SLOW Cox. Power fail, now slow. need help [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : SLOW Cox. Power fail, now slow. need help

wildearp
07-11-2004, 19:57
I am pretty computer savvy, but I am getting kicked here. We had a power sag due to lightning yesterday. I couldn't get on the intarweb for a while and now things are slow, intermittently. I had to reset the modem to get it to operate. Some pages load normally, but most will load partially (slowly) or just the header. I have had a similar problem about every 3 months. It works very well and then does this same thing. This time it appears tied to this electrical power event.

I have no spy ware, I have system restored to a time point before this event. My system is very clean.

When I call Cox, they always want to come in my house, although I suspect it is a problem with their equipment. They will do absolutely nothing until they dispatch a tech. If there is a known problem in the area they will never admit it.

Task manager shows nothing is going on when page loading seems to stall.

Help, please. Any ideas? Anyone have similar experience?

JCM298
07-11-2004, 21:16
I had a similar problem today but it only lasted about five minutes.

For the past month, I would loose the internet connection, call Cox, get nothing accomplished, but, after the call, I would have no problem staying on the net for a few days. Then it would start all over again.

Last week, I called three days in a row. On Thursday, a tech came out and replaced the cable from the Cox central box to the modem. Since then, I've had no problem until today. The situation today may have been weather related because of thunder/lightening storms in the mountains NE of Tucson.

According to Cox, they were having problems in Scottsdale and Tucson about two weeks ago.

Where are you located in AZ?

John

HerrGlock
07-11-2004, 21:30
I would bet that a router in your sub-net came up half duplex for a full duplex link or visa-versa. Someone set them up as the other one and the power outage reset the systems. This happens more often than people relize and it's a royal bear to find and/or figure out what's wrong.

Check to make sure yours are correct first. If they're all on auto, change them to full (switch) or half (hub) and see if that helps.

DanH

SamBuca
07-12-2004, 12:26
If you did a system restore, run Windows Update again. You may have inadvertantly wiped out an update.

As for slowness...sometimes it's just slow.

physicsdevil
07-12-2004, 13:46
Try running traceroutes out of your network to determine where the latency is. If the issue is in-fact router related, as HerrGlock suggests, then the latency should show up on the hop after the problem router.

wildearp
07-12-2004, 21:14
Thanks, I suspect it is router equipment that cox has or they have signal level issues. I am in Tucson, East side, Houghton-Golflinks. The problem is getting the COX asshats to admit they have a problem and to fix it. I don't know how to to the trace/ping thing, but that is what I need to do. How do I do that? How do I do the full/half thing? I am computer savvy, not router and infrastructure savvy.

Thanks,