-26-2004, 18:30
Thank you my love, you done good.